• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Leaning toward side charger - Need bolt interchangability info

BeeKay

I was shopping for an upper because I have an extra barrel that is barely used due to my upper has a barrel attached and I don't want to swap barrels back and forth on an upper..

But with the weight of the AR10 it's a lot easier to support the rifle shouldered with one hand on the handguard than support the rifle with one hand on the pistol grip, while the free hand charges.

The ergonomics of a side charger are a lot better...  I probably am not the only guy here who feels that way.

So side charging might be an option, but that would mean buying a BCG that might not pe a good fit on the lugs of the barrel that I have.

The barrel that I have for this build is a KAK - but I like the design of the Bear Creek bolt carriers.

Not sure if there would be compatability issues with the KAK barrel and Bear Creek BCG.

That's it in a nutshell - hope that makes sense

Anybody have a suggestion ?     Thanks in advance

Edited by BeeKay

9 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Buy a bolt from KAK and put it in the Bear Creek BCG. You will have a spare bolt that way. The Bear Creek BCG should work. Just check the head space.

Great - That's what I was thinking the solution might be.

That would be assuming that there's better interchangability between BCGs and Bolts, fom different manufacturers - Than between Bolts and Barrel Extension Lugs of different manufacturers.

But at least it's worth a shot.

Thanks for taking the time to try to make sense of my question and offering a solution

5 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I have a Bear Creek BCG that works with a Wilson combat barrel, Areo Precision barrel,and a Bear Creek barrel. Not a side charger but that shouldn't make much difference.

BCA is the most budget friendly stuff out there and I like the mounting system for the side charger handle, better than the basic threaded in stud that everyone else offers.    I'm guessing that you wouldn't be reccomending it if it were poor quality.

I'm seeing a complete upper for about $100 more than I paid for a barrel alone !

The complete upper I bought was in 6.5 Creedmoor. Is shot okay but I replaced the barrel w/a Wilson Combat barrel that shoots much better. The gas block wasn't tightened down properly. When I shot it the first time I had to fix that problem. I have a 6.5 Grendel barrel from them that shoots really well also.

Thanks - That's good information.

The more I use my rear charging handle, the more I'm convinced that I'll REALLY LIKE a side charging setup,  and BCA has the best deals on those.

It seems like BCA might be sort of a crapshoot.  But I decided to roll the dice and get a complete upper anyhow, just because it's like buying an upper reciever/BCG at everyone else's price and getting a free barrel/forend.

4 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Thanks - That's good information.

The more I use my rear charging handle, the more I'm convinced that I'll REALLY LIKE a side charging setup,  and BCA has the best deals on those.

It seems like BCA might be sort of a crapshoot.  But I decided to roll the dice and get a complete upper anyhow, just because it's like buying an upper reciever/BCG at everyone else's price and getting a free barrel/forend.

BCA has good and bad products.  The good news is that they have a great customer service reputation.

20 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

BCA has good and bad products.  The good news is that they have a great customer service reputation.

BCA seems to be a company that takes a modern approach to supply/demand/affordability of their product.                

Flooding the market with items produced in greater quantity, at a lower price.

If they hadn't done it someone wlse would have.

I have an Aero upper/lower assembly that I can show off if anyone seems to be interested, but I could have bought 2 BCA setups for that price

2 hours ago, BeeKay said:

BCA seems to be a company that takes a modern approach to supply/demand/affordability of their product.                

Flooding the market with items produced in greater quantity, at a lower price.

If they hadn't done it someone wlse would have.

I have an Aero upper/lower assembly that I can show off if anyone seems to be interested, but I could have bought 2 BCA setups for that price

I have a couple of uppers from BCA and have no issues with them.  Aero does make a product a step above in fit and finish though.  I have several of them as well.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kevin L. said:

A bit late to this thread, but have a question. Going to be building a 308 with a 18” BCA complete upper and an Aero M5 lower. What size buffer tube, spring, and buffer should I use? I’ve read that the standard DPMS carbine setup works, but just want to make sure.

Thanks

This will work for you.  They show OOS at the moment.  If you call them on the phone, they frequently can put a set together for you.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT01&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

If you like the stock that is included, this is available now.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=10702302&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

14 hours ago, Kevin L. said:

Magpul PRS Lite

I don't know that stock but the best carbine recoil system is the Armalite, it uses a 7 5/8 depth receiver extension and a regular H3 buffer instead of the lighter short buffer used in the 7 inch systems. I've used the Armalite spring, Tubbs, and  Strike Industries flat wire springs with these setups. If that PRS came with a tube measure the inside depth and we can give you some exacting answers.