• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the Forum & need some help!

TeddyBro

Hello to everyone here! Feel quit honored to be a part of this forum & have any assistance that I can receive. Recently picked up an older Panther Arms LR243 & have made a few accessory updates but have come to a bit of a snag switching put the original A2 style stock. Looking to go to a carbine length magpul adjustable but had a friend mention to check the buffer weight & spring before making my purchase on a Milspec Magpul Carbine adjustable stock for replacement. Anyone familiar with my apparent dilemma that can steer me in the proper direction?

On 3/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, TeddyBro said:

Hello to everyone here! Feel quit honored to be a part of this forum & have any assistance that I can receive. Recently picked up an older Panther Arms LR243 & have made a few accessory updates but have come to a bit of a snag switching put the original A2 style stock. Looking to go to a carbine length magpul adjustable but had a friend mention to check the buffer weight & spring before making my purchase on a Milspec Magpul Carbine adjustable stock for replacement. Anyone familiar with my apparent dilemma that can steer me in the proper direction?

Welcome aboard - need more information on what you're trying to do.  Taking off the A2 stock, and just installing a Carbine stock?

It's a completely different recoil system, to do something like that, so it involves changing the entire back of the gun. In laymen's terms.

Need to know if the gun runs now, since it's .243 Win, and it's Panther Arms - which is old school DPMS, the REAL DPMS.  If the gun runs, right now, as it is - we're gonna need numbers on the rifle recoil system parts that are on it now.

Don't fuk with a running gun.  But if we do...  we need to make the carbine recoil system match the rifle recoil system that you have now...

Or, nothing will work.  Without major modification.

Let's figure it out.

Thanks you for the welcome! Yes the ol gal is in working fashion. Quite fun & accurate at 200yrds. Way better than I was anticipating in all honesty. The numbers you mentioned. Will these be on the housing of the A2 stock system or on the buffer itself? The fact you mentioned OG DPMS makes me jump inside knowing there's someone on here even slightly familiar with this set-up. Thanks for reaching back! Also, yes. Just trying to switch out the old A2 stock for a newer adjustable (more comfortable) carbine.

Edited by TeddyBro
Left out info.

1 hour ago, TeddyBro said:

Yes the ol gal is in working fashion. Quite fun & accurate at 200yrds. Way better than I was anticipating in all honesty.

My honest, no-bullshiit suggest is - leave it alone.  Don't fuk with it, then.

Alrighty then. That does suck a bit but also gives me a good reason to build up a new 308 version with the parts I've already acquired. If one were to have at the undertaking what has to match up? The spring tension, buffer weight & gas pressure? Just curious really cause this gunsmithing & such has become my happy place over the past year ish. Thanks for the assistance & advisory lesson tho sincerely! 

Rex, thanks for the input! I have a new carbine stock kit en route already but if that spring is just a better all around spring & leaves a better performance with the new one I will check it out. If you mean the current 243 we were in discussion about that'd be pretty groovy. 

The carbine set up I ordered is indeed milspec as is a few other items I have added(cosmetics mostly) but this stock having a different length/weight buffer was urging my confidence a bit. I will darn sure take these comments into consideration & am looking at that spring now. Thanks again for the input! It's ALL greatly appreciated!

10 4. In all honesty, I am happy to absorb any & everything that those willing to share send my way. I don't take anything personally & value all comments pertaining to this forum. I can only give as much as I know & can find. I'm not a fresh fresh newbie to firearms but I am certainly not anywhere near a seasoned professional. But all in thank you for that little tidbit for I also thought "milspec" was military specs & hadn't any clue they didn't exist in the Ar10 category. What is the "Carbine" as opposed to its opposite?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I like it down that way - nice drive from here to there.

Yeah we do enjoy the scenery. I am originally from Chatham County so a bit closer to Guilford. Love the country  side. Great places to play around with distance shooting & way less people to bother you.

15 hours ago, TeddyBro said:

Yeah! I am Southern Pines/Aberdeen area. We like it here but its growing a bit faster than we thought it would.