• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Plano gun case

hobbesgunner

IMG00983-20111201-1941.jpg

This is the Gun Guard 36" from Plano.

These were on sale at Walmart for $30 recently, they only had 1 left when I got there. Normal retail is probably sub $100.

This is nowhere near the quality of a Hardigg or Pelican case, however it is not too far behind. Features:

Made in the USA

5 latches, 2 that have internal locks (cheap style, probably all are keyed alike)

The latches are easy to use and close solidly. They have a good feel to them.

2 slots for a padlock when the case is closed, this would most likely satisfy TSA for travel.

Waterproof, passed the bathtub test, however the pressure relief valve on this is not automatic like the higher end. If the valve is not closed 100% water would be able to get through.

O-ring provides a nice seal.

Surprisingly light, not a bad case for frequent using or carrying where total protection is not required.

Handle is over-molded and comfortable.

Comes with open cell pick-n-pluck foam of similar quality as the more expensive cases.

Not a huge fan of the pick-n-pluck myself as it took just as long to remove and doesn't give the solid feel of real foam.

Also when your done, you don't get a life size foam gun for the kids to play with. 

Case is pretty solid and will have no problem protecting a firearm.

This is the best cheap (<$100) case I have ever handled.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for an entry level hard case, that is not ready to drop the $200+ for a Hardigg/Pelican case. As with any open cell foam case, this is not an ideal permanent storage solution, but with quality components and good maintenance you shouldn't have any problems.

I haul my .308 in one of the Plano 42" versions - great case.  Anybody hunting for these cases on the internet should search for the "Plano All Weather" cases.  <thumbsup>

?action=dlattach;attach=1891;image

Just like the one I won from Armalite.  Unfortunately it came with the solid foam instead of the one with the squares you just tear out.  :(  I've been too lazy to cut out the shape of my gun so far but it still works GREAT.