• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help finding or bulding an AR10 Armalite upper

edteach

The issue will be the depth of the tube, the length of the buffer and/or the spring that’s in there. It’s not your carrier.    Trust that info or don’t, but that’s what is causing that. The carrier is traveling too far into the tube, or with such force that it’s compressing the rubber pad at a minimum because it’s too light of a buffer with the wrong spring. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am getting the Stag 2.5 inch 5.4oz buffer and spring for the 308 and my 7.25 OD tube, and the Armalite 5.4 oz with AR15 length buffer and spring witch the longer 7 5/8s tube. So one of these fixes should work well or maybe both will work well. It will be a fun day at the range. Between my search's and this forum I am learning a lot about buffers. I had always thought that buffer did not really matter much. But that is the thing with any hobby. You never stop learning.

Edited by edteach

They should both help one way or another. The armalite has never been found to be a problem and that’s why it’s the go-to for everyone here. There are plenty of others that have worked.  Did you check out the size of the gas port in the barrel?  I haven’t re-read the thread to see if that info came up. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm sure I can learn something from this.  You are correct, Sir.  :thumbup::hail:

Thanks guys. My wife and I were driving and two young 19yo girls were texting and crossed the center line around a corner and hit us head on at 40 mph. My wife PT and go better but my upper neck vertebra was damaged to the point they had to be fused. I used to think whiplash was a scam. But not any  more.

The accident was just about one year ago,, it takes time and a lot of steps to get here. This is why I sold my Harley Davidson Softail Heritage. If we were on the Harley it would be a whole different story. The way people drive today scares me and I am too old to bounce back from even a small bike accident. I have ridden since I was 13. 

While I am recuperating I need to spend a bit of time and get optics for the rifle. What are the best choices for under 200 bucks? I found this one on Amazon that seems like its got good reviews. Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane Riflescopes Along with buying Monstrum Slim Profile Series Offset Cantilever Picatinny Scope Mount | 1 inch Diameter

One thing I noticed, when the bolt is back and locked in by the bolt catch, even if I remove the mag I can not release the bolt by pushing the catch. Its too stiff. It will work when I take a bit of pressure off the bolt by pulling a bit back on the charging handle. My guess is it needs to wear in a bit. It works free enough it is just too much pressure to use the catch.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to take this out to the range. I loaded 165 gr. FMJ over 49 g of H414. Its a bit light of a load. The gun ran good. I had a couple of times that there seemed to be a few times that there was a FTF because of two shells popping out of the mag. The mag is a brand new Pmag 25 round. Most seemed to work just fine. I sighted it in at 100 yards. I did not get a chance to take my brothers AR10 out. I may this weekend.