• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Quiet Neighborhood and . . . Bank Robbers!

Dusty44

One of the stock market analysts has a missive titled:  "Buy a gun."  The title is mostly for shock and to draw readers.  The article does suggest that our society could possibly break down,  at least some.  And it does actually say that buying and owning a gun and some ammo might be desirable.

December 31,  2011,  middle of the day.  First the police car that took up station at the end of my street.  Then I needed to go out and there were 20 more police cars around the corner,  just out of sight from my middle-class quiet suburban neighborhood front door.

Then three more police cars appeared,  parked across the street from my house,  just sitting there.  While I was watching and wondering,  six cops appeared from between the houses over there,  went to the cars and put away their M-16's,  bulletproof vests,  ammo belts.  I was wondering if I could really manage to dig myself a foxhole through the tile and concrete slab of my entry-hall floor in a couple of milliseconds like in the cartoons,  but the SWAT team and their cars vanished.

Next there was the police helicopter orbiting.  I found that when I steadied myself out there in the back yard I could find the chopper in my binoculars but never could quite read the markings. 

When all else fails,  a grandfather always has a secret weapon.  I got my 13-year-old computer geek grandson to help me and he used his computer and Apple iPhone to discover that the cops were looking for a bank robber who had hit the little bank a few hundred yards away out there across a few streets of houses beyond my back door.

The robber has a known history of 6 prior 'bank jobs.'  He fired at someone during this event.  His escape route apparently took him almost past my house.  The SWAT team was doing house-to-house search in the next several streets beyond my street.

Nevermind the collection of guns at my disposal (Carefully locked in those safes).  The array of firepower in the hands of the police and in the hands of the bad guy just makes me feel like.  .  .    .    Can I really dig through the tile and concrete in a millisecond or two?  Bare hands?

It was a thrilling way to end the year,  but the kind of thrill that I would much rather have done without,  thank you!

Happy and Wonderful New Year to all!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.:  To the best of my current knowledge,  the Bad Guy escaped--  again.

That there get's you to thinking!

Decades ago, when I lived with this wonderful lady, we resided in an end apartment on a long building.  There were four or five apartments, all with a common parking lot in front and a common yard in back, bordered by an oleander hedge for the length of it, with no border on either end.

One night, Rita said "I'm bored.  Nothing ever happens around here."  At that VERY INSTANT, we could hear the sound of the Tucson Police's Jet Ranger slapping wind and headed our way, accompanied by the sound of several squad car sirens getting louder.

Running to the sliding glass door on the back of the apartment, we looked out towards the other end of the yard.  A Chevy Nova sped into sight on the side street, hit a dumpster, and disappeared towards the front.  Rita and I ran the 17 feet to the front door and pulled it open just in time to see the Nova with the now dangling front right quarter panel skid up (barely missing plowing into her car), three squad cars skidding to a stop in the street, as the driver of the Nova bolts around the end of the apartment towards the backyard.

Headed back to the rear sliding glass door, Rita yells "GET YOUR GUN!!"  No.  That's not gonna happen, me charging into the backyard in my underwear, .357 waving around screaming in spanglish for the driver to get down on the ground, while half a shift of adrenaline pumped cops see a target. 

Anyway, back to the sliding glass door just in time to see the driver running about as fast as a short illegal alien can run, jet past, with the first cop 50 or so feet behind and closing fast.  Unfortunately for the driver, some of the cops stopped on the other end of the apartment building.  One pumped up cop LAUNCHED from behind the short oleanders, closing on the suspect like a missile on a drone, caught the runner and SLAMMED him on the hood of the nearest cop car.

Mind you, even though the excitement had stopped at this point, there were still three cop cars with sirens blazing 12 feet outside our front door.

Once things settled down, and I got dressed, we asked the cops what happened.  Murder suspect?  Circle K robber?  Kidnapper?  Nope...the lit him up for a cracked tail light.

Rita never again said "I'm bored!"

Jon

Spoke to my bro in Henderson,said everytime he's in Ariza. he is pulled over and given a real hard time,bro is a Rican also Army and Viet Nam vet.Said they are deporting Mexican Americans whats up with that? I remember as a kid going to see family in Texas,parents weren't allowed to use bathrooms or order food in restaurants he was Army Korea.I guess they don't like Army down south???? Ain't right...People keeping the hate alive,nice :o

Unforgiven, sorry to hear your bro is being hassled like that! Arizona has been up in arms for quite a while now about illegal immigrants (started back when that rancher was killed down south by illegals) and some good people are catching the fallout! I don't know what part of the country you're in, but life on the border has changed drastically in the last 10 years and the news media, for whatever reason, has ignored the problem. I live 30 miles from the border here in New Mexico and can state with certainty that Mexican drug cartel violence is crossing over our borders! A LOT of whats going on down here isn't making the news or is severely downplayed, so most folks don't realize how big of a problem we have. I don't have my AR's and lots of ammo just for plinking and I never leave the city limits without a gun anymore. I'm not an alarmist, nor am I paranoid but the border situation has got me and a lot of other people worried. Some Arizona LEO's may be getting out of hand with the immigration status checks, especially in Maricopa County, but my wife (who is Cuban) has never been bothered in Arizona.

Brother Hemi you are right the situation with narco-trafficer's out of control,uncle in Laredo said border towns are ghost towns many innocents killed sad.Narco same as insurgent need to be made dead.Younger gangsters absolutely no remorse,no respect for life.Just don't like the knee jerk reaction to paint everyone with same brush.I didn't like racist bullpoopy when I was a kid,less now.On the job I feel I have to work harder and triple check myself so no one can make stereotypical associations.As I have traveled thruout this great nation of ours with my kids we always made sure they were on there best behavior so as to leave the proper impression on the people we have met.Many times we were the only brown eyes for miles.Always better to be armed and not need it than to need it and not have it.Good luck brother.

This is an update to my original post.  The bank robber has been apprehended.  He was apparently using his own car in the bank job that caused the flurry around me and cameras caught his license plates.  The mask he was using has a name,  "Handsome Man,"  and that is the nickname given this bandit.  His car was seen on I-10 in Mississippi and police there apprehended him.