• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New forum member

Freddie

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I came here looking for help with my build because I really haven't a clue as to what I should do. This is my first build and I am relatively inexperienced with guns. Here's my setup:

American Made Tactical .308 DPMS-style 80% lower
WMD Guns lower parts kit
Ergogrip SUREGRIP
Moriarti Armaments 6-position mil-spec stock kit
Moriarti Armaments 12.5" SOCOM-style pistol upper receiver assembly
Moriarti Armaments nitride bolt carrier group
Moriarti Armaments charging handle
Yankee Hill Machine Co flip-up iron sights

I have owned this rifle for about a year and a half and I have only been able to go out shooting once with it. The screws holding the handguard to the barrel nut warped the screw holes on the handguard while I was shooting and it became too loose to use. I purchased a Midwest Industries handguard as a replacement, but I have NO CLUE what type of barrel nut this is or how to remove it. Moriarti Armaments doesn't have a tool on their website and my upper receiver didn't come with one either. I remember reading somewhere (I don't remember where) that some barrel nuts can come off with a crescent wrench. I tried that but was unsuccessful. I tried pliers with a washrag to prevent damage but It got damaged anyways. I don't have much money and I would rather not purchase another completed upper receiver but I really see no other alternative. Thanks.

20220617_180931.jpg

20220617_181013.jpg

32 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Moriarti Armaments 6-position mil-spec stock kit
Moriarti Armaments 12.5" SOCOM-style pistol upper receiver assembly

The first thing I see is that this might be a short barreled rifle with this configuration instead of an AR pistol.  You might need a pistol buffer tube with a pistol brace on it.  Otherwise, it may be an NFA firearm that requires registration and a tax stamp.  I am not a lawyer or an NFA guru, but it sounds like it could be trouble in it's current state.  I hope I am wrong.

I know that doesn't answer your questions that you came with, but others may be able to look at you pictures and tell you what you need.

Edit:. NFA = National Firearms Act  https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-5

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

The first thing I see is that this might be a short barreled rifle with this configuration instead of an AR pistol.  You might need a pistol buffer tube with a pistol brace on it.  Otherwise, it may be an NFA firearm that requires registration and a tax stamp.  I am not a lawyer or an NFA guru, but it sounds like it could be trouble in it's current state.  I hope I am wrong.

I know that doesn't answer your questions that you came with, but others may be able to look at you pictures and tell you what you need.

Edit:. NFA = National Firearms Act  https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-5

Thanks for the heads up. My understanding was that if the entire rifle was more than 26 inches it was ok but it looks like I might need to change it

5 hours ago, Freddie said:

Thanks for the heads up. My understanding was that if the entire rifle was more than 26 inches it was ok but it looks like I might need to change it

If it has a buttstock on it, and the barrel is less than 16", then it's a Short Barreled Rifle - SBR.  That requires a Tax Stamp, and BATFE approval, before you assemble it.

Don't post pics of the whole gun - just determine what you have, research the laws, and take that gun apart pretty fast.  Completely take it apart.

That 26" rule that you're misunderstanding is for pistols.  Pistols don't have buttstocks.  They can't.  Otherwise, if they do, they're SBRs.

As far as the function of the gun goes, I'm seeing alot of Moriarti parts listed.  That's the function problem.  They used to be a sponsor here, but all they do is "budget gun stuff", which might work for AR15 Small Frame ARs.  That "budget gun stuff" usually works out badly on Large Frame ARs, because it's just shiit. 

We can make the gun work -but you need to get the thing legal.  It doesn't look like it's legal, by your description.  It may never, ever be legal, in the long run.  Once you assemble a pistol, you can convert it to a rifle, and back to a pistol - that's legal.  Once you assemble a rifle - FIRST - you can NEVER convert it to a pistol.  Ever.  That's just how the laws are written.

You might be fucked.  Strip it, rip it, break it all down to individual parts.  Sell everything, get out from under it, and start over, from scratch.  But, research the BATFE laws first, and know what you're getting into before you build the thing. 

Money as an issue sucks, and cheap parts suck - but don't let cheap parts affect you, and be the primary driver in what you're doing.  This hobby isn't cheap - especially on the Large Frame platform here.  Cheap parts will always have you spending more money, just to make the gun right, and run right  -and you could have done it cheaper from the beginning, building a legit gun in the first place.

Sounds harsh, I get it.  It is what it is.  You spend more money making cheap parts run right, overall, once it does run right.