• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2012 Upper Receivers with Side Charging Capability

Guest LLArms

I only know of one company selling an upper receiver that can use a side charging handle currently. However they want an absurd amount of money (think its in the $700 range) for taking an upper receiver and machining a slot in it for this capability.

You can get a set of Mega MA-Ten upper/receiver for less than that! Or a MA-Ten monolithic quad-rail/upper receiver for the same amount.

The only reason I think they can command this type of price tag is due to lack of competition. Who do we know that is releasing this feature as a new product in 2012?

Short of the ultra cool KR7 by Kaiser, the side-charge solution is virtually the same for them all.  Use any slick side/slab side upper, mill a slot the length of the bolt travel, drill and tap a hole in the BCG, screw in the knob and you're done.

Yeah, you need access to a mill, drill press and carbide bit/tap.  A shop like my dads would probably charge ~$75 to do all of it (supply your own knob).

All well worth it to get rid of the *#&! rear charging handle  ;D

I have a Kaiser receiver set, (non Reach) When they were in business, all of their receivers (AFAIK) were machined to accept the reach system. The way they satisfied my request was to machine a small block that filled the space in the front of the upper, where the front charging arm passed through to bear on the gas key. After seeing a couple of pictures of their guns with the front charger, and  having in my possesion, one of the same type  of SWS  rails that they used. I don't believe it would be too difficult to do a one off of the design. The only problem is, you'd have to be willing to take a mill to your upper, and rail, and once done you'd need to figure out how to go about refinishing the exposed area of the rail.