• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sleep

unforgiven

https://coach.nine.com.au/latest/tiktok-fitness-furu-military-technique-falling-asleep-in-two-minutes/a0021ad7-c8dd-410d-9724-a19ff5455321  something that would seem to be a no brainer isn't as easy for some. So important for overall health. Life can make it difficult. The benefits of exercise is it also promots sleep. I've tried it, relaxing the facial muscles and keeping thoughts out. It's worked for me.Sometimes you can worry about going to sleep and it can add to sleep deprivation. Also if you get up tired you might want to have a Sleep study done to eliminate sleep apnea. That ( sleep apnea) can have unhealthy side effects. Reggie White Green Bay Packers succumbed to sleep apnea. 

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

I use a sound machine also for my tinnitus,

What's working for you? That schits been kicking my arse lately, getting harder and harder to hear what some people are saying, certain voices seem to just get drowned out by the screech, mostly female voices so it's not all bad I guess...........

after Playing drums in a rock band for 17 years and then guns my tinnitus is horrible a steady ringing that just gets louder hearing aids work very well to eliminate the ringing but  I can not stand wearing them as the sound coming in is not as good of quality as normal sound it is a two edged sword!

On 2/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, unforgiven said:

https://coach.nine.com.au/latest/tiktok-fitness-furu-military-technique-falling-asleep-in-two-minutes/a0021ad7-c8dd-410d-9724-a19ff5455321  something that would seem to be a no brainer isn't as easy for some. So important for overall health. Life can make it difficult. The benefits of exercise is it also promots sleep. I've tried it, relaxing the facial muscles and keeping thoughts out. It's worked for me.Sometimes you can worry about going to sleep and it can add to sleep deprivation. Also if you get up tired you might want to have a Sleep study done to eliminate sleep apnea. That ( sleep apnea) can have unhealthy side effects. Reggie White Green Bay Packers succumbed to sleep apnea. 

For those of you having trouble accessing the Link to Military sleep I copied it for easy access:

Military Get to Sleep Process

Justin says that to begin, take a few deep breaths and, from head to toe, consciously relax each part of your body.

"Start by relaxing the muscles in your forehead," Justin said.

"Relax your eyes, your cheeks, your jaw and focus on your breathing. Now go down to your neck and your shoulders.

Justin says it's crucial to ensure your shoulders aren't "tensed up," and says to drop them as low as possible while keeping your arms loose, by your side — including your hands and fingers.

As you do this, imagine a warmth going from your head to the tips of your fingers, and then going from your heart to your toes.

"Now, take a deep breath and slowly exhale, relaxing your chest, your stomach, down to your thighs, knees, legs and feet," he said.

He also emphasises that it's important to clear your mind of any thoughts or stress, which you can do by thinking of two scenarios.

"One — you're lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you," Justin said, before adding the second: "Two — you're lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch black room."

If you find yourself getting distracted, he said to repeat the words, "don't think, don't think, don't think" for 10 seconds.

"You're supposed to practice every night for six weeks," Justin concluded, saying that apparently, 96 per cent of people who master this technique are able to fall asleep within two minutes of closing their eyes.

users were quick to comment their thoughts on the technique's effectiveness, with some claiming to have military ties.

"I'm a military brat and was taught this," one user commented. "I also had a veteran as a psychology teacher in college who taught this. It definitely works."

"My doctor taught me this technique with slight variations when I had insomnia due to PTSD," another wrote. "Trust me it works 100 per cent once you get it down."

So the way it was explained to me is that you hear due to a bone in your ear with hair's that discern frequency and the ring is the brain looking for the frequency that has been damaged. Due to hair's knocked off which happens to a slower degree as we age. It's not a symptom but a result of. Sometimes it's a result of a neurology problem which it's never good. THC might help if you don't have to drug test for work.

Edited by unforgiven

I take a lot of melatonin. I have 5mg tablets for normal days and 10mg tablets when I am having a hard time crashing and need to force myself down for 3 or 4 hours. Usually wash it down with some melatonin/ chamomile sleep tea lol. Works pretty fast that way. Lately I've been able to fall asleep naturally just watching TV shows on my phone laying in bed, and I've been trying to avoid taking anything if I don't need it. 

I had been taking Naproxen 500 mg X 2 for over 30 years. Now in retirement I noticed that the tinnitus would ramp up after taking it. I quit cold turkey felt $hitty for awhile took 6 mos to get it out of my system. Just a vitamin D and over the counter Tylenol at night now. Shift work is hard for the times I did it as a Tinner during shutdowns it took a few days to get used to going back to days. 

I've had sleep issues for decades.  Best thing I ever did was lose a bunch of weight.  That got rid of my sleep apnea. I too use a white noise machine.  Basically a sound loop of crickets chirping. I also started using this supplement a while back. https://biotest.t-nation.com/products/z-12.       It basically is a gaba supplement/enhancer.  Increased my sleep by about an hour a night according to my fitness tracking watch.  No "hangover" or grogginess the next morning.  Works for me.  Maybe it'll help someone else. 

That sleep technique listed above works.  I learned that decades ago - it works most of the time.  During times if Significant Emotional Events, it doesn't work.  Melatonin 5mg does it for me, most of the time just one, depending on the circumstances, 2 of those little happy bastards.  Out in less than 30 minutes with those, for me.

Sleep is super important for performance, cant state that enough.  The worst I've had it is 15 minutes of sleep in 96 hours (that's 4 days).  That sucked, but sometimes it has to be done.  That's pushing your body to it's very limits, right there.  Only do that when necessary, and not on a bender...   I've done alot of 72-hour sessions, out of necessity as well.  Can't be helped. 

The most shiit thing, even more then the 96-hr thing, was landing in Afghaniland.  We hit the ground, and had 36 hours before getting on a helicopter in the middle of the night, landing at some outpost (turned out is was later named "Camp Blessing*), to get in Toyotas to drive another 40 miles in the dark, through the night, to arrive at an encampment in Khowst.  From there, it was daylight, and we re-arranged gear, and left to climb a 2k foot tall hill, to provide electronic overwatch for the night.  I was up all night.  We came down in the morning, only to move out immediately and go on a 20-mile nature hike up a valley that no American had been in since 1995.  That was a joy.

That ended up being another 96er, or more.  I don't even remember now, unless I'd really think about it and add the hours up.  It was miserable, but had to be done. 

The flight to Afghaniland was pure pleasure, though.  Get on the plane, Medic comes around and gives everyone an Ambien or Halcion.  OUT!...  zzzz....  15 minutes before we land, Medic comes around and wakes everyone up, and hands you a Dexedrine or Modafinil.  Instant awake, and alert!  Got hit with that for the flight to Germany, and from Germany to Baghram AB.  Lots of sleep on that flight - but then lots of awake after that, too.  We needed it.  Certain units in the military are drug pushers... 

Edited by 98Z5V