• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loading 7.62x51 nato cases

Sparkylr308

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 120s aren't heavy, even for a Grendel.  the 129s and 130s are - if they're for a Grendel, but not for a 6.5 Creedmoor or .260.  You didn't get the weight of that one on the box in the lower left.

But that doesn't matter - I'm curious about the 88s in a 5.56 gun.  That's the shiit that I'm dying to hear about, brother... !!!

You told the story!   I just wanna hear how it went, or how you made it happen!!!  :lmao:

88s through a 5.56 gun...

Edited by 98Z5V

What is to say ??? I shot at a target 🎯 100 yards out. I hit the target. The rounds functioned , nothing blew up. Uneventful. It passed the function test. I did a function test on some other rounds also , no big deal... I didn't have a Chrono, the gun was already sighted in. My goal for that day was a function test 😊.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Those 120s aren't heavy, even for a Grendel.  the 129s and 130s are - if they're for a Grendel, but not for a 6.5 Creedmoor or .260.  You didn't get the weight of that one on the box in the lower left.

But that doesn't matter - I'm curious about the 88s in a 5.56 gun.  That's the shiit that I'm dying to hear about, brother... !!!

You told the story!   I just wanna hear how it went, or how you made it happen!!!  :lmao:

88s through a 5.56 gun...

Don't forget i made the 300wsm fit into a 308 length mag ! On that unicorn gun. 

13 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Don't forget i made the 300wsm fit into a 308 length mag ! On that unicorn gun. 

I'm not interested in the deflection, Mikey.  I'm interested in the 88s through a 5.56 gun...   :lmao:

I'm not the one that stated that - you were the one that stated that. 

I'm just the one that has the experience with loading The Heavies. No matter what caliber.  90s in the 25/45 Sharps.  225s in the .338 Fed gun, 250s in the .358 Win gun, 147s in the .260, 225s in the Win Mag, 285s in the .338 Lapua.  75s and 77s in the 5.56 guns.  178s and 195s in the .308 Win guns. 

Loading The Heavies is what I do, brother.  My goal is the distance, and how far I can stretch a gun, make it perform at it's max potential, for the longest range that I can make it go.  It's all an EPIC experimentation...

I still think you're BUUUUULLSHEEEEIIIITING ME on 88s through a 5.56 gun.  Completely BSing me.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

If we are going to fight again. I will wear long sleeves. I don't want deflection marks on my arms. 🤣😹

I already looked on two phones for pics. The old IPhone I have does not work. Maybe I might look for some ammo but it's all buried. Really don't care to prove it that bad. But I made some sample rounds and they shot a target 100 yards out. 

lcgbkbqxkblaqh4f6oaa.jpg

4 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

If we are going to fight again. I will wear long sleeves. I don't want deflection marks on my arms. 🤣😹

I already looked on two phones for pics. The old IPhone I have does not work. Maybe I might look for some ammo but it's all buried. Really don't care to prove it that bad. But I made some sample rounds and they shot a target 100 yards out.

Now, you're...

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

BUUUUULLSHEEEEIIIITING ME

...again, about shooting 88s from a 5.56 gun!   :lmao:

Just fukkin' ADMIT it already!  You haven't done this!  And, you don't load The Heavies, for damn near anything.  Any caliber.  What you've posted for projectiles, are not The heavies, unless a couple of those went into some Grendels. 

Mike, that's not what you do, nor what you've ever done.  I've known you for 11 years now.  Shoot heavies at distance is not your game, nor what you do.  That's the only reason I asked you about your statement of 88s in 5.56 in the first place.  That's damn near unpossible, unless you use a Bob Sled.  If you DO play with heavies at distance, then you know what that is.

AR-15 OBS

Just get to the story about the 88s from a 5.56 gun already, brother, and end this.   :hail:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

FWIW, the only projectile I've ever loaded for my .224 Valk is the Hornady 88 ELD-Ms.  So, I know that projectile.  The thing has only, ever, been fed handloads, with those projectiles.

I'm just sayin'...

I loaded those and the Hornady 75gr ELD match.  I have one box left.

16779080212507422488202449078841.jpg

5 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Just went through the closet and the heaviest 223/556 round I have is the Sierra MatchKing 80gr.

Can't load those to 2.250" COL.  Gotta be loaded to 2.390" COL. 

2 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

I loaded those and the Hornady 75gr ELD match.  I have one box left.

That's fukkin' awesome!  BOTH those projectiles need to be loaded 2.390" COL.  Both of them.  They can't be loaded to the 2.250" max COL to fit inside an AR mag. 

Now, I'm even more interested...  But you STILL HAVE NOT ADDRESSES THE CLAIM...  of the 88s in the 5.56 gun.

This is just getting deeper, the more you say, brother. 

DUDE!   You're using H335 - a LIGHTWEIGHT projectile powder for 5.56/.223, WITH CCI 450s - a MAGNUM primer, WITH 80gr projectiles that can't be safely loaded to MAG LENGTH!

WTF, Mikey?!!?

Your load labels don't even list COL on them!  That's about MANDATORY for testing loads.

Next time you ask me to shoot one of your guns, my response is gonna be, "You first..."

I've been through that rodeo with some of your handloads, throughout the past.  No more.

That shiit is unsafe, right there.  That's BANANAS...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

What's the loaded length?  What's the COL...

2.30" and 2.31" max mag length.

Just showed you 101 rounds of 80gr SMK's and you still are not satisfied.

I give up !  I made 15 sample rounds of the 88gr 223 rounds at mag length and shot them.  IDC if you say I am BS'ing. Since I don't have video proof.  BFD.

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

DUDE!   You're using H335 - a LIGHTWEIGHT projectile powder for 5.56/.223, WITH CCI 450s - a MAGNUM primer, WITH 80gr projectiles that can't be safely loaded to MAG LENGTH!

WTF, Mikey?!!?

Your load labels don't even list COL on them!  That's about MANDATORY for testing loads.

Next time you ask me to shoot one of your guns, my response is gonna be, "You first..."

I've been through that rodeo with some of your handloads, throughout the past.  No more.

That shiit is unsafe, right there.  That's BANANAS...

Ok .

Here is the top of the case. And I shot 50 test rounds of this.

IMG_20230303_222420.jpg

Tell you what, man, and I mean this seriously - I love you like a brother, and I mean that - you bring alot of your friends out to the shoots.  That's cool, get new people into it, get into shooting.  If a gun of yours malfunctions and blows up out here, and I have to take care of the medical emergency because of it, there will be hell to pay, over that. 

You've had numerous malfunctions out here, mostly related to hot loads.  Get one on the line, shoot - gun jams up.  Gotta get off the line, figure it out, fix it, get back on the line - same thing happens.  Again. 

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

That doesn't even fit into an AR mag, from almost any mag manufacturer on the market.  Therefore, that doesn't even make sense to me, on how you made that happen, without single-loading them. 

Lancers are the best, with the very best internal OAL in ANY mag, and those things measure 2.275", MAX.  I just measured one to confirm what I thought, and it's right.  2.275" internal OAL on a Lancer L5AWM mag. Nothing beats that one. 

SO...  what mags are you using to get:

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

...THAT length round to feed, through an AR?!

What mags do you use to accomplish this claim?  

And that's with 80s, that you're claiming.  I'll pull up projectile lengths, to add to this, if this keeps up.  88 ELD-Ms are longer than the Sierra 80s that you're claiming. 

Fuk it, here's the projectile lengths.  Sierra Match King 80 HPBTs are 1.066" long.  For National Match shooters that shoot that projectile, they have to single-load them, because they WILL NOT feed through an AR magazine.  It's proven, every year, at Camp Perry, during the matches.  Hand fed, single-round loaded, and it's been done for a very long time, right there at Camp Perry, every single year now, for a very, very long time.  If THOSE GUYS could figure out how to make them feed through an AR mag - they would have done it a LONG FUKKIN' TIME AGO...  

Sierra Match King 77 HPBTs are 0.994" long - longest projectile that will fit in a mag, safely...  Hornady 88 ELD-Ms are 1.160" long.  NO WAY you can load that safely into a 5.56 case, and still make it fit into an AR mag.  Well, unless subsonic was your goal, with a reduced charge, and a different powder...  

Now, the Hornady 75 HPBT.  That's 0.981" long.

Since I'm on this kick now, here's the length of a Barnes 70 TSX - 1.037".  This projectile only works, because it's a solid copper, and it's LONGER than the 77 SMK AND the Hornady 75 HPBT.  The 70 TSX shouldn't fit into a mag, based on it's length, but it does, just because of it's construction... It's used by the military as the "optimized brown tip" ammo.  Silver State Armory loads it, as a factory ammo.  It's the ANOMALY, because of it's construction... 

Just stop already, Mike.  I don't care what you show me in a reloading box.  I'm telling you that if you shot that shiit, it's not even safe, in the first place, unless you're making reduced charges and trying to shoot or make sub-sonic ammo.  What you're making isn't even near safe, for supersonic loads. 

Edited by 98Z5V

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Hornady 88 ELD-Ms are 1.160" long.  NO WAY you can load that safely into a 5.56 case, and still make it fit into an AR mag.

This was your original claim, Mikey.  88s in a 5.56 gun.  That's what riled me up, on some bullshiit claim from you... 

Here we go. 

Checked 3 manuals, the 80gr SMK"s are way too hot. Stated COL 2.550" . I will pull them !!! ( I loaded to 2.26" )

The 2.30" and 2.31" magazine's are PRI .

The 75gr Hornady ELD-M and 80gr were loaded to 2.290" and i used the minimum book charge with 3 powders.  I did the same a couple of days later with the 88gr ELD-M. Since i don't have pictures i will not argue your Call ...  This all happened between October 2019 and December 2019 when i shot them at Usary. I haven't done any load development on a rifle round since then. Also i haven't fired any untested rifle rounds at the SDSF since 2016 ! Its ALL done at Usary !