• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

22 ARC

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Magwa said:

well I will have to see how it does.....

Worst case wind scenario I've ever shot in...   14.9mph continuous, full value from left to right, through the Kestrel.  Shooting due west, wind from due south.  850 yards, IPSC plate for a target, Mk12 Mod 1 gun, shooting handloads, 75gr Hornady HPBTs rolling 2789.75 fps averaged over 30 shots out of the 18" barrel.  Dope on the round is solid.  Went for the 850 in that 15mph wind, held straight up, @Matt.Cross was my spotter.  50 yards right was the first impact and call.  Eventually adjusted for the wind, ended up holding 5.75 mils for wind, and it was ringing steel every single time, in a 15mph full value wind, at 850 yards. Curved that shiit in there like Angelina Jolie...  :laffs:  She used Hollywood and cameras, but I used math and science and wind-reading...  I already knew I was fucked, because the Kestrel told me so.  But, I also felt that fastass wind, and there was NO mirage, and that meant it was north of 12mph wind.  Did a 45* offset wind check, and it was about the same.  Did a 60* offset wind check, and came up with 14mph.  Kestrel was more accurate, at 14.9.  I could have got there doing the offset check, though. 

I'm not scared of .224 projos and wind, brother.  The 88s will do even better than the 75s, at bucking that, if I'm in a situation like that again.  That shooting session burned the details of the hold, and the wind speed, and the distance, into my brainpan.  I can first-round that shiit again, if I'm in those same conditions, with that cartridge.  

Now, I wanna get this upper done, get the load right - then go find me a 15mph full value wind and shoot 850...   :thumbup::banana:

21 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

I liked it too. That was some hellacious wind that day...

We got out there early-kinda in the morning, and it was pretty calm.  Then things went to hell-in-a-handbasket, and the wind picked up, stayed up, AFTER we had the 850 and 500 plates set in position.  It's almost like God planned this upon us...  "Brace yourselves, Boys..."   :laffs:

The questions were quick, and short.  "Do we tear down and pack it in? THIS SUCKS!"    "Hell no - we shoot it anyway.  Only one way to figure this mess out..."   :lmao:

We stayed, shot, and figured it all out.  At the beginning, it looked like it was gonna suck BAD.  But what's The Rule on that?  "The only thing that would make this ANY better, is if it SUCKED MORE!"  :banana:   We truly learned alot - ALOT - that day...   :thumbup:

Days like that like my[ Destiny altitude day] are lessons in life you never forget and they spark you to learn so much more than if you had not had that day or avoided that day . It is easy to quit many do it BUT those of us that choose not to quit can get very good at the things we choose to learn and be passionate about......

Super-curious about this cartridge, so I went on the hunt for any load data on it.  Not much available, but lots of reference to ".224 Valkyrie powders are safe," and "Use .22 Grendel data...," and things like that.  That set me on the road to finding .22 Grendel data. 

Hornady has NO reloading data available on it yet, but when that comes out, it'll be on their Erata Data webpage.  Eventually, I stumbled upon the Hodgdon reloading data webpage - this one:

https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

Strangely enough, they already have 22 ARC in the rifle cartridge dropdown menu.  Closest projectile to an 88 that they list is 85.5, so I selected that, and checked out the listed powders.  Looks like these 3 are pretty good, and I already use those for other cartridges.  Interesting....

Here are the 3...  (when you keep clicking them, they get large enough to actually read)

22ARCHodgdondataforAccurate2520.thumb.jpg.02df6f9d133c58263a8748f8cec960c2.jpg

22ARCHodgdondataforCFE223.thumb.jpg.bba3c675cfba42ae4a845834b99a587b.jpg

22ARCHodgdondataforStaBALL6-5.thumb.jpg.280ebe89b66b2c654db43180dccc991d.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Accurate 2520 is my go-to powder for 123gr 6.5 Grendel loads.  It was the first powder I tried for the 108gr 6 ARC loads, and it stays for that one, too. In a similar fashion, it might be really good for the 22 ARC.  CFE 223 is what I worked up the 88gr .224 Valk loads with - I need to revisit that one, and re-do all the work over again.  It'll be better than I initially thought.  I use StaBALL 6.5 for the 7mm-08.  It would be interesting to see what it would do in a 22 ARC loadup. 

Very Interesting...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

Case dimensions and drawing, for those that geek out on this stuff.

22ARCCaseDimensionsDrawingPrint.thumb.jpeg.c63529bbc01b6910f244afc047df0572.jpeg

Here's the comparison to the current Wildcat, the .22 Grendel.  From the looks of this, below, compared to above, you'll be able to neck down some 6.5 Grendel brass, and make this work, without turning the necks.  Which is a big plus.

22GrendelCaseDimensionsPrint.thumb.jpeg.d3bc926fb1e5a2b83b1eeaaa222cb127.jpeg

If anyone is interested in waiting...   Ballistic Advantage will list their barrels in late Jan / early Feb, on their website.  Earlier emails will be sent, on barrel launch, if you're signed up on their email list.

E.R. Shaw barrels (Shaw Custom Barrels) has a pre-order up right now, with barrels at discounted prices...  if you wait.  I have a 12.5" heavy barrel, 7-twist, midlength gas, pre-ordered right now.  For the 18", I'm waiting for the BA SPR profile barrel, when it drops.  As soon as it drops, I'll let you know, because I'll already have one on order...  

Here's the Shaw webpage on the 22 ARC barrel offerings. 

https://www.shawcustombarrels.com/shop/category/22-arc/70

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, Madhouse said:

Pretty hot little round at 3300 muzzle velocity, ballistics look good

That thing is screamin' for a 62gr setup!  Haulin' the mail, on a fragmenting round.  I'll be running the 88gr ELD-Ms through it, and they're moving, but not like that.  Got the Hornady Custom Grade dies today in the mail, and another Lee Factory Crimp Die to add into the die box.  Didn't come with a shell holder, which was weird, but I'll pick up a couple Grendel shell holders next time I'm out to a place that has them.   Pre-order is on on a Shaw barrel, 12.5" midlength.  For something like the 18" that I love, I'm waiting for BA.  The Shaw required you to select a drop-down option, forcing you to acknowledge that you were pre-ordering a barrel that will be available sometime during 1st quarter, 2024...   End of March, basically.  BA won't list their barrels until end of Jan / beginning of Feb.  I'm sure that has something to do with SHOT Show timing.  I'm on the notification list for that.  Be a couple of badass uppers coming up soon.  Ish.   :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Magwa said:

what will barrel life be like?

I'm not gonna run those 62s at 3300.  18"er pushing 88s around 2750 will be more like it.  I'll be interested to see what the 12.5"er puts up with the 88s.  With the kind of speeds I'm planning, it'll be a barrel life like running the 75s at 2750 on one of the Mk12 guns. 

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm not gonna run those 62s at 3300.  18"er pushing 88s around 2750 will be more like it.  I'll be interested to see what the 12.5"er puts up with the 88s.  With the kind of speeds I'm planning, it'll be a barrel life like running the 75s at 2750 on one of the Mk12 guns. 

rgr that seems like running anything over 3000 and sustained fire really shortens barrel life....

So, I got in on the Shaw 12.5" heavy barrel right away, at $164.  It's a pre-order, and it's still in a pre-order status, but the price has gone up to $203 now... 

Lesson 65b.  You Snooze, You Lose. 

If you guys are gonna get into any of their barrels for this caliber, do it before the prices go up again, I'm just sayin'...   :thumbup:

https://www.shawcustombarrels.com/shop/product/22-arc-12.5-1-7-twist-hbar-contour-no-flute/532

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from KAK Industries today - they launched their 22 ARC barrel lineup.  There are 3 of them, but this is the one that interests me most - the 18" rifle gas barrel...

https://kakindustry.com/22-arc-ar15-barrel-18-hbar-fluted-416r-stainless/

Barrels_42__06920.thumb.webp.1f7836f583fbe43d04f19a71556cd02d.webp

Everything about it looks perfect, for what I want in that barrel, and the price is OUTSTANDING!   However, sometime in the next 2 weeks, BA will announce their 22 ARC lineup, and I'm sure their 18" SPR barrel will be one of them.  I'm hanging on, and will wait for that one, because I have indepth experience on how well the BA SPR barrels perform. 

Good news from Ballistic Advantage - they have 13 different 22 ARC barrels listed now, under it's own section.  The bad news?  All listed as "Coming Soon" and "Out of Stock"...   Estimated ship time on the 18" rifle-gas SPR profile, bead blasted, is 4 to 6 weeks...

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/ar-barrels/22-arc

So, Ballistic Advantage opened up the 22 ARC ordering today, received the email whilst at work this afternoon.  I ordered the 18" rifle gas SPR barrel (big shock to everyone here, I know...   :laffs:) tonight once I got home.  The listing yesterday stated that everything was out of stock, and shipping would be in 4 to 6 weeks.  A bunch of the barrel profile listings today were listed as "In Stock," but at the bottom, it still stated shipping in 4 to 6 weeks.  We'll see.  It's either in stock like it changed to today, and I might get a tracking number in a couple days...   Or I might get the tracking number in 4 to 6 weeks. 

Time will tell.  :thumbup: