• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 Stuck Cam Pin

I just recieved my AR10 BCG direct from Armalite. I went to dissassemble it for cleaning and lubrication and low and behold the cam bin won't come loose.

I checked to see if it would rotate freely and move up and down and 360 degrees and it moves freely.

I turned it to either flat side and it would not come loose. It keeps on hitting the gas key.

This is a brand new part and should not be happening. It was like they assembled the bolt and then installed the gas key.

I am a very dis satisified customer. If this is the quality I can expect from Armalite then I may not do business with them again.

Put a little lube on the cam pin. Work the bolt back and forth to spread it. Then, with the bolt pushed all the way to the rear, SLOWLY pull the bolt forward while gently lifting up on the cam pin. You should hit a "sweet spot" that'll let you lift the cam pin out. My LWRCi BCG assembly is the same way.

Straight from ArmaLite tech note from their library, Tech note 5...

CAM PIN FIT: Easy does it! Insert the cam pin straight into the carrier with the flat edge of the pin against the carrier key (you don't rotate it 90 degrees like the M-15 cam pin). Until parts are loosened by breaking them in, tight tolerances on the AR-10 sometimes require use of a flat tipped screwdriver or other suitable object to slip the cam pin past the bolt carrier key. The cam pin must never be altered to provide clearance.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tech%20Note%205,%20Errata%20Sheet%20for%20AR-10%20Rifle%20031230.pdf

• 3 months later...

ArmaLite bolts are ALWAYS tight when new.  Use a screwdriver under the cam pin head and it will come out. 

No need to be twisted with ArmaLite.  I'd much rather have my gun start out tight than sloppy.  I work on these guns every day and ArmaLite's quality is head and shoulders above all of the other major players in the .308 AR business.

My advice?  Lube it up and shoot 500 rounds.  There's no need to tear the BCG apart on a new gun anyway.

ArmaLite bolts are ALWAYS tight when new.  Use a screwdriver under the cam pin head and it will come out. 

No need to be twisted with ArmaLite.  I'd much rather have my gun start out tight than sloppy.  I work on these guns every day and ArmaLite's quality is head and shoulders above all of the other major players in the .308 AR business.

My advice?  Lube it up and shoot 500 rounds.  There's no need to tear the BCG apart on a new gun anyway.

Could this be the answer to my question posed in my posts concerning the difficulty I have pulling the charging handle back to open the action from a closed bolt position?  Could my new AR-10 carbine just be tight?  Can I expect it to improve with break-in?