• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Your thoughts on a possible trade please.

DustinIL

Got a possible trade in the works for my ACR  for a POF .308.

He's offering his 20" POF .308 with about 220rds through it for my ACR plus cash. He's asking $500 cash, but I'll offer $400 making it $2000 total, which he offered for trade sake and would be his original trade price minus all the stuff he had with the rifle (scope, sling, foregrip/light). I'm not crazy about the 20" barrel (max I would want is 18"), but should I perhaps get over it cuz it's a good deal? He didn't give me a time frame to decide so I'll ask for a couple/few days (or weekend) to think abut it.

Your thoughts on the value of the trade? Yes, I know either rifle isn't "cheap" but I'd like honest opinions on the value of the deal itself. Thanks all!

Up front, I'm not a fan of the ACR. I've had some trigger time with a friend's and wasn't that impressed with it. I own a POF 5.56 rig and have been more than happy with it. I'd say go for it.

That said, realize you're going from a carbine to a precision/semi-precison rifle. Does it fit in with your shooting regimen and do you have a range or area where you can take advantage of the capabilities of the POF?

Up front, I'm not a fan of the ACR. I've had some trigger time with a friend's and wasn't that impressed with it. I own a POF 5.56 rig and have been more than happy with it. Besides, rumors have it that BM is going to introduce a v2.0 ACR at SHOT this year. I'd say go for it.

That said, realize you're going from a carbine to a precision/semi-precison rifle. Does it fit in with your shooting regimen and do you have a range or area where you can take advantage of the capabilities of the POF?

Don't know if my input is of any value here as I've never shot the ACR, only handled them. That being asid, I think (as mentioned above) the question is more of what your needs/ desires are for the gun, The ACR and POF are not redally comparable, in cal or configuration. If your thinking of selling/trading the ACR in the first place, maybe it didn't meet your expectations? The POF is a full size piston operated battle rifle. Maybe you should give some thought to the POF individually, would a .308 gun fill a need? do you prefer a DI gun to a piston? I find the POF guns to be high quality, well made guns, although somewhat heavier than other similar sized .308 AR's. Good luck with it and let us know what you do.

The age old dilemma of trading a sports car for a luxury vehicle. Trying to compare features is near impossible. I agree with others when they ask, "is a POF what you really want?"

If so, I think your trade is fair. The ACR is nice, and the POF is considered one of the top.

Make sure that POF has all the options you're looking for, or that those options will be available to you in the future.

Yes, the POF would fill a want/need: I sold my only .308 (ptr-91) a few months ago and I'm looking for a replacement, plus it's handier than my M-1 Garand. POF is on my list of possible replacements, as is CMMG, Bushmaster/DPMS, PWS, and possibly LMT. I apologize for not being specific on what I'm trying to compare, which is value, not caliber/rifles themselves. Yes I know one is a rifle and the other a carbine. I like the idea of going piston system running cleaner and easier to clean, but DI would def save me money. The reason I'm selling/trading the ACR is because it's the only firearm I have right now that I'm willing to sell/trade....I have no issues with the ACR. Some people like it, others don't, just like anything else. The reason I'd rather have a 16/18" barrel is for "handiness", like a 16" AR. Am I going to be shooting 1000yds or even 500yds with it? No, cuz to do that I'd have to drive several hours so I'm stuck with 100yds at the moment. Besides, on their website they say their 12" guns are tack drivers too so I find the point moot.

...I like the idea of going piston system running cleaner and easier to clean

That's more of a fringe benefit to a gas piston system. Where a piston system really shines is firing surpressed. Because of the nature of DI, residue from blowback is magnified - excess gas and carbon from the gas tube PLUS gas and residue from the bore . Our M4s would start to choke at around 120 rounds; the shooter would start to choke after about 30 from gas and carbon escaping from the ejection port. A piston system eliminates a lot of the residue and heat coming into the receiver, so there's much less lube burn off.

That's more of a fringe benefit to a gas piston system. Where a piston system really shines is firing surpressed. Because of the nature of DI, residue from blowback is magnified - excess gas and carbon from the gas tube PLUS gas and residue from the bore . Our M4s would start to choke at around 120 rounds; the shooter would start to choke after about 30 from gas and carbon escaping from the ejection port. A piston system eliminates a lot of the residue and heat coming into the receiver, so there's much less lube burn off.

I agree with the surpressed difference between the two gas systems ,but you will find that you substitute one cleaning procedure for another . The piston systems are not cleaner , your just putting the propellant fouling from one place to another . Granted its not in the BCG area ,but its some where.

If you have not shot a piston system enough to  foul it , I can tell you it is some times a lot of fun disassembling it when prolonged firing is required . Then if you add corrosive ammo &  that's where it gets real fun . Get the hammer & punch out .

Lets face it , both systems have there pro's & con's .