• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to AR's and would like some suggestions.

KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE

I am new to the forum, and new to AR's. I would appreciate if some of the experienced AR shooters out there could offer some suggestions as to which rifle I should dish out on. I have been saving up for this venture for years now. Accuracy, reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, etc... I am really only interested in top tier level equipment.

I know I want a 7.62. What I don't know, is what's the best rifle to spend my hard earned cash on? The ammount of offerings is staggering...

I am not afraid to shell out on quality for my first rifle. I am one of those guys who buys the best the first time, and never looks back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far, from my own research, I am interested in a few models:

1.) Knight's Armament SR-25 Enhanced Match Carbine.

2.) F&D Defense .308.

3.) LWRC R.E.P.R.

4.) Anything that level or better.

Basically, What are the rifles you guys dream and lust after???

As I said, anything to help point me in the right direction would be appreciated immensely.

I am also open to non-AR suggestions. (Sorry in advance if that is blasphemous!)  :)

Thank you all very much for your time. It pleases me to be a member of this forum.

Thanks again for the lead.

Saving cash is always nice. Leaves more room for optics and a suppressor.  ;)

How difficult is it to upgrade the internals of an OBR?

Also, which brand(s) of components will work on that platform? Say, for instance, I wanted to later add an ambidextrous fire selector?

I know not all AR's are compatible.

Thanks again.  :)

it comes with a geiselle trigger, so you're good there. all i did to mine is added a battle arms ambi safety http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41292/avs%7CMake_3=AR-15zz1zzM4/avs%7CManufacturer_1=BATTLE%20ARMS%20DEVELOPMENT%20INCxzzx/Product/AR-15-M16-AMBIDEXTROUS-SAFETY-SELECTOR?avad=avant

otherwise, there is nothing to upgrade. promise. but to answer the second part of you're question it uses sr-25/dpms style parts.

Hiya  KAC-SR-25

Okay I agree those are nice weapons...but ill give you the same advice I always give to someone looking for a 7.62.....build it yourself!

you can have it exactly the way you want it...plus the satisfaction of building it yourself...you will have a 100 bucks in the tools/fixtures...but you will have less in the rifle...like I always say...if you can chew gum and walk at the same time you can build one! <thumbsup>  Wash

fr3db3ar, Thanks man!

edgecrusher, thanks for the heads up on that choice piece, I favorited the link to it.

Hi washguy,

I feel confident in my ability to build an AR. I am a fabricator by trade, and I do all my modifications to my firearms myself.

I don't have a problem buying the necessary tools to work on my rifle. One thing I've learned is you never have too many tools! Heck, I probably have a good portion of what I'll need already.

I would really REALLY enjoy building an AR... :)

What I don't have confidence in, is the ability to source the quintessential components to create an uber boomstick. I have a rough idea of what I want, but not down to the intimate details. I don't have a good enough knowledge of components to know what to look for, or prices, etc...

Also, what makes me hesitant is parts compatibility, hence wanting to buy an out of the box model.

Another constraint is time, seems like I either sleep or work, with a little spare time set aside for "plinkering". You guys know how that is...

-You guys are exactly the reason why I joined this forum  <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...

I would actually gravitate toward the M1A loaded or NM. Unfortunately they're very expensive and out for reach for me.

The next best thing is to build your own AR, which is basically what I did. There's simply no better way to learn the intricacies and the internal workings of your firearm. And with the endless options out there, you can get exactly what you want, although you may have to wait a while because in some instances the lead times stretch out there.

The other advantage is that you can buy the parts a few at a time, rather than having to plunk down a huge sum of cash all in one outlay.