• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5 Grendel questions

bubbas4570

Brothers, all I have for you are questions and nothing solid in return.

These questions are for my son, and he is building a 6.5 Grendel with a Faxon barrel.  His main question currently is 18 or 20".....which is best to get the performance?

After that, what manufacturers do you recommend for an upper build for him.  Nothing is purchased yet, and I don't have the knowledge to offer the best opinions on this caliber.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

Brothers, all I have for you are questions and nothing solid in return.

These questions are for my son, and he is building a 6.5 Grendel with a Faxon barrel.  His main question currently is 18 or 20".....which is best to get the performance?

After that, what manufacturers do you recommend for an upper build for him.  Nothing is purchased yet, and I don't have the knowledge to offer the best opinions on this caliber.

Thanks.

I built a Grendel with an 18 inch Faxon barrel.  I was shooting at 600 with it today.  It was built with an Aero Precision receiver set.

On 11/11/2023 at 5:56 PM, bubbas4570 said:

These questions are for my son, and he is building a 6.5 Grendel with a Faxon barrel.  His main question currently is 18 or 20"...

I'm an absolute Grendel Whore, with 5 of those mouths to feed.  2 are 18", 2 are 16", and one is 12.5".  I've run the 12.5" to 850 yards, repeatably. 

One 18" is a Faxon light(er) weight barrel, and it runs great.  One 18" is the BA Mk12 profile barrel, and that thing is just lights-out accurate.

One 16" is the BA Mk12 profile barrel, and that thing is just lights-out accurate.  Should be seeing a pattern in what I'm saying right here...

If I could only have one of my guns, ever, should it come to that, and shiit-can all the others, I'd pick up that 16" Grendel with the BA Mk12 profile barrel, and I'd forget about the rest of them.  That thing will do anything I could ever ask of it, and never leave me disappointed in my choice on choosing it.

Now, if your boy is hung between 18" and 20", and he's not all wrapped around the axle on that Faxon barrel - tell him to get the Ballistic Advantage Mk12 profile Grendel barrel.  He won't regret it.

My $0.02...

On 11/17/2023 at 2:03 PM, bubbas4570 said:

Coolness, I will pass that along.

In testament, I recently broke in 2 different BA SPR Profile barrels recently.  One was a 14.5" midlength .223 Wylde chamber, and that thing performs as well as I could wish for it.  The other was another 18" SPR rifle gas barrel, .223 Wylde chamber, and I just watched it in a match this morning, shoot 47 of 51 targets, and do it very well. 

BA SPR Profile barrels, whatever the caliber - those things REALLY perform.  For what you pay, they punch well above their weight class, and rival some 500 and 600 dollar barrels. 

In my personal collection, I have that BA SPR profile barrel lined up in (multiple) .223 Wydle, (multiple) 6.5 Grendel, one .224 Valkyrie, and one 6 ARC.  None of them suck, nowhere close.  They're all badass, performing barrels.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V