• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Colt leaving Connecticut?

I wonder if they have had enough of high taxes, high union labor rates and one of the worst antigun climates in the country?

Colt’s Manufacturing Co. today announced its commitment to create 63 jobs in Osceola County for its new regional headquarters and product manufacturing center.

The center will hire people for engineering and manufacturing jobs, among others. In 2012, Colt’s is projected to begin phasing in the first of 63 jobs paying an average salary of $45,060 to be created during the following three years.

“As a supporter of new job creation and the Second Amendment, this announcement sends the clear message that Florida is both open for business and a defender of our right to bear arms,” Scott said. “My primary responsibility as governor is to be our state’s chief advocate for job creation. My personal involvement in bringing Colt to Florida demonstrates my administration’s deep commitment to rebuilding our economy.”

Colt’s Manufacturing is making a $2.5 million capital investment in a vacant building, which the company will lease (the former Osceola County Council on Aging facility on Shady Lane), that is owned by Osceola County. Scott and his economic development team at Enterprise Florida Inc. and the Osceola County Economic Development Department worked with Colt’s to bring this project to fruition, according to a press release from the governor’s office.

• 4 weeks later...

Brother imschur, high union labor rates ? So then the people don't deserve the wages they work for? Can you or I decide what someone is worth that is so subjective I know that I don't have that right nor would dare.I guess it's OK for Corporations to profit but the people were making to much money,so let's find people that will settle for less...but the price of the products won't be less.The erosion of the middle class for profit,so many will lose their jobs and others will gain. A form of Darwinism? So will the skill level remain the same? The craftmanship? You get what you pay for.I will not support union busters,I cannot then unfortunately buy Colt products and will encorage my friends to do the same Respectfully, Rene

Don't get me started on Unions.  Personally I'd never join one.  Look at it this way though.  They can hire more employees, granted at a lower rate, but they create more jobs and spread the wealth to more people that way

Ask the Postal Service how Unions are working out for them.  :o

I see a need for unions when dealing with tyrant employers. If the employers are fair, then I see no reason for the unions... Lest they become tyrants in the absence of opposition.

I'm the VP of our union, and I wish everyday that we weren't needed. If Colt is bringing good jobs and willing to take care of their employees, then I wish them all the best.

I'm the VP of our union, and I wish everyday that we weren't needed......but you are needed,if you felt you weren't you wouldn't have gotten involved or am mistaken? To run for office is a commitment,as VP you are very committed.You saw a need to help your brothers and sisters and made that move and I applaud you.In a perfect world employers would pay a good wage with a good health and welfare package for the employee and family.Ours is not a perfect world more employers would rather put more on the check but no insurance and as we know all it takes is one illness to bankrupt a person.As union members we know we can't go to war with the contractor we have to work together to survive and vicea versa.I believe Henry Ford said there is a certain stewardship that comes along with owning a business in providing decent wages and benefits to employees,so that all succeed.Having gotten involved with the political end I also know that bullpoopy comes with that commitment.You would not be VP if your membership didn't believe in you and that you wouldn't throw them under the bus for your own personal gain.Thank you for caring about your brothers and sisters.

I do see a need in some situations for unions but will relay why I don't like unions.

As a youth here in Arizona, once again the negotiations for a contract were failing, so copper miners in Ajo (AH-ho) went on strike.  A man who was on probation (and therefore unable to join the union and unable to strike) was being harrassed as a scab.  A mob of striking union members did a drive-by shooting on his house, striking and killing his little girl.

No one was ever arrested.  None of the union members ever told who the murderers were.

To me, and yes I know it doesn't represent most union people, I don't want to be associated with people that see it as "an unavoidable tragedy" that a child was murdered instead of a "scab".

When working corrections the Fraternal Order of Police just reinforced my belief that current unions are mostly worthless.  The local FOP officers were corrections administrative personell and didn't "want to make waves".  But they'll take money from my already low pay to support the union.

I'll pass.

Jon

This is how it works , if you squeeze the company enough , they will shut down & move . Just the way it is & as much as it is your right to use a union to get more out of them , its there right to get up & move away from it to keep there company solvent . Not so with the public sector , they get what ever they want , because elected officials don't want to make waves for reelection & we the tax payers will pay for it .

I also have a little story , well more than one ,but this one stands out .

Big ship yard on the great lakes , making all the big ship[s for the great lakes & then some , well with four or five different unions , they were taking turns striking just about every year & of course the other union members would not cross the line to work , so the ship yard closed down until the strike was over & they some times lasted for many months .

Well the owner finally got fed up with it & built ,moved the ship yard down to Florida & closed one of the largest employers in the city & thousands of jobs were forever lost.

I'm sure we should blame the company . <dontknow>

Brother Jon those guys were cowards that shot up that house and killed that girl,and the real sick part is those guys know who did it and don't have the balls to come forward.That is an extream situation,but what about the situations that work between labor and management.Not news worthy I guess,good news rarely is.I don't know what you get for your dues,I get a pension and annuity will have to pay a copay on insurance plus I support the retired members while I work.Sorry you are not happy being a union member,if you think the guys at the top are not doing enough run for office make a change.From your posts you strike me as a bright youngman with personality get involved.Like I said before the guys in office need to be changed out they get spoiled and forget who they are working for in this case it's YOU.As for brother Survival have their been abuses of power in the past when times were good, in all honesty I would say yes.The union leaders there did a disservice to there members by going to war with the owner and you will not win,so now all those jobs are gone and that also translates down to the mom and pop shops everyone loses.Chicago has changed it had to in order to survive,the main issue now is not wages as health care.In a perfect world...but ours is not perfect but we strive to become better.And we are humanbeings with everything that comes with that.I get that you guys don't like unions and if that works for you,God Bless You.I am third generation unions have provided me with an opportunity to make a better life for my family and build America,and I have payed the price both knees replaced,strong hand operated twice,nerve on elbow,hearing,not to mention all the poop that I have breathed in.I enjoy the camaraderie of my brothers and sisters and when I die my name will be read at the hall.I just want to be remembered as a good hand no more no less.Respectfully Rene

• 4 weeks later...

"Big ship yard on the great lakes"

My Dad use to work at one, (pipe fitter) the owner moved it to Fla too, this guy also owned a baseball team outta NY. Dad moved on to a big 3 auto maker. They too have been sending jobs out of the country. I know, I work for the same co. A lot of quality issues with parts coming south of the border.

I watch daily as they tear down one of the largest foundrys. It is a large pile of scrap iron now. Jobs gone that will never come back.

Before that I built injection molding machines, a lot of machines went s of the border. Next thing ya know a large, local co closed and sent their rubber maid jobs there too.

If no one is working in this country, who can pay taxes, buy cars, afford ammo and a day at the range?

I'm not in the union but my wages and bennys are what they are because of them, my hat is off. It is sad to see jobs that made us, us, leave.