98Z5V

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Draco, I opened that link right after you posted it...

...and I've been afraid to come back to this thread ever since...  <dontknow> <laughs>

Not while I've still got one to finish - I don't need to be drooling over that thing, man.  ;D

Nah, just been busy lately.  Update pics, for now, and my sad, sad progress.  I haven't been picking up the smaller parts until the major stuff is in, just so it won't drive me absolutely crazy.  My billet upper and lower will be here in about 10 days, and my rail will be in at about the same time.  In about a week, I'll go batshit crazy and gather up everything else, so I'll probably be shooting it at the beginning of June.  Hopefully.

The optic did come in, and since the gun will be a 16" midlength, I stuck the optic on the Little Woman's mini-boomstick just to mock it up and get it set in the mount correctly.  It's a Millett DMS-1 in a Burris PEPR mount - and I'm impressed.  <thumbsup>  Clears the Magpul rear sight just fine, mounts solid and semi-repeatable (I'll be testing that, too), and I'm really liking the illuminated Millett "donut-dot" setup.  It's a 1 -4x, and on 1x, it's got some parralax - the front sight fuzzes out on you.  I might be able to tune some of that out with the focus ring, we'll see. 

SpikesMidupdate1.jpg

SpikesMidupdate2.jpg

Had the chance to hit up a Cabela's (Wheeling, WV) recently, and nailed some ammo to use in the new middie.  Since it's a 1:8 twist barrel, and supposed to be pretty accurate, I was looking for specific rounds.  I got extremely lucky on one of them, and did pretty good on the other stuff.  All of this ammo is something I was looking for in order to do some accuracy testing out of my 20: 1:7 YHM precision gun anyway, so it'll do some double-duty through the new one, too.  <thumbsup>

Found a box of Tubbs loaded Final Finish, which is 10 rounds of the #1 FF rounds and 10 rounds of the #2s.  These will be first through the new baarrel.  Found some Wolf Gold 75gr Match HPBT (only 20 rounds on the shelf), 50 rounds of Ultramax reloaded 75gr Heavy Match hollow points, 50 round of Ultramax 68gr hollow points, and 60 rounds of Prvi Partizan 69gr Match HPBT.  Oh, and a full box of Black Hills Mk262...  It was the only box they had on the shelf, and I had them check for more - if there was more, I would have backed the truck up to the door...  <thumbsup>

SpikesMidupdateammo.jpg

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!  <lmao> <laughs>  Don't think for a second that I missed that little tag line under your avatar, man...  <dontknow> <lmao>  You guys are out to GET me...  :o

Here's something on the DMS-1 that I really like - the brightness settings go all the way to eleven, just like Nigel Tufnel's amp.  (little bit of Spinal Tap humor built right into it...  <lmao>).

MillettDMS-11.jpg

The Donut-Dot is sweet, too.  You can't see it due to my crappy pics, but there's a little 1 MOA dot in the center of the circle.  All three pics are on 1x for the magnification.  Lots of guys were saying the donut-dot washes out in bright sunlight, and it does - but it's gotta be pretty bright to wash it out.  When it washes out, it appears black through the scope, so it's kind of a moot point if it does wash out when bright - you can still sight it when it's that bright. 

MillettDMS-15.jpg

These two pics are of the scope on, and off, just sighted on the same object.  When off, it's a black donut-dot (just like when it washes out).  Still easy to use.

MillettDMS-16.jpg

MillettDMS-17.jpg

I think I'm really gonna like this scope once I get the chance to shoot it.  I like it already, but it'll be a rough couple of extra weeks until I can blast it...  :o

Absolutely, man.  <thumbsup>

Windage knob and cap, with included "Daily Max" spare CR2032 battery:

MillettDMS-1details1.jpg

MillettDMS-1details2.jpg

Elevation knob:

MillettDMS-1details4.jpg

Eyepiece markings on scope:

MillettDMS-1details5.jpg

This scope is marked "Made in China" on the bottom of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if these two are identical.  Probably even the same batteries, which would certainly be a dead giveaway.

the turret knobs do look identical but I have found a difference, mine has a larger rear objective, it takes #20 BC flip up cap while the millet takes a #16 (a little smaller). I see yours has a longer eye relief also. Oh, and the Battery isn't the same, no spare either . Thanks for the pics, much appreciated.

I hate to be a PITA, if you have a set of calipers, can you measure the size of the power ring? I was planning to buy a cat tail for mine, but if my rear objective is bigger, the power ring might be also. So the the Millet DMS-1 cat tail wont fit. Again thanks for the great pics. <thumbsup>

And love the scrolling marquee imschur !!! <lmao>

• 3 weeks later...

Finally making some progress.  I've been gathering some small parts, but bigger parts are starting to trickle in.  Still have about another 2 or 3 weeks before the stripped upper and lower will be here.    :'(

Middygettingclose.jpg

That's a temporary BCM complete BCG there.  This build has just about killed me.  I'll probably break it in with that, but it'll have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron coated BCG by the end of July for sure.  Then it'll be "finished." 

• 4 weeks later...

COMPLETE!!!  It's all finished now, with range time coming up soon.

Rundown:  Spike's billet Biohazard upper and lower, Spike's 12.875" rail, Spike's nickel boron-coated Battle Trigger, Spike's ST-T2 powdered tungsten heavy buffer, Wilson-Nordic 1:8 twist stainless midlength barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber, MI lo-pro gas block, YHM Phantom flash hider, BAD-ASS ambi safety selector, BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 (large latch) charging handle, Millett DMS-1 scope in a Burris PEPR mount, Magpul MIAD, UBR with enhanced buttpad, MBUS front and rear sights, windowed Pmags, RVG, and BAD lever, with a Blue Force Gear padded Vickers sling.  I'm running a BCM BCG right now, but that's a temp until next month when I can put the Spike's nickel boron-coated BCG in it (made by Fail Zero for Spike's).  I'm glad this thing is finished...  :o

SpikesBilletMiddy.jpg

SpikesBilletMiddy2.jpg

SpikesBilletMiddy4.jpg

SpikesBilletMiddy3.jpg

SpikesBilletMiddy6.jpg

SpikesBilletMiddy5.jpg

• 1 month later...

A'ight, I've got a literal poop-pot full of shooting I need to do coming up, and I'll need to "schedule" it all to make it right.  I've got the Little Woman's 16" Middie to break in (she's going to the range to do that herself, daimet, not me - her gun, she can "suffer through that" herself).  Have to break in my 16" billet Middie, of this thread here.  <thumbsup>

I need to get on some .308 stuff, directed (and ordered, by the way) from Drew - both bolt and semi.  My local, sweet, FREE 100-yard range opens back up on September 1st, then we have kids going to school after that weekend, UUUUUNNNGH.  Shat!  (They need to get their arses outta the house - or get downrange and start holdin' my targets for me...)  After that weekend of "the kids in school," I should have some bolt gun ammo pics to put up, and if I time the range right, I can shoot bolt gun on a Tuesday and semi on a Wednesday.  I be workin' on Thurs~Sat, relieving my brain on Sunday, and can get results up on Monday.  Earliest I'll be able to shoot will be 7~8 Sep, latest being 14~15 Sep.  Excitement will ensue...    <lmao>

Forgot to add this part - I broke my digital camera.  How that happened, I have NO idea.  <dontknow>  I simply thought the batteries died, so I put new ones in it - and it didn't turn on.  I pulled out my $450 multimeter and tested the new batteries, and they're WAY GOOD.  I killed my camera.  I didn't drop it, or throw it (been known to happen, really...), it wasn't submerged in anything at all...  I have no clue.  It's been used and abused, so I think I just killed the damn thing.  :o

I'll get another one before the shooting-outing, but that's just another delay for me...  :'(

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this one - Took it out last Tuesday (Sep 7th) for the barrel breakin and initial sight zero.  I knew with the 1:8 twist barrel that I'd need some ammo in the 68 grain range, so I'd stocked up months prior.  I had some 69gr Prvi Partizan Match and some Ultramax 68gr Match HPBT ready to go. 

Alright, last week.  Did the zero at 25 yards on the MBUS front/rear, and on the Millet DMS-1.  I put the first 20 rounds through it using the Tubb Final Finish ammo.  Interestingly enough, that stuff is too long to mag load, so I loaded each one by hand, through the ejection port door.  Shoot 5, clean the barrel, just like the back of the box says.  Worked well, and the barrel shoots well, but I can't say what it would have shot like with or without the Final Finish.  I'm happy with the stuff because the barrel IS shooting well - but I can't say how it would have shot without it.  The stuff went through...  <thumbsup>  Did all the zero work with PMC Bronze ammo.

Flash forward to this Tuesday (Sep 14th).  I took it back out and rezeroed for 50 yards, irons and scope.  Used the PMC Bronze again.  You'll see those 3 shot groups circled in red on the target below.  Next up, I loaded 5 rounds of M855 62 grain penetrator.  I figured the way the barrel was handling the 55 grain stuff, the 62 grain penetrators would work pretty well - wrong.  That barrel and that ammo don't work well together.  My hopes were down...  >:(

Next up - hell with it, right?  10 rounds of the PPU 69 grain.  WooHoo!!!  Liked it.  then 10 rounds of the Ultramax 68 grain HPBTs.  Right on!  Last was 10 rounds of the Black Hills Match 77 grain HPBTs.  I kinda thought the 68-range of ammo would be better, but the Black Hills is, well, great stuff.  Target below.

BilletTgtGraph2.jpg

Ran the individual targets through the On Target Precision Calculator to come up with the numbers.  I'm not so sure these numbers are correct, because I had to enlarge the picture - something just didn't seem right when I ran it this time.  I'll double check everything and see what's going on.  Here's the data:

BilletTgtGfx1.jpg

BilletTgtGfx.jpg

Here's the sweet little range that I love shooting on - it's part of public land and run by the wildlife management area.  It's completely 100% free to use, and goes out to 100 yards.  There's only 6 shooting lanes, but each one is very nice - the whole facility is very nice.  <thumbsup>  There's never a dedicated Range Master there; everyone just kinda polices themselves.  Freedom.  ;D

Range1.jpg

Overhead walls, to keep people from shooting high, over the range boundaries - looks low, but all targets are visible underneath it, easily.  Each shooting position also has a little wooden awning for shade.  Sweet.  That's the 14.5" gun in the sled, zeroing the EoTech.

Range2.jpg

The Fat Bastard, in the sled:

Range3.jpg

The ones waiting in the rack for that day - 14.5" gun on the right, Spike's billet 16" on the left:

Range4.jpg