• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pulled Bullets / Brass

BeeKay

I bought some pulled bullets and empty primed brass a few months ago that I'm just beginning to use .
It was a pretty good deal, I haven't reloaded any of it yet and I'm about to find out how it goes.

So I have a question - Some of the cases have a brownish substance smeared around the inside of the neck .
A asked around and I was told that it's a sealant / adhesive that protects the loaded ammo from weather damage .
The guy knew what the stuff is, but he didn't know how to remove it .
Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with that substance ?
I tried a Q-Tip with some solvent on it and so far nothing I've tried will cut it.

Or should I just ignore it ?

Also any advice for getting pulled ammo to perform well - It's all FMJ and I figured that I could probably use it for practice at 100 yd paper targets.

Advice appreciated - Thank You

What kind of tumbling method do you use to clean up brass cases after firing.  I've found that stainless steel pins with a drizzle of Dawn dish soap, in HOT water in a wet tumbler gets just about anything off of and out of cases.  Much better than dry tumbling, and its dust free.

1 minute ago, dpete said:

What kind of tumbling method do you use to clean up brass cases after firing.  I've found that stainless steel pins with a drizzle of Dawn dish soap, in HOT water in a wet tumbler gets just about anything off of and out of cases.  Much better than dry tumbling, and its dust free.

They're primed cases, and I'd prefer to keep the primer dry if possible

Yep, exact what Larry said above - shoot 'em! 

Military ammunition is manufactured to be waterPROOF down to 250ft.  That tar sealant at the case mouth is for that exact purpose.  Your primers are sealed in the case with a colored laquer, too.  In the old days it was red, but modern ammo is a green sealant.  Doesn't really matter what color it is - they just gave it a color, so you could tell the primer was sealed, too.   :thumbup: