• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

loading cast NOE 225s

BrianK

I'm still learning ALOT(!) about casting and loading cast bullets since I'm a noob with homecast bullets. Maybe this will be old hat to some here. My mind is open if anyone cares to share their knowledge.

Coated 2x, tested some with a gas check and some w/o. It was suggested on the Cast Boolit Forum that a GC bullet is more accurate. Makes sense since the bullet is steered from the rear and not the front. 

I did NOT change all variables when I developed a load to test. I only got the load near subsonic with AA1680 powder and called it good since I was getting close to 100% function w/o a GC. I made them last autumn but didn't get a chance to test them until last weekend. The loads w/o a gas check were disappointing re: accuracy and less than 100% function. But I tested the GC loads (everything else being the same) got a bit more velocity, 100% function, and groups were 1/3 that of the loads w/o GCs; 1.5" @50 yards. I might lower the powder charge a bit to get it more into the subsonic range but if I don't I'm happy with what I have. 

I never thought that a GC would have that big an influence. FWIW, the bases of the bullets w/o the GCs are crisp and sharp. I also might try sizing them .001" larger and see what happens. 

Edited by BrianK

I'm going to tag on to the learning part. Just ordered a melting pot, ingot mold and putting together a list plus reading up on bullet casting. With everything going on up here, adding another process 'in-house' makes sense. Talked to my local scrap metal guy and he's open to setting aside lead for me. There is also a local gunsmith that does a lot of cowboy action stuff and sells refined lead.

I never thought I'd ever cast bullets. But during the Klinton years I saw the writing on the wall and bought 2 55 gallon drums of wheel weights, 1500-1800lbs'. Now I'm glad I have it. At my age it's a lifetime supply. Everything else (except Trail Boss powder) I've stacked high and deep. I'll never live long enough to use all of it. If I do I'll be extremely surprised. 

Canuck', it's a skill worth learning.

I learned on #4 buckshot. If you can cast them and fill out the mould you can cast anything. They were a curse, but ultimately a great learning experience for me.

Edited by BrianK

If I get time I'll dial in these loads a bit more. 

Next on the agenda are bullets in the 150ish grain weight. I have a no GC (gas check) mould in hand designed exclusively for coated bullets and one on it's way to me that takes a gas check. We have an outlaw match once in awhile (If you bring it you can shoot it type match*) and I want to use the 300BLK handgun in it. So a lighter supersonic bullet is what's needed for 200 yard+ shots. I tried to buy 147gr bullet pulls but I couldn't find any. A year ago there were plenty available. Sux to be me I guess. But once I have the moulds I can make what I want and as many as I want so buying it didn't hurt at all.

All of these cast bullets should be usable in .32/20 which is on a back burner at the moment.

*Last year I was going to shoot my suppressed 9mm SBR. I was going to just skip the long range stage and not mortar in my 9mm bullets. But the RO brought a rifle and ammo for me and told me there was no way I was going to not shoot them. But I prefer to shoot my own gun. I think 150s will work fine for me.

What is your coating/lube?

And when you said you are shooting GC/nonGC'd boolits, I hope you weren't shooting the same boolit mould product.....   Shooting a non GC boolit when there is the GC base in the mould WILL have deliterious effects on accuracy.  You will have stuff going downrange, but not near as well as what the mould was intended for.

Just checking to make sure I understand what you meant while typing. 

You read it correctly. I decided to try not putting a GC on a bullet made for one. I had to try it 😊 . I have plenty of GCs on hand and more on order. The GCed bullets worked much better and it's not an issue to put one on as I size them.

I have 2 more moulds on hand for lighter bullets; one that will take a GC and one that is made to be coated with a plain base (no GC). Experiments...

The coating I'm using is Hi-Tec using their  wet method. I coat them 2x then size them. If I need to I'll coat them 3x, but the twice coated pass the tests. But I'd like to recover one that's been fired to eyeball it. Maybe if I soak a stack of magazines overnight to turn them into pulp that might catch them.

So far I'm happy with the results I'm getting. I never dreamt I'd ever actually need to cast bullets even though I had the wheel weights.

Cool.

I figured you meant powder coated but wanted to make sure, as I am known to say I am coating when I am tumble lubing mine.  I use the 45/45/10 on all my boolits, even the 358 Win and have yet to have any problems.  BUT, I wouldn't use it for too many numbers on a gas gun.  Just too much possible leading in the gas system, no matter what, in my mind.  For my RGSR and lever.....no worries.

And trying out things once in a while, that IS the spice of life.......

3 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

even the 358 Win

This one a gas gun, brother?  My .358 Win gas gun is brutal - I need to get that Slash XH buffer in that evil bastard and shoot it again.  Loading 250gr Hornady's in it now.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, 98Z5V said:

This one a gas gun, brother?  My .358 Win gas gun is brutal - I need to get that Slash XH buffer in that evil bastard and shoot it again.  Loading 250gr Hornady's in it now.

No gas guns anymore.....they are all gone.

My 358's are bolt or levergun.  

My comment about shaving off lead comes from reading/my understanding how the gas system works in a gas gun....really didn't have much real world experience,  but have read a few things from years back on castboolits.gunloads.com from guys that did cast for AR'S.   My luck would be to really screw up things and have to start replacing things I didn't want or need to bu casting for an auto.