• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1911 work, again

Madhouse

I'm working on another, and have a bit of a pinch point.

@392heminut, if you wouldn't mind chiming in?  And anyone else who may know.

I've got another largely functional unit, but I have a sticking point.  Fully assembled, going into battery the slide won't go 100% without some real force.  Even when I drop the slide stop and let it ride home it still stops just short.  Without all of the goodies in the slide everything is smooth as silk, I really like the slide to frame finish on this one.

I've tried all different parts except the barrel itself.  Different guide rod, barrel bushing, guide rod spring, no joy.  I'm wondering, barrel lugs?

Ok, just went back to work on this, and the barrel bushing is definitely causing the issue. Swapped a different bushing, same issue, before I even set the guide rod spring back down the slide won't go into battery with the bushing in place. 

On 7/22/2023 at 5:50 PM, Madhouse said:

Ok @shooterrex, how can I know this link is too long (aside from the whole not going into battery thing, lol)?

Should I buy multiple, or a set, and test fit? Or pull this one and put my digital caliper on the hole-to-hole distance? 

Appreciate your help man! 

Screenshot_20230722-164718.png

Link is too long OR hole in frame mislocated. If barrel and link work in another on spec frame, link may not be your prime suspect.

1 minute ago, Matt.Cross said:

Link is too long OR hole in frame mislocated. If barrel and link work in another on spec frame, link may not be your prime suspect.

Ok, good info, thanks Matt!  I'll try this setup in a spec gun and see what happens.