• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sleep

unforgiven

Hit this book, brothers - I know I've pushed it before.  The Team Sergeant in this book is Randy Derr - he was one of my Jumpmaster Instructors in 1995, in 1 SFG(A). 

This book parallels my deployment in Afghaniland.  I bumped into Randy in the TOC in J-Bad when we landed, just when his mission was starting there.  Got the full intel dump straight from my old JM Instructor, who to contact, what freqs to use on the radio when/if things go south.  Bad motherfucker.  :hail:  His data-dump ended up paying off, too.

Check it out - it's one of these two covers, but this is the book:

Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the  Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley: Fry, Ronald, Tuleja,  Tad: 9780316341448: Amazon.com: Books

Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the  Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley by Ronald Fry

25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That sleep technique listed above works.  I learned that decades ago - it works most of the time.  During times if Significant Emotional Events, it doesn't work.  Melatonin 5mg does it for me, most of the time just one, depending on the circumstances, 2 of those little happy bastards.  Out in less than 30 minutes with those, for me.

Sleep is super important for performance, cant state that enough.  The worst I've had it is 15 minutes of sleep in 96 hours (that's 4 days).  That sucked, but sometimes it has to be done.  That's pushing your body to it's very limits, right there.  Only do that when necessary, and not on a bender...   I've done alot of 72-hour sessions, out of necessity as well.  Can't be helped. 

The most shiit thing, even more then the 96-hr thing, was landing in Afghaniland.  We hit the ground, and had 36 hours before getting on a helicopter in the middle of the night, landing at some outpost (turned out is was later named "Camp Blessing*), to get in Toyotas to drive another 40 miles in the dark, through the night, to arrive at an encampment in Khowst.  From there, it was daylight, and we re-arranged gear, and left to climb a 2k foot tall hill, to provide electronic overwatch for the night.  I was up all night.  We came down in the morning, only to move out immediately and go on a 20-mile nature hike up a valley that no American had been in since 1995.  That was a joy.

That ended up being another 96er, or more.  I don't even remember now, unless I'd really think about it and add the hours up.  It was miserable, but had to be done. 

The flight to Afghaniland was pure pleasure, though.  Get on the plane, Medic comes around and gives everyone an Ambien or Halcion.  OUT!...  zzzz....  15 minutes before we land, Medic comes around and wakes everyone up, and hands you a Dexedrine or Modafinil.  Instant awake, and alert!  Got hit with that for the flight to Germany, and from Germany to Baghram AB.  Lots of sleep on that flight - but then lots of awake after that, too.  We needed it.  Certain units in the military are drug pushers... 

Wow! Our medics definitely weren't that way. Sounds like it was mostly helpful with what you guys were doing.

1 minute ago, Czgunner said:

Wow! Our medics definitely weren't that way. Sounds like it was mostly helpful with what you guys were doing.

We had some pretty cool Medics, man.  Better than some of the ER Docs you'll ever see in the .civ world.  Badasses.  :hail:

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hit this book, brothers - I know I've pushed it before.  The Team Sergeant in this book is Randy Derr - he was one of my Jumpmaster Instructors in 1995, in 1 SFG(A). 

This book parallels my deployment in Afghaniland.  I bumped into Randy in the TOC in J-Bad when we landed, just when his mission was starting there.  Got the full intel dump straight from my old JM Instructor, who to contact, what freqs to use on the radio when/if things go south.  Bad motherfucker.  :hail:  His data-dump ended up paying off, too.

Check it out - it's one of these two covers, but this is the book:

Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the  Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley: Fry, Ronald, Tuleja,  Tad: 9780316341448: Amazon.com: Books

Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the  Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley by Ronald Fry

I can vouch for the book both great and sad read. The man had principal's and loved his men. God bless them all.

He talks about it in the book - Initially in Pech Valley, at FOB Catamount.  Later, the FOB was renamed Camp Blessing.  That's for SGT Jay Blessing, 2d Ranger Bn Armorer.  He got hit with a command-detonated IED that took the drivers seat right out of the HMMWV.  The only guy we lost on that deployment, was him.  There's never any way to get payback for something like that, but we did our best for him.  2 valleys later, we applied some judicious use of gunships to do bad things to bad people. 

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

He talks about it in the book - Initially in Pech Valley, at FOB Catamount.  Later, the FOB was renamed Camp Blessing.  That's for SGT Jay Blessing, 2d Ranger Bn Armorer.  He got hit with a command-detonated IED that took the drivers seat right out of the HMMWV.  The only guy we lost on that deployment, was him.  There's never any way to get payback for something like that, but we did our best for him.  2 valleys later, we applied some judicious use of gunships to do bad things to bad people. 

Good for you guys. Most people don't/can't understand how it feels to lose brothers in arms.