• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I need to rant...

Matt.Cross

Ok, so I've got my LR-308 all decked out, ready for action, so I spend my free time this evening looking for a suitable place to break-in and sight my beast in. NOT HAPPENING! >:( Any outdoor range with 100-400 yards to work with would be superb, BUT public ranges are downright mythical (within reason anyways, I don't wanna drive 4 hrs), and membership costs for private access ranges (that are quite short distance-wise) are insane. So then that leaves asking total strangers with suitable acreage, (hard to find in my suburban area) which is a little awkward. "Yes, uh, I know this is probably a little unusual but I've noticed that you have a nice flat area with a terrific dirt backstop and I was just wondering if it would be alright to fire a couple hundred rounds of extremely high powered rifle ammo down there..." Hmmm, I wonder how this would fly? I have my doubts...

I'm beginning to wonder if I won't have to shelve my rifle and stare at it wanly from time to time as I impatiently bide my time saving the money for a membership at the nearest gun club with a suitable range...

*sigh*  :'(

All right, I'm done depressing myself for now. Thanks for listening.

I actually laughed so hard this cheered me up,  :P

It's called a pneumatic mortar DNP, the fine art of launching a .177 projectile  across 200 yds using only compressed air. Tailwinds, extreme trajectory, and the proper holding of the jaw ( don't forget planetary alignment and whether or not it's a leap-year ) are the key factors in accuracy.

Matt, where are you located in NC?

Same to you, Drew - I'm in Northern VA, so we're a few hours apart, but not that far, practically speaking.

I'm working on more shooting areas here; I'll keep you updated.  They're here, I just need to find them.  Quantico is looking very promising, once I'm into the Rod & Gun Club there.  My free range is only open between 1 Sep and 31 March, but it's very nice for a 100-yd range, and no-kidding completely free, run by the state.

Well, it's further than I thought jusst for shooting.  I did the drive from VA to Maine in August, and it seemed shorter.  Might be worth it for a week of shooting, especially with the 600-yard range on Quantico.  Looks like 7 hours (about 380 miles) from me to Hartford...

Matt, where are you located in NC?

Same to you, Drew - I'm in Northern VA, so we're a few hours apart, but not that far, practically speaking.

I'm working on more shooting areas here; I'll keep you updated.  They're here, I just need to find them.  Quantico is looking very promising, once I'm into the Rod & Gun Club there.  My free range is only open between 1 Sep and 31 March, but it's very nice for a 100-yd range, and no-kidding completely free, run by the state.

I'm in Maiden, NC and the nearest big town is Hickory. The trouble is not really a lack of ranges at all, it's ones that are publicly accessible and decent yardages in combination. However, to get back to your point, Virginia is not a bad drive on weekends if it would be possible to get a good day's shooting out of it.

Hey!!! where can I get one of those 200 yrd Air rifles? I want one!

... just about any bb gun will do equally well @ 200 yrds. The science is in getting it there... As a matter of fact, I'd suggest that if you wanted to stand any chance of the BB getting there, launch the rifle with it.  ;D

I know it can be a little awkward asking a landowner, but you might try offering a helping hand when asking, say for instance, "I would be glad to give you a hand sometime fixing your fence or cleaning up a bit if you'd let me shoot my rifle out here."  You will be surprised how well a little bartering will help get you in!  just my .02.  I have got in on some good hunting spots for a little elbow grease in trade...

I agree. At only 26, I've been married since I was 22, raising a family with a wife that only death could part me with, I work hard to maintain my family's well being and to keep a job and be a responsible american citizen. What sucks is the inescapable feeling that I'm part of a dying breed of people that will be overrun by a bunch of liberal drug-heads that see the US Government as their sugar-daddy. I bet the fine fellows who wrote our constitution have spent the better part of this nation's last 50 years rolling over in their graves...