• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1971 Ithaca 37 featherweight deer slayer 1971 NM State Patrol and a Mossberg 500 slugster

AngelDeVille

• AngelDeVille changed the title to 1971 Ithaca 37 featherweight deer slayer 1971 NM State Patrol and a Mossberg 500 slugster

I had an M37 50 years ago, a wingshooting version and all blue, probably earlier than '71 though since I acquired mine in 73/74 from a gent who bought it during the Paterson, NJ riots in the 60s if I remember correctly. It never fit me correctly and I always shot high with it so I wound up trading it for getting some work done. But nice action and really great handling otherwise. I took it apart shortly after acquiring it to clean and lube it. That was a mistake! It either wasn't built to be taken apart, ever, or I missed the trick of doing it. I got it back together, but it wasn't easy.

I think they're no longer made, except the Kel-Tec KS7 has the same basic Browning action and is a modern straight line recoil bullpup with plastic and stampings. So they are sorta still made today, but in looking at the M37 and the KS7 you'd never recognize them as related. I have no idea if the KSG is also a modified M37 but that wouldn't surprise me.