• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Time, Sunday, 8 Jan...

98Z5V

Had a strange couple of weeks when time was allocated to traveling, working, working, working, AND my local range was closed when I was actually around, not working...  >:(  Kinda feindin' a little.  :o

Tomorrow, I'll get out there and blast up a couple 10/22s, and the .45 AR.  All three need to have the sights zeroed.  3-9 optic on one of the 10/22s, red dot on another 10/22 (temporary sight), and the irons on the .45 AR.  Should be a good day.  <thumbsup>

I'll certainly get range pics and target pics up here once I get back.  Sometime late, late in the afternoon, or early evening.  (AHEM!  Drew...  <lmao>  )

Pulled into the range about 2:15 today, and there were people downrange placing target stands.  I figured we'd just get signed in, unpack, get set up at a bench or two, and get our target stands ready.  By the time we've got all that done, the Range Master will call another Cease Fire, and we'll be moving.  Hmmm...

That Range Master today was slow as hell.  Never seen the guy out there before.  He sure did like the sound of his own voice, because everytime he started talking, it just went on and went on.  It would take this guy 5 minutes just to give the "Cease Fire Speech."  Come on, man...  ::)

We didn't start shooting until 3:15, and I initially set stuff out at 25 yards, since I was sighting in 3 guns.  It didn't take long at all to get all 3 on it, but I'd put multiple targets on each target stand - I sure had the time, during set up.

First up was the scoped 10/22 - that went quick, and my kid possessed it after that.  The only time I got to touch it after he started shooting, was to take it from him to use the scope to check targets.  What a punk.  :o

Next up for me was the .45 AR.  Zero went quick, and once I had it on, I fired a 15-round mag into a Shoot-N-See.  After that, it was on to other targets for it.  Due to the intense high speed of the Range Master, this rifle didn't get shot at 50 yards, on a paper target. 

100_0221.jpg

100_0222.jpg

At 25 yards, that's a hell of alot better than one of my pistols would do, but the pistols don't have 16" barrels, either.  Not bad for iron sights, 230gr ball Winchester white box, and wind from directly behind me.  I like it alright.  Definitely want to see what happens at 50 yards with it.  I know it's gonna spread out like a Spider Monkey all hopped up on Mountain Dew, though...  :o

Next was the new 10/22.  This thing is a complete rifle from Tactical Solutions, the X-Ring rifle.  Until I can find the perfect ammo for it, I'm gonna call it the 10-ring rifle instead of the X-Ring...  Shooting Federal Auto Match 40gr round nose for the zero.  Groups fantastically at 25 yards, the ammo isn't bad at all, and it's one Fun As Hell little rifle.  Running a Primary Arms mini red dot on it, but after next weekend, it'll be scoped with a 3-9x40 Nikon ProStaff Rimfire, with a BDC calibrated for .22LR, ticks out to 150 yards.  I'll need a wind-free day to test that distance with .22LR...

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

I ran out of the Federal Auto Match, thanks to my kid, so I shot up some CCI Mini Mag - it did well.  Once I was out of that, I tried a mag full of Remington Golden Bullets.  Those things SUCKED out of the TacSol.  The kid was burning them up through the other 10/22, though (factory receiver and bolt).  I don't know what it was, but the TacSol didn't like them in the least.  Next up was some ammo that I thought was gonna be just horrendous - Remington Thunderbolts.  Much to my surprise, not one single FTF at all.  Every single one of them went BANG.  That's not the case through my CMMG .22 conversion bolt in the ARs.  The Tac Sol seemed to like them.  I didn't really shoot them for groups, just to try to eat the center out of a couple targets.  That ammo did that kinda well. 

Until next time, friends...  <thumbsup>

Looks like a fun day, must say I'm jealous. I think you may be surprised by your .45 carbine. I have shot my Kriss, and a friends .45acp AR (16" Olympic Arms heavy barrel upper, CNC Gunsmithing lower) at 12"steel plates at 75yds (never at paper targets) both with unmagnified red dot sights, and if the gun's zeroed for the range, you can ring the steel continually, offhand. I've found them to be surprisingly accurate at 75, never tried mine out to 100 though. You'll have to let us know what yours does at long range when you find the time to try it.

Looks good brother Tom,another good build <thumbsup>. The outdoor range I shoot at R.O. tells the people the rules,basically you notify other shooters you want to set targets and everyone must step behind yellow line,set targets then call clear and the shooting starts.I'll wait till everyone finishes their string then call a time out .Checked out Dak on 10-22 they provide receiver [the one with rear sight & rails nice] so then you get a bolt,stock and trigger assy,barrel and you got a 10-22 huh?Is the receiver a FFL part? Nice job on the .45 bro looks good.Alot to be said for a rifle and pistol that share the same cartridge.  8)

You'll have to let us know what yours does at long range when you find the time to try it.

I definitely will - the plan for today was to have all 3 zeroed at 50, but there just wasn't enough (managed) time.  I'll get them all 3 done next time out, and I'll stretch that .45 out as far as I can.  I was shooting at steel silhouettes, and kept focusing on the 150 - it was pretty inconsistant at that range.  I found a good holdover, was right in the area, very close to the plate, and then 5 or 6 would be feet off.  It's still enough to get someone to seek cover, just not enough to make effective hits.  I did have a decent wind at my back, and I was wondering if that was either carrying or dropping those fat little rounds at that range.  It was almost like vertical stringing.  I'll test it out some more, and get some better distance on it. 

Checked out Dak on 10-22 they provide receiver [the one with rear sight & rails nice] so then you get a bolt,stock and trigger assy,barrel and you got a 10-22 huh?Is the receiver a FFL part?

Yep!  The receiver is the serialed part, and has to go to your FFL, and you have to transfer it on the 4473.  Everything else can get shipped to your house, and what you stated above is really all you need.  Bolt assembly, trigger assembly, barrel and stock.  <thumbsup>

NoDak Spud is some good stuff.  I'm kicking around the idea of - well, hell with that...  I'm planning on buying their receiver, and the pic rail with the rear sight integrated.  Something that's all iron sights.  The way it works out in my head is pretty cool...  <lmao>

FWIW The 10/22 typically does a better job with the thunder farts and golden turds than other.22 semi auto's.

Im liking that .45

I'm seeing that - what really didn't work in my CMMG AR conversion is working well in these.  Before, the original 10/22, as it was, would just eat everything - it still is.  This TacSol did not like those Golden Bullets.  It loved the Mini Mags and T-Bolts.  I figured that on the Mini Mags, but the T-Bolts surprised me.  Makes me wish I had a brick of Wildcats to try out...  <laughs>

I love this .45, brother.  It needs the CNC lower and grease gun mags.  Badly.  What a hoot this thing is!  ;D

now see, that's a range summary.  ;D good stuff. i love .22lr, tons of fun for little dough, smile factor pegged. i want to see that lower you were talking about, and the final sighting distance result. at 65 yds or so we were hitting 12" steel with my usc, but i never thought of stretching it

i want to see that lower you were talking about, and the final sighting distance result.

It's gonna get shot further coming up soon.  It'll be a month or so before I can pick up the dedicated .45 lower that runs the 30-rd grease gun mags.  Here's what that lower looks like, though:

Pb120385.jpg

Pb120386.jpg