• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm disappointed my A.P. BCG is chrome-lined internally

Jarhead504

5 minutes ago, Jarhead504 said:

I see my Aero Precision BCG is not chrome-lined internally, like EVERY AR-15 BCG I have ever seen, including theirs.  Seems "cheap".  I paid around $225 for this one.  Even a DPMS AR-10 BCG  is chromed internally.  They could have done better.  Me, I like a chrome-lining.  I suppose I'll shop harder for my next AR-10 BCG.

Edited by Jarhead504

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, Jarhead504 said:

Seems "cheap".  I paid around $225 for this one.  Even a DPMS AR-10 BCG  is chromed internally.

I beg to differ sir, I have owned no less than 3 DPMS LR-308 (DPMS never made an "AR-10 after all) platforms, and none (zero) had a chromed bore for the bolt assembly. Having owned ~6 large frame AR platforms over the last decade or so, I don't recall a single one having a chromed bore in the BCG. I'm curious as to what exactly makes the lack of it "cheap" to borrow your expression. I've got over 8,000 rounds of wear & tear on a BCG and no functionality issues have arisen. I have to confess I don't understand what makes the chroming valuable to the efficacy or performance of the plaform.

The advantages of chrome lining were mostly long term exposure to the elements and long periods of time in harsh environments without maintenance allowing rust/corrosion making the weapon inoperable.  Chrome linings also offer wear resistance and function improvements (less friction) than bare non-coated steel.  The Mil-spec for the M-16 specifies a chrome lined BCG and chrome lined barrel, nearly as I can remember.  The BCG may have also required a black coating on the exterior but once again going from memory here.  I retired in 2003, after 20 years as an SAI, and ran the armory/did all the small arms training for assigned personal at my units for most of my career.  I've been out of the game for a while, but still use and prefer Mil-spec components for my own AR weapons, especially chrome lined barrels.  Chrome lined barrels used to be more common, but to be competitive you'll see more companies offering nitride and phosphate coatings instead (or no coating at all).  I've seen some folks dub the chrome lined barrels typically not as accurate on some Forums which muddies the water a bit and may be attempts to justify them buying and owning the cheaper barrels, but that's just a guess on my part. 

For myself, and the way I use most of my AR-15's we're burning them up at the range at CTG's 3-4 times a year.  Seldom if ever sand bagging them for accuracy testing at longer distances.  I don't cut em any slack and often they get so hot you need welding gloves to hang on to them!....And why I typically take no less than 3 or 4 to any outing so you can grab a cool one and keep burning up ammo.  After range day they go straight into the gun safe and most of the time I don't do much more than wipe them off.  I know because they use Mil-spec components that's it one less thing for me to worry about if it's a while before I get around to cleaning them, and if I need to pull them out for use before that happens that they are going to "run".........

Edited by Cliff R