• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Having a ball with new Uintah .223 upper.

NF1E

Those uppers are pretty damn cool.  Brilliant design, and I hope that company is around forever.   SHOT 2020, they were downstairs with Aero Precision, Ballistic Advantage, and Clint Smith, and they had a damn good booth set up.  That was the first time I'd seen them, and it's a prety impressive upper that they put together - no matter what caliber.

Seriously considering picking up more in other calibers and maybe even a couple for an M5 lower. So much fun having choices. Retirement has been good allowing me the time to play with my hobbies. I do enjoy precision shooting these day.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, unforgiven said:

Nice job and good looking rifle brother. Price's are reasonable https://uintahprecision.com/ a 6mm Arc w/18" stock barrel would be sexy 🤔

The law is so stupid up here that even though it's a bolt action rifle, because it fits into to an AR lower it would be classed as an AR rifle and thus a prohibited rifle(currently) . Even before the current madness it would still have been a restricted rifle with limitations.

Had some time this morning waiting for the range grass to dry before mowing. Found a few old boxes of 77 gn GMM laying on the shelf and just needed shooting up as it has been replaced with a couple of cases of 73 gn Berger GMM. Dang I love the smell of gunsmoke in the morning. Shot off bipod. Before using the GMM up, I shot 20 rnds of hand loaded 40 gn Vmax to warm things up. Did have to add the suppressor cover to cut down the mirage which was terrible after the first 30 rnds. I do enjoy using the NRA MR-31C targets which are 600 yd scaled down for 100 yds with a 3/4" X ring. Whatta Hobby!

Bolt AR 7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got out an fired just 20 rnds with my bolt AR. Trying new ammo. I bought a couple of cases of Federal GM .223 that uses Berger 73 gn otm which is advertised as 2800 fps at the muzzle. Left the scope with setting from handloads that were running the same. First 2 shots clean cold bore were dead center on my sight in target then creeped up slightly. Dropped the elevation 2 clicks and moved onto an MR-31 and shot a 100-9x. First two shots on the MR-31C were at 11 oclock. Left the scope setting alone because they were Xs and the rest were down near 6, go figure. One thing I noticed with this ammo is it produces tons of white smoke. Almost like shooting black powder. I like the 7 rnds through the one 1/4" hole at 6. Now if I could get over being exhausted it would be a lot more fun. Whatta Hobby!

Bolt AR 10.jpg

Bolt AR 8.jpg

Bolt AR 9.jpg

Fired 20 rnds at 100 yds this morning with my bolt AR Unitah 20" upper .223 Wylde. I think 9th is going to like his when he gets a chance to shoot it. Amazing!

Warmup on sightin target produced 5/8" max spread for 10 rnds. Moved the scope up one click and left one click before shooting the MR-31C.  Final score is 100-10X. 1/2" max spread for 10 rnds. This is shot off Atlas bipod with bunny bag. Next goal with this rifle is to shoot a 100-10X without breaking the X ring.  Whatta Hobby!

Bolt AR 10.jpg

100 10x.jpg

100 10x 2.jpg

100 10x 3.jpg

100 10x 4.jpg

That thing works WELL!   Nice shooting.  I'm trying to figure out what caliber I'd want to do one of these uppers in.  I'm pretty sure it would be 6 ARC, 6.5 G, or a distant 3rd place as .224 Valk. 

...and then I think crazy shiit, like Large Frame and 7mm-08...  

• 3 weeks later...

Changed out the Leupold 16x MK 4 for a Sightron 45x fixed for some experimentation. Dang this stuff is fun when you aren't rushed. Got in another case of the Federal GM that is using the 73 gn Bergers. Rifle really seems to like that cartridge. Working up some handloads to try to get as good accuracy. Whatta Hobby!

Bolt AR.jpg

Bolt AR 1.jpg

Bolt AR 3.jpg

Bolt AR 2.jpg

Bolt AR 4.jpg