Help finding or bulding an AR10 Armalite upper

edteach

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I called Stag and they said that their buffer was 5.4 oz, and the spring was for the AR10 and that their tube for the AR10 was the standard carbine tube. I can not get Armalite to answer a call, I keep getting not able to answer voice. I will try a bit later on in the day. 

I tried one more time and Armalite answered. I was told by Tech that they use the longer tube because they use a 5.4oz buffer that is the same length as a standard AR buffer so the longer tube is needed. So on the Stag they use the shorter 5.4oz buffer and a standard tube is used. Armalite says they have no stock but could put a kit together out of parts an he would check if they had all the parts.

6 hours ago, edteach said:

I tried one more time and Armalite answered. I was told by Tech that they use the longer tube because they use a 5.4oz buffer that is the same length as a standard AR buffer so the longer tube is needed. So on the Stag they use the shorter 5.4oz buffer and a standard tube is used. Armalite says they have no stock but could put a kit together out of parts an he would check if they had all the parts.

As others have said, take the Armalite kit if they can piece it together.  It will be a functioning recoil system without a doubt.  If there is a problem with rifle function, that will not be the problem.

10 hours ago, edteach said:

could put a kit together out of parts an he would check if they had all the parts.

Grab it, I'm, telling you grab it or regret it, you don't know how many others are trying to cobble together a proper system from multiple vendors, getting aggravation and a bunch of shipping charges.

I ordered two sets of the Stag, and one of the Armalite. I want to run the gun with the 3.8 buffer in it, an the Stag and the Armalite. I will see what works and does not work. If the stag works fine I will keep those and send the Armalite back. My first build is a PSA 3.8 and it runs fine. But I want to try the others.

11 hours ago, edteach said:

I called Stag and they said that their buffer was 5.4 oz, and the spring was for the AR10 and that their tube for the AR10 was the standard carbine tube. I can not get Armalite to answer a call, I keep getting not able to answer voice. I will try a bit later on in the day. 

I jusst went through a factory Stag 308 AR for my gun pusher, at the shop and on the range.  The customer checked it in for "gunsmithing" and we took it out and shot it.  I have all the parts to make it run right, so I combined them all and made it right.  The Stag factory 308AR spring was WAY too stiff.  It had to go.  What I put together worked for the customer.   We've been trying to tell you, but you're having a hard time absorbing it.  Time to start listening to the information you're being handed, freely.

11 hours ago, edteach said:

You received good advice - CALL Armalite, on the phone, and talk to a human.  That works, 99% of the time, and they have the proven, original parts.  The ones that really work.

1 hour ago, edteach said:

I ordered two sets of the Stag, and one of the Armalite. I want to run the gun with the 3.8 buffer in it, an the Stag and the Armalite. I will see what works and does not work. If the stag works fine I will keep those and send the Armalite back. My first build is a PSA 3.8 and it runs fine. But I want to try the others.

See, here we go again...

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Grab it, I'm, telling you grab it or regret it, you don't know how many others are trying to cobble together a proper system from multiple vendors, getting aggravation and a bunch of shipping charges.

^^^   Right there, you're being told the best information that you'll ever get, and you keep trying to buck this system here.  You'll learn, and it looks like it's gonna be expensive for you.

Time to stop with the stubborness, and open your ears (eyes in this case).

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You received good advice - CALL Armalite, on the phone, and talk to a human.  That works, 99% of the time, and they have the proven, original parts.  The ones that really work.

He called Armalite and they did exactly what you said they would and pieces together a kit and he bought one.

1 hour ago, edteach said:

Report back when you have tested the various parts to let us know what you discovered.  I bet it will be exactly what you have been told here.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

On 4/16/2022 at 7:21 PM, 98Z5V said:

@edteach, there's a very specific reason that Armalite uses 3.250" buffers that are 5.4oz, in carbine receiver extensions that are 7 5/8" internal depth, with their EA1095 recoil spring.  In ALL their factory AR-10 Carbine Recoil System guns.  Because it works, and doesn't fail, and doesn't compromise any other part of the gas system.

Read this, when you have the time:

I went through all this way back on Page 1 of this conversation.  He obviously didn't read the information.

1 minute ago, edteach said:

The proof will be in the pudding. I will use all three sets and see what works and what does not. Or if all three work. It will be interesting.

The proof is already in the pudding, and it's the pudding I was trying to spoon-feed you, and you wouldn't even nibble.

I've been building these things for 12 years now, in multiple calibers, multiple barrel vendors, and the recoil system always comes back to one thing (or one other combination).  Every time.

3 minutes ago, edteach said:

Well I will see. If nothing ever works why did my firs build with a 3.8oz PSA work fine? I want to try my old gun I sold my bro to see if it works any different with the other two buffers.

It didn't work fine - you didn't know enough about the recoil and gas systems to know any better.  You were beating your parts up, causing unnecessary wear and tear, and didn't even know it - bet it kicked like a mule, too.

We have ALOT of PSA data here.  A metric shiit-ton of it.  And the fixes.

Your PSA worked, for as long as you shot it, with a buffer that was too light, probably had an AR15 carbine recoil spring in it, the gas tube was too short, and the gas port was too small.  But it shot, for you, and you thought it was just fine.  If you had an early one, I'll bet there are marks on your lower receiver, where the BCG was slamming into it.  When you talk to your brother that you sold it to, tell him to send you pics of that area, and post them here.

If you are talking about the reflection on the threads I can tell you its totally black, that is just flash reflection. The only part I see that is similar to your pictures to be totally honest there are two small marks on the lower part of both sides of the tube itself, that is all. And they are really small. 

Edited by edteach

Just now, edteach said:

If you are talking about the reflection on the threads I can tell you its totally black, that is just flash reflection. The only part I see that is similar to your pictures to be totally honest there are two small marks on the lower part of both sides of the tube ring, that is all. And they are really small. 

Exectly - that's where the BCG hit the lower.  My case and point.  Looks like an 80%, too, judging by the lower internals.  Oh well, I'll watch, from here.

My brother wants me to test his out with the Stag and Armalite but if there is no noticeable difference he wants the Stag set with the heavy buffer and spring in it. Since the second rifle has never been shot I will try the Armalite and inspect that area, and then the others on down and inspect after 5 or 10 rounds to see if the marks on mine appear.

Edited by edteach

8 hours ago, edteach said:

If the stag works fine I will keep those and send the Armalite back.

Please post it for sale here, someone is always looking for a proper buffer system. They usually take more than just a click to get so so it would be really handy to have one posted here.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:06 AM, jtallen83 said:

Please post it for sale here, someone is always looking for a proper buffer system. They usually take more than just a click to get so so it would be really handy to have one posted here.

Ditto. I'll buy your Armalite kit for cost + shipping if you decide you don't want it. Somebody will need it in the future.

I think I may have found the issue for the small marks. My BC has the bottom of the carrier like the first image and not like the second one. I am going to take a small file and angle it to make it less abrupt. It would not take much to make it more like the second picture.

1.thumb.jpg.3a7f43c6a612dc503324618c950ba2a2.jpgSE5sylF.thumb.jpg.7750a934c301c5099fa54ad8cebc889e.jpg