• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loading 7.62x51 nato cases

Sparkylr308

1 hour ago, Sparkylr308 said:

Decently stocked up on those at the moment so the funds are directed towards large rifle at the moment but I agree! I do that with the powders I like to use. One I like to use but can’t find anywhere is Aliant AR-comp. No where to be found locally.

Bought one bottle a while ago, it was smooth to measure , very consistent. My go to powders are Varget, H4064,H335 & CFE223.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@MikedaddyH@98Z5Vthat is good to know! How do you determine what powder is good for certain bullet weights?

Me. Trail and error . Five manuals. And as much information is i can get. Then i do a test of a few rounds. Function test first before the ladder test. When a manufacturer puts out a new product, someone has to buy it and be that guinea pig ( been that guy) an example : new bullet comes out. Or new powder is released. Or trying a component used in a different caliber. Like the 270 Rem bullets i used in the 6.8spc . Or like now with me using a non listed 142gr FMJ flattop in a 9mm case. I have shot it twice last year. One mag to make sure i did not blow up a gun. Then the next time out i run a mag of the powder weight i want to use though a good gun ,my Glock 34. It ran flawlessly. Next step is to chrono the 168 rounds i made this week.

Its not always a win either. Fucked up a couple of times. Cartridge blew up at the shop . Once in R2's hand. Once blew out a mag in 6.8spc AR. Then cycling issues in 10mmAuto because the ammo was too hot for the gun.

But i have had some wins... Like the 357sig rounds that we shot off the top of the mountain. 1615 to 1629 fps and they did not sting the hand.

Ladder test is the best proven method ! Read some threads here.  I have a great load for 168gr Sierra Match Kings .

I won't speak for Tom but he has figured out the Heavy Projectiles going long distance.

One last thing ,use multiple sources for your information. Books, Forums, Manufacturers.

Edited by MikedaddyH

@MikedaddyHthat is very good to know. Thank you! I always do a ladder test when working up a load. The part I can’t figure out is how some people know certain powders like a heavy or light bullet. For example as previously mentioned H335 in 223 is good for 55’s. All of that is just trial and error? Or is any of that based of burn rate of a powder? Or case fill with a certain bullet? 

Example: Slow burning powders are better for higher velocity and heavier projectiles.  Like H4064 or Varget are good for a 168gr to a 175gr or 180gr projectiles. The H335 i used on 147gr and 150gr projectiles. Really slow powders like H4350 which is good in 300winmag and 300wsm works well with 180gr and 200gr projectiles. Note that slow powders need longer barrels to maximize burning of that slow powder. 18" ,20" , 24" or you will get that flash.

12 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

How do you determine what powder is good for certain bullet weights?

It's all listed in the reloading manuals.  

Buy more than 1 reloading manual, and cross reference the data.  The more you cross reference between different sources, the safer you'll be.  

The Hornady manual is always good to have (Edition 11 is the latest).  Have at least one more.  The Speer Manual is CCI primers and Sierra bullets - same company.  That's another good one. 

I have alot of Barnes solid copper projectiles, so I have the Barnes load manual just for those.  Just an example. 

18 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Note that slow powders need longer barrels to maximize burning of that slow powder. 18" ,20" , 24" or you will get that flash.

This part isn't necessarily true.  18.5" .308 Win, 20" .260 Rem - no flash out the end of the barrel.  I'm running RL-22 powder in the .260, and that's a .300 Win Mag powder.

You don't load The Heavies, Mikey, what the hell you giving advice on...   :laffs:

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

This part isn't necessarily true.  18.5" .308 Win, 20" .260 Rem - no flash out the end of the barrel.  I'm running RL-22 powder in the .260, and that's a .300 Win Mag powder.

You don't load The Heavies, Mikey, what the hell you giving advice on...   :laffs:

Presumption of what a heavy is !

6 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Presumption of what a heavy is !

4 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Heavy per caliber.  Is that better. 😰

Perfect.  Yes, heavy per caliber.  75 or 77gr 5.56, 147gr 6.5s, 220 or higher on Win Mags, 175s or 178s on .308 (or 195s on 308).   Something like that.

What heavies have you loaded?  Never seen you shoot them, and we've shot together quite alot. 

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Perfect.  Yes, heavy per caliber.  75 or 77gr 5.56, 147gr 6.5s, 220 or higher on Win Mags, 175s or 178s on .308 (or 195s on 308).   Something like that.

What heavies have you loaded?  Never seen you shoot them, and we've shot together quite alot. 

223 ... 69gr. 75gr 88gr 

224v.... 69gr 75gr. 80gr 88gr

6.5g ... 105gr 123gr 129gr 130gr

6.8spc ... 110 115 120 130 140

300bo 125 150 180

308w. 147 150 165 168 175 180 190 200 210

300WSM 155 168 175 180 200

And hell yeah we have shot a lot together !

And i for sure left out a bunch.

223 ... 69gr. 75gr 88gr 

How did those 88gr do out of a mag?...  :popcorn:  And 69s aren't heavy...

224v.... 69gr 75gr. 80gr 88gr

6.5g ... 105gr 123gr 129gr 130gr

Never seen you shoot these - you need to bring them next weekend, and we'll stretch them out a little. 

308w. 147 150 165 168 175 180 190 200 210

200s and 210s?   Are they subs?   Bolt gun?   Heaviest you can get to mag length for a .308 gas gun is the 195s, supersonic.   I'd like to see these, but I damn sure don't want to shoot them.

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

How did those 88gr do out of a mag?...  :popcorn:  And 69s aren't heavy...

Never seen you shoot these - you need to bring them next weekend, and we'll stretch them out a little. 

200s and 210s?   Are they subs?   Bolt gun?   Heaviest you can get to mag length for a .308 gas gun is the 195s, supersonic.   I'd like to see these, but I damn sure don't want to shoot them.

At max length or mag length. All that stuff is labeled.

The ELD stuff was at the limit it Crunched ! I didn't shoot much 224v I had a loose part on the gun. The 6.5g stuff was accurate out of the red gun.

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

88gr 5.56.  How'd you load it, and what gun did it go through?...  

I would have to look at my notes and reloading sheets... I think I made 15 rounds , 3 charges x 5 rounds each. Almost all went into the 224v.

2 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

I also backed away from the rifle rounds and concentrated on pistol ammo the last 3-4 years.

You're avoiding my question, I think on purpose...   :laffs:   This one vvv...

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

88gr 5.56.  How'd you load it, and what gun did it go through?...  

So, you're saying you shot some 88s through THAT gun.  Got it. 

I'm gonna cut you some slack, because I think you're BUUUUULLLSHEEEIIIITTING me here...  :laffs:  That's why you feel like you're being interrogated - I think it's BS, brother.

I'll give a hint.  80gr Sierra Match Kings are used often in the National Service Rifle matches, at Camp Perry.  They have to be single loaded, because they're too long to fit in a mag.  That's why I asked you what gun you were using - I'm fishing to see if you have a .223 Rem bolt gun somewhere.

Anything 80gr and above have to be loaded at 2.390" COL.  That's the only way they work.  Hornady 75gr AMAX was to long to load mag-length, and had to be loaded 2.390" as well.  It's discontinued, but the new 75gr ELD-M is the same way - 2.390" COL.  Hornady realized this, and that's why thy made the new-ish 73gr ELD-M - just to get it safely loaded to a 2.250" COL.