• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help finding or bulding an AR10 Armalite upper

edteach

4 minutes ago, edteach said:

I did take my buffer apart and the internals are either balls or rods and are pressed in not movable so that fix is out.

That doesn't make any sense - please post pics of what's inside your buffer.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That helps, greatly - get rid of that thing, completely. 

For your Armalite AR-10 lower, just do it right.  GO with the Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension kit that was recommended before.  It's out of stock at Armalite - but call them on the phone, on their contact numbers, and talk to a human there.  That will yield you better results, than waiting for it to show as "in stock."  Trust me on that.

Call them.

Where did you get the recoil system that you have on there now?  Nobody should ever buy what you bought, ever again.  Out that company, for everyone's benefit in the future.

4 minutes ago, edteach said:

I really don't know, It was bought over a year ago and I really don't remember.

No worries.  Don't sweat it - that's why you're here.

Real buffers look like this, and have this for internals.

ar15barrels.com_tech_buffer_construction.jpg

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Where did you get the recoil system that you have on there now?  Nobody should ever buy what you bought, ever again.  Out that company, for everyone's benefit in the future.

@edteach, just to reiterate - where did you get this recoil system for your build.  Nobody ever needs to buy from this place again, and the information needs to be posted, so we all know...   :thumbup:

I have built one AR10 and several AR15s and I buy what ever is cheapest. My first AR10 I bought the upper off of Gun Broker, the lower was a 80 percent and I don't recall where it was from. This lower I bought from an outfit in Montana that makes them. https://80lowers.com/  I don't recall where I bought the buffer for either of the AR10s. I sold my first one to my brother, I will talk to him today and see if he can weigh the buffer. That one worked perfect. When I bought the first lower and second lower it was a bad time to buy any gun. Everything was sold out. I did not know there were two different types of lower and upper configurations and bought an Armalite lower and then bought a DPMS upper off of GB. So I had to buy another lower and build a second one to fit my upper. The upper I paid 560 for complete BCG and all. It has a SS barrel. I will go over to my Brothers today and take a few pictures of it. and weigh the buffer.

OK so I ran over to my brothers house and this is what the first build was, I don't know who made the upper, no marks but on the barrel that just has the SS, 308 Win on it. The buffer is a PSA, and my scales puts it at 4oz. So its most likely 3.8. I think the spring would have been from PSA also. But it seems to work fine.

DSC07475.JPG

DSC07476.JPG

DSC07477.JPG

DSC07478.JPG

1 hour ago, edteach said:

Is there a reason that the AR10 spring and buffer from Stag would not work?https://www.stagarms.com/stag-10-carbine-receiver-extension-kit-stag300732.html

I can call tomorrow and see what the weight of the buffer is, its not on the specs.

Without knowing the specs on the stag buffer and springs it's a crap shoot if it works. I seem to recall 98Z posted he has had to replace those parts on stag guns at his gun dealers shop.

The Armalite set I linked works.

4 hours ago, edteach said:

Is there a reason that the AR10 spring and buffer from Stag would not work?https://www.stagarms.com/stag-10-carbine-receiver-extension-kit-stag300732.html

I can call tomorrow and see what the weight of the buffer is, its not on the specs.

To answer your question bluntly, YES there is a reason the AR10 spring and buffer from Stag will not work.  Most companies out there that sell parts for large frame ARs call them AR10 parts and they ARE NOT.  They ARE NOT AR10 parts because they are either too light to work properly or they are designed for 308 ARs and they did not come out of the Armalite factory.   Unless something came out of the Armalite factory it IS NOT an AR10 part.  

You already have an Armalite AR10 lower.  Other than the fact that you already have a few bits and pieces of a recoil system, why put anyone else's parts in there?

You came here asking for advice on how to get a rifle running.  You got good advice from people who have been where you are and have done that.  Get the parts already suggested here from Armalite and be done with it.  Less dicking around and you'll have a rifle that works. 

12 minutes ago, edteach said:

So a stag upper with a stag BCG will not work with a stag spring and buffer?

Upper and bcg should be fine, both come from the same company and should play well together.   Spring and buffer are working behind the bcg in the buffer tube attached to the lower, a completely different matter.  It all depends on how heavy the buffer is and how stiff the spring is.   If they spec out all should be good.  Thats the big IF.  The main point of saying all this is there is no milspec for 308AR parts.  Companies can make parts any way they want to and call them AR10 parts, and be totally wrong!  True Armalite parts will spec out and will be correct.

Quoting the Stag Arms page.

Carbine Receiver Extension Kit - AR10

Special Price $59.49 WAS $69.99
Qty

Then directly below that they say.
The Stag 10 Carbine Receiver Extension Kit includes everything you would need to install an aftermarket stock onto a .308 carbine set up.

Therein lies the problem!  One place they call it AR10.  The next they say its compatible with a .308 carbine set up.  It kind of throws doubt on whether or not Stag knows or cares about the differences.