• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Greetings from Norty Carolina.

jlaw

Hello everyone in the AR 308 community. This is my first post just wanted to say hello. I have never owned nor operated an AR confugured rifle of any sort, but I just ordered a CMMG MK3 18" S/S barrel .308 from CDNN sports for $1212 even on Thursday. I am patiently waiting for its arrival. This rifle is going to be upgraded just a we bit. I have in my possession -->

Troy industries 13.8" FDE quad rail

Troy industries  FDE battle ax GPS stock

Triy industries FDE battle ax pistol grip

Slash CAR 10 extra heavy buffer and spring

Bushnell red dot (eotech coming soon)

4 black MACO grip ladders

X-25 50 rd drum

NC Star Red laser

UTG Grip pod

UTG LED Flashlight

I've been told if there's no pictures it's a lie so I will post an update as soon as I get it built. Wish me luck guys like I said I have never handled an AR. Thanks guys.

Alllllllrighty!!!!!! My very first AR variant is here!! Took CDNN three day total from time of order to arrival at local FFL.. FFL told me it wasn't there Friday and Saturday (but it was). Very very happy. Fit and finish is very nice. No blemishes, niks, or scratches. Seems like a very sturdy well made piece of machinery. Stainless barrel is nice plus it is threaded!!! Heavy as my mother in law. Packaging was also in good shape. Came with one 20 rd mag.

I'm building her now. I need help with the removal of the stock it's a Magpul MOE. I can not for the life of me get it off the buffer tube!!! I'm sure it's something real small like a depression pin I can't find. Any info would be great guys. Ready to get this SOB up and running!!!

Continued --->  Wasn't to difficult to assemble.. Would have been a little bit easier if i had had the correct tools. FYI Troy Industries battle Ax pistol grip does NOT fit on a .308. Dremel tool beats pistol grip every time... It is heavy, very very heavy. And with the X-25 it is ridiculous. but over all I am pleased. Haven't had the chance to shoot it. You can see in the picture of the X-25 that it scrapes the mag well and is kind of a pain to insert and drop. It needs to be sanded down half a millimeter, I'm sure that will solve the problem. Pretty neat how it loads, you have to turn the gear in the front to retract the spring and load a round. So no thumb pain. Looks perty huh...

post-1532-136297272048_thumb.jpg

post-1532-136297272048_thumb.jpg

post-1532-136297272049_thumb.jpg

Is it ok to manually cycle an AR??.... This rifle... And please excuse my ignorance.... It jams like crazy if you manually cycle rounds.. If i let the charging handle almost slam back it seems to be fine tho. ( by jam I mean failure to extract, double feeds, and the bolt not closing all the way. Also when I manually cycle rounds they get some decent size scratches on the bullet (not the case). Normal? Quit playing with it? Crappy surplus ammo? Whats up? Thanks guys. 

If by "manually cycle" rounds, you mean ride the bolt forward slowly then yeah, you'll get malfunctions. Either hit the bolt catch or slingshot the charging handle and let the BCG fly forward. It's a sturdily built machine, you're not going to hurt it.

And welcome to the site. If you're near Fayetteville or Jacksonville, there's plenty of AR 'smiths and vendors due to the proximity of Fort Bragg and Camp Lejuene MCB respectively.

Got a chance to go shoot today with a bunch of friends. So excited to try this new platform! Loaded her up. Charged it. Got three shots out then " click ".. Oh no... Here we go...

I am not an AR databass to say the least, (that's what you  fine gentlemen are here for!!!  ;D ) I had never shot one before today. So please excuse my lack of knowledge  pertaining to terms and parts related to the AR.

From these last couple of hours research ha ha... I think, not know, think that I'm experiencing a little short stroke/ failure to extract problems..  There are threads pertaining to new CMMG's having this problem, but I haven't found a definitive cause.

Ugh.. How to explain this without sounding incompetent..? The bolt seats a round, I am able to fire that round, and either it will extract the shell and load a new cartridge but not seat the bolt all the way. Or not extract at all.

I ordered the battle ax stock in mil spec, spoke to CDNN sports they told me the stock mk3 buffer tube (that I am using) is a civy spec. But the stock fits great very little play. Not to tight. Adjusts beautifully. Confused on how that works... I am using the XH buffer and spring (carbine length) from heavy buffers. Have tried to use the stock buffer and spring ( original one that was on the rifle), problem persists.

I put the Magpul that came on the rifle and the problem persist with both buffers and springs.

Sorry if this is getting long guys.. Bare with me please, and if I should post this in another category please let me know. I am new to online forums and want to abide by the rules haha..

I placed one round into my magazine and discharged it. The bolt locks back into place afterwards. And the shell is extracted fine. Heard that's a way to test short stroke. Not sure if that's true.

I removed my forend and Checked  the gas block it seemed as if it was not centered. I was able to push it a little further down the barrel towards the receiver  ( 1-2mm). Did a field strip and oiled the crap out of the bolt/extractor and such.

I am at home now so I cannot test the rifle (to much I live kinda in the country but still in a residential neighborhood. my neighbors shoot guns all the time but I don't wanna piss them off shooting a .308 in my back yard).

Anyway after adjusting the gas block that millimeter or so i took the rifle outside and discharged three shots without malfunction. Slowly.

Malfunctions with pmags and the x25 drum.

Surplus and Winchester ammo.

The mag is well seated.

I'm not riding the charge handle.

Do y'all think it is a gas problem, Is it something out of spec with my buffers/stock/spring?

I will test more tomorrow at  my range, if i still am having problems do you guys have any suggestions? Any info would be fantastic guys.

Thanks again guys.