• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Primary Arms new 4~16 scopes

So, I've had many of the Primary Arms 4~14 FFP scopes on many rifles, and if it's 5.56 guns or .308 guns, I go for the ACSS HUD DMR reticle, in the .308 Win model.  There's a 5.56 model, but that BDC is set around 55gr ammo.  The .308 model is specifically set for 168gr .308 Win ammo, which is damn near identical to 1000 yards to 75gr 5.56 that's going at least 2750fps.  For real, 168gr .308 has 399 inches of drop at 1k yards.  75gr Hornady 5.56 going 2750fps has 4 more inches of drop at 1k yards.  The ACSS HUD DMR scope for .308 is the one to use, if you're running 5.56 heavies. 

I was running the 4~14 scope on the gun that I run in the matches, but I just wanted better glass, so I moved to the 3~18 PA scope, with the same reticle - that thing gets it done, all the way around.  The reticle works great for multiple targets, multiple distances, when you have up to 12 targets, and 90 seconds, and a 20-round limit.  I'll never turn back.

However, I needed another 4~14 ACSS HUD DMR scope for Kimmy's gun - and it's been on backorder forever.  They finally announced that they were making a new scope, this time, it's 4~16, and many of the improvements that have come across in the last couple years.  In short, they killed the 4~14 ACSS HUD DMR, and it's now the 4~16 ACSS HUD DMR, greatly improved.  Initial availability was mid-Aug, so I pre-ordered one, and it came in a few weeks ago.  I finally got around to mounting it up on her gun.

It's a little longer, I didn't weigh the two because the older one was mounted in a LaRue LT-158 with a Holosun 507C on it.  Wasn't taking that scope out of the mount, just to get a weight, when the weights are on the PA website. 

So, I like it - it's laser boresighted to the 35 yards I can get in my backyard, but I'll still need to zero it for real.  That will happen in the next couple weeks, hoping for a temp-drop here soon. 

IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.a183a6fedffef868e5eb8484dd717f34.JPG

IMG_0889.thumb.JPG.efc6f0595f4a4220ac38b6f03e181b26.JPG

IMG_0890.thumb.JPG.854411b9db61cb9851d3c23a2a6e7b61.JPG

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.96a816bf5f1495b5f955ff188a68997e.JPG

The new scope is in a LaRue LT-745 with 10 MOA, and a new Holosun 507C on there.  The old setup went straight back on my 16" precision gun, and that sucker got laser boresighted, too.  It needs shot, too, again, and tuned up.  Busy weekend coming up for both of them -but the next match is this coming Saturday, so that has to wait, for now.

Here's the old 16" precision gun, 4~14 back on it, in the LT-158 mount and dot.

IMG_0892.thumb.JPG.271f03a4f8466428df8ab4e4ca061967.JPG

Just for shiits, I'm shooting the 16" gun in the September match, instead of the Mk12 Mod 1 - just to see how it does out there at distance, and the constraints forced upon us... :thumbup::lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

Biggest changes in the hardware - 4~14 had the elevation and windage knobs, other side of the gun was parallax adjustment - the illum setting knob was on the back, about 10 o'clock.  The new 4~16 has the elevation and turret knobs, opposite side it a dual knob, inner ring is the parallax adj, outer ring is the illum.  This is identical to the 3~18 scope setup, that I put on the Mk12 Mod 1 a year ago.  The focus ring us a HUGE improvement, glad to see that it made it to this scope, too. 

They changed some things - for the WAY Mo' Bettah.  Slick new design on the budget scopes, that can't be beat for the price.  The 4~14 used to list at $279, the new 4~16 lists for $299 - it's worth the slim $20, for what they changed.  :thumbup:

I think, over time, they'll crush the whole 4~14 line, and move them to this design.  They dropped this one first, with the ACSS HUD DMR Reticle.  Very well worth it. 

Next couple days, I'll dig out the 3~18 on the Mk12, and line it up beside this newer 4~16.  When I put that 3~18 on there, I did notice that it was longer than the older 4~14 that I was running.  I'm betting that the 3~18 and the new 4~16 are pretty close in overall length.

Just picked up a PA 4x14 from the for sale section. My original intent was to put it on my AR10-T carbine. Now I am thinking of two other candidates: My Springfield M1A loaded currently has a Burriss Fullfield II 3x9Xon it and my Colt 5.56 HBAR has a Firefox 1x6X Front Focal Plane MilDot scope on it. The HBAR gets fed a diet of 75gr. BTHP exclusively, the M1A 168gr and 175 gr. BTHP exclusively, like the AR10T. Decisions, decisions.

19 hours ago, Sisco said:

Just picked up a PA 4x14 from the for sale section. My original intent was to put it on my AR10-T carbine. Now I am thinking of two other candidates: My Springfield M1A loaded currently has a Burriss Fullfield II 3x9Xon it and my Colt 5.56 HBAR has a Firefox 1x6X Front Focal Plane MilDot scope on it. The HBAR gets fed a diet of 75gr. BTHP exclusively, the M1A 168gr and 175 gr. BTHP exclusively, like the AR10T. Decisions, decisions.

That 4~14 PA you picked up is the ARC 2 MOA scope, right?  It's the bext MOA scope on the market, IMHO, that doesn't break the bank.  It's enough glass to shoot really well, FFP, great reticle.  It'll work well on any rifle you want to put it on.  I still have a 4~14 ACSS HUD DMR (the .308 Win version) on a few of the 5.56 rifles, and even on the Rem 700 AAC SD rifle.  Been thinking about trading that one on the 700 out for the newer 3~18, after I put that 3~18 on the Mk12 Mod 1 gun I use for the matches. 

You'll like it alot, Al.  :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That 4~14 PA you picked up is the ARC 2 MOA scope, right?  It's the bext MOA scope on the market, IMHO, that doesn't break the bank.  It's enough glass to shoot really well, FFP, great reticle.  It'll work well on any rifle you want to put it on.  I still have a 4~14 ACSS HUD DMR (the .308 Win version) on a few of the 5.56 rifles, and even on the Rem 700 AAC SD rifle.  Been thinking about trading that one on the 700 out for the newer 3~18, after I put that 3~18 on the Mk12 Mod 1 gun I use for the matches. 

You'll like it alot, Al.  :thumbup:

Decided to stick with putting it on the AR10T. The PA 1x6 now on it is a fine scope, but the recticle doesn,'t work well with my old eyes for distance target work. The 1x6 will find a better home on my Diamondback 5.56 AR.

28 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Decided to stick with putting it on the AR10T. The PA 1x6 now on it is a fine scope, but the recticle doesn,'t work well with my old eyes for distance target work. The 1x6 will find a better home on my Diamondback 5.56 AR.

It'll work great.  If you know the muzzle velocity of the ammo you're using, I can fire up an MOA dope chart for it, and post it here. 

30 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

It'll work great.  If you know the muzzle velocity of the ammo you're using, I can fire up an MOA dope chart for it, and post it here. 

I will after I make the switch. I will bring my chronograph with when I sight it in. I haven’t charted my latest reloads out of this rifle yet. I am using Remington brass with 41.5gr IMR 4895 with Hornady 168gr ELD-X bullets.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:25 PM, 98Z5V said:

Next couple days, I'll dig out the 3~18 on the Mk12, and line it up beside this newer 4~16.  When I put that 3~18 on there, I did notice that it was longer than the older 4~14 that I was running.  I'm betting that the 3~18 and the new 4~16 are pretty close in overall length.

Okay, so I checked this out ^^^...   Man, was I wrong.  Well, kinda.  

The old 4-14 is 12.9" long.  The newer 3-18 is 13.1" long  -so it's a little longer than the older 4-14, but not by much.  That new 4-16 is 14.25" long - considerably longer than both of the others.  I'll try to get a side-by-side-by-side pic in here this weekend.  

Edited by 98Z5V