• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

oh no, i have the craving to build. need a couple of answers

soofley

ok i've been craving to build a .308 rifle somewhere between 18-21" got a little concern though.

an AR10 upper will only work on armalite/noveske lower, yes?

would a .308 armalite compatible barrel fit on a 7.62/AR10 specified upper and shoot a .308? link says compatible with Armalite/DPMS: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2236

Hiya 

The craving ...I know it well.....the barrel extension  along with the matching bolt ,the upper ,and then how the upper matches to the lower is the requirement.......oh heck...go get you a mega ma10 billet upper/lower set....then you can use either a true ar10 type barrel /bolt or a dpms style barrel/ bolt . ive got two of the mega's.. im partial to them ...but now I "see" I didnt answer the question correctly...you are wanting to know .308 to .762 cartridge compatibilty? without opening a can of worms...yeppers  you can shoot either....I do

Wash

i avoided the mega billet set because it didnt have forward assist(i dunno, for some reason i still find it wierd if theres no forward assist). That and i am bent on getting the iron ridge lower. It seems like forward assist is more common in AR10 rather than 308.

Ye i wanted to be sure if a .308 would work in my build.

Barrel - Rainier Arms DPMS/Armalite compatible: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2236

UPPER: Armalite AR10 upper: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1744

LOWER - Iron Ridge Armalite compatible

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1384

Would an armalite AR10 BCG work .308

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2117

308ar.com's compatability guide said BCGs are interchangeable.

p.s. i am not discounting Armalite parts. I'm just looking for a build that will reliably fire both .308 and 7.62

Hiya Soofley!

"i avoided the mega billet set because it didnt have forward assist(i dunno, for some reason i still find it wierd if theres no forward assist). "

I know what you mean bout the forward assist...all six of my ar15's have it....when I researched this exact same thing on my 308 ar's... I read they arnt there for a reason...its the 308 /762 thingy.....if that big ol buffer/spring ,and big ol bcg wont slam home the shell into battery...you sure as heck dont wanna be forcing the situation with forward assist....this here 308 aint no 223 popgun cartridge....go to arfcom and read bout all the 308/762 cartridges lodged in the chambers ect ect....so  you dont need no stinkin forward assist <laughs>  Wash

Hiya Soofley!

"i avoided the mega billet set because it didnt have forward assist(i dunno, for some reason i still find it wierd if theres no forward assist). "

I know what you mean bout the forward assist...all six of my ar15's have it....when I researched this exact same thing on my 308 ar's... I read they arnt there for a reason...its the 308 /762 thingy.....if that big ol buffer/spring ,and big ol bcg wont slam home the shell into battery...you sure as heck dont wanna be forcing the situation with forward assist....this here 308 aint no 223 popgun cartridge....go to arfcom and read bout all the 308/762 cartridges lodged in the chambers ect ect....so  you dont need no stinkin forward assist <laughs>  Wash

i knew there was  a good reason behind this no forward assist .308 uppers scattered all over the stores. haha great! i might just end up ordering an iron ridge IRA-X set in dpms compatability for the perfect fit. either that or Ma-ten set.

ok i've been craving to build a .308 rifle somewhere between 18-21" got a little concern though.

an AR10 upper will only work on armalite/noveske lower, yes?

would a .308 armalite compatible barrel fit on a 7.62/AR10 specified upper and shoot a .308?

yes it will shoot .308. and armalite uppers will also fit on a larue obr lower

Hi Again    Heres a thought ..no matter what you are going to do,and ive run into this. The ar with matching upper/lower ( from same company) will have a greater resale than the one that doesnt have matching upper/lower.  No matter how much money you have in it,and even if you use the best of the best....it will still be called a "Frankengun"...just sayin  <munch> Wash

I recall reading an article about the value of the forward assist on the AR rifles. I got into it myself, because, I also found the lack of a forward assist disconcerting when I was researching my first .308 AR build. I think that the article said that the forward assist was originally there because the early M16's were jamming due to fouling, when they were first being fielded in Vietnam. Some say due to the wrong powder in the ammo, others say due to lack of maintenance by the GI's and some say due to DI being a bad design for a combat weapon. Anyway, the forward assist was something of a bandaid. it didn't stop the fouling, but enabled the shooter to get the gun into battery when it hung up. I think there was a thread on this forum, where the pros and cons were debated. As stated above, if your .308 AR's bolt doesn't close, it might not be a good idea to try to force it closed with a forward assist.  I think that with the greater spring pressure and bolt mass of the .308, if you keep your gun clean, a bolt that doesn't lock is telling you you've got a bad round that you ought to eject.

Dont forget we have a forum dedicated to IRA

...And...  you need to check this forum closely, if you're thinking about the IRA setups.  Just words of caution.  Phonecalls to them with specific questions might be in order, before sending off a wad of money. 

Again, just words of caution.  <dontknow>