• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loading 7.62x51 nato cases

Sparkylr308

3 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@MikedaddyHah I see what you mean.

Well was a bit disappointed. Finally got around to prepping the brass so I thought last night. Turns out it is berdan primed. Not really worth converting right? 

Save it . Plastic bag inside a coffee can . Maybe in a couple years you may aquire some Primers that fit. 

I am sitting on some Dessert Storm brass with Berdan primers and two holes in the base. I figured out a water plunging setup to pop the primers out . This all sits in a box. Also have two sealed battle packs of that ammo left. It's nice 👍.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MikedaddyHi see what you mean. I have about 700~ empty cases. But obviously no berdan primers.

@98Z5Vyea that’s kinda what I am thinking. I have a stock of about ~150~ 308 win head stamped brass to reload. So not hurting for brass. Just want more hahaha and where I had these cases. But I don’t think it’s worth the time. 

7 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

The water press .method works but fine tuning it took a minute.

From what I've seen, that's just for de-priming them.  Just getting those Berdan primers out in the first place.  That water method doesn't account for reloading them.  What a process...

@MikedaddyH @98Z5Vi agree. Seems like a major pain in the ass! Not worth it at all unless it really came down to it. Especially where boxer brass is so common in the caliber. I ended up finding in my bags of already sorted brass that I actually had about 200ish lake city cases. I prepped 25 fully last night. Going to load them today and start my testing with those to find what charge is best. 

On 2/23/2023 at 4:00 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

@MikedaddyHjust curious. Is it something with it being Malaysian? That is my plan. I got it free so that’s more the only reason I am bothering with it. 

A couple of things about Malaysian or any third world country brass-

1. Do an internet search on the brass using the code on the  headstamp, which will include the year. There are a lot of nuances sometimes. I had some Indian brass, and it turned out the year was important as far as the quality and who was managing the factory manufacturing it. Any Goggle or other search should bring out any potential problems that previous reloaders have experienced.

2. If you can get a few Lake City brass, weigh them, then fill them with water and weigh them again. Then do the same with a sample number of your Malaysian brass. That will let you know if their is any significant variation in capacity volume between the foreign and the gold standard Lake City brass, and you can take that into account on your case capacity. I am guessing their will be a wider variation on the Malaysian brass, which might affect accuracy.

Oh and one last thing that is so simple and obvious, yet has happened with foreign brass before, especially older brass. Shine a flashlight down the throat of one of those Malaysian brass and verify that their is one ignition hole centered on the primer pocket. If there are two off center holes it is Berdan primed and you are SOL in terms of reloading it.

Edited by Sisco

8 minutes ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@MikedaddyHah ok. I do that currently. I make sure the primer pockets are clean. I noticed they still seat tough. 

Go to the "Primer Info"thread. Post on May 23rd first chart. It states size of Primers. Rem brand has the smallest diameter of the LR primers. Try that ! But we are talking about fractions of cunt hairs.

Still a technique of starting slow with the primer insertion works for me. Don't hamm first it. 

Note: primer pockets will expand after a few cycles of use.

update: went to the range today. Did a test of varying charge weights. Groups of 5. Did very well. Right on par with my 308 head stamped brass which was strange. But even stranger was my groups on average were way tighter. I would say by probably a 1/4 in or so. Is this just a fluke? It was with all 5 groups. I also noticed the primers looked a little different than my 308 win head stamped brass.