• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Gen2 bolt catch replacement

AzRon

I replaced the stock bolt catch with a Luth-AR one (I think?)  and it worked until I put a stiffer spring and heavier buffer, now the bolt will catch with an empty mag but as soon I remove the mag the BCG slams shut.

What bolt catch do I need?

Refresh us on the gun-parts details.  Link to the build thread, if necessary. 

Stiffer spring and heavier buffer are now making the BCG drop, when you take the mag out?  But it was fine before the stiffer spring and heavier buffer? 

Makes me think there's a disconnector spring (from a trigger group) in the Bolt Catch hole.  Those two are close in dimensions, but the disconnector spring has a flared end on it, to hold and stay in the trigger.  Put that thing in a mag catch hole, and it can lock the whole thing up.

The DPMS GII bolt catch is proprietary. At this time, there is only one source for them that I am aware of. It is a obscure, relatively new shop machining small batch GII parts out of titanium, and priced to reflect that ($100+ for a BC). I have no experience buying from them, but can link if allowed. There is also a AR 308 bolt catch at CDNN Sports that some claim is actually for a GII, but I can't verify that.

21 hours ago, msgriff said:

The DPMS GII bolt catch is proprietary. At this time, there is only one source for them that I am aware of. It is a obscure, relatively new shop machining small batch GII parts out of titanium, and priced to reflect that ($100+ for a BC). I have no experience buying from them, but can link if allowed. There is also a AR 308 bolt catch at CDNN Sports that some claim is actually for a GII, but I can't verify that.

That would be our little shop, and thanks for the mention!

Our parts are pretty pricy but we're working hard on bringing the prices down. Low volume stuff is always expensive, so the more interest we can drum up the more parts we can make with each run and thereby reduce the cost per part. 

We have an instagram page and a website, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to link them. 

We'll eventually have all the proprietary parts for the GII guns fully stocked, including bolt carrier groups, handguards, charging handles and receivers. 

On 4/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, DefenseDepot said:

We have an instagram page and a website, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to link them. 

I'll make an executive decision to allow it as germaine to the thread overall. Assuming you become more successful in your future endeavors, please think of us when you're prepared to be a forum sponsor. :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I'll make an executive decision to allow it as germaine to the thread overall. Assuming you become more successful in your future endeavors, please think of us when you're prepared to be a forum sponsor. :thumbup:

Thank you, you're much more gracious around here than other forums which will not be mentioned 😅

We would be very happy to be a contributing sponsor once this little venture gets off the ground!

The products previously mentioned are currently available at defense-depot.com and I'd welcome everyone to give our Instagram a follow as we'll try to post updates on products as well as discount codes and the like.