• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Receiver Extension securing method

sinsterurge

Good morning all;

I am using a Mega Arms lower (ma-ten build), a DPMS Receiver extension tube (rifle length) and plan on putting a Magpul PRS stock on the end of it. Is the receiver tube simply screwed on? No threadlocker etc? I know on carbine length stocks they stack the endplate. Does the Magpul PRS go into the backplate notch and get secured? I do not own the PRS stock yet. Just doing research. Thanks.

Should secure to the extension ,just like the A2 stock .

I have never used any thread locker ( just gun oil )on any receiver extension threads. Just tighten it up on the lower , there should be a set of notches for a wrench (open end type ) on the back of the extension.

If you are putting this stock on a 308 , make sure you get the PRS made for the longer charging handle throw .

On the rifle extensions, they screw in tight into the receiver.  The notch in the bottom of the buttstock indexes into the lower receiver.  Then the buttstock is screwed into the back of the extension - for it to loosen up, both the screw (into the back of the extension) and the extension itself (from the back of the receiver) would have to loosen up.  Once it's installed correctly, it kinda keeps itself tight, and in place. 

I used the rifle length tube on my .308. When I tigtend it up I used a strap wrench to make it really snug.

There are flats machined into the end of the tube so you can use a standard wrench.  Most 'armorer's tools' also have a provision for this job.