• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 Plastic Training Ammo

Spaniky73

When I was searching for bulk plinking ammo I came across this

PTA%20THUMBjpg2.jpghttp://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8699&dir=18|830|848

They are made by H&k for the p91. They have a special bolt for it to cycle. It is a 10gr plastic round with 12grs of powder and travels at 3500-4700fps. From what I understand it is accurate out to about 100-300yds and recoils like a .22lr. I was wondering if anyone here had used them and would give me their 2 cents? It is hard to pass up 1000rds for under $200 but turning my semi-auto into a bolt action does not sound like fun after 20-30 rounds.

The old ones were a rubber material (very lethal at close range). All of the current military sim rounds that I have ever used are a subsonic chalk like material that disintegrates on impact. I have been hit on bare skin at 10ft and it did not break skin but it sure left a welt. To be lethal you need to be in the point blank range. These are lethal at over 100yds.

Yeah, I'm the sucker ! I bought a case of 1000  in the fall of 2009. It is german miltary practice ammo. It is accurate up to 200 yards ,the tip separates from the body and could kill small animals at close range. It will not cycle in any of my AR guns, two of my freinds were shooting them in their shops and it is quite loud. One bolt gun had problems with the firing pin not having enough pressure to set them off. Plus side super cheap to shoot and almost no recoil. I still have an untouched half case{500}

Would be good if you were teaching a teenager to shoot but that would be it , PITA to do single shots.

Mike

Sims can be very lethal at close range...

When simunition first came out we used it in my Police Academy. We weren't instructed very well on the minimum engagement distances. During a sims battle one of our trainees was hiding behind a low wall. A second trainee snuck up behind the wall and shot the first trainee in the top of the head. The shot was only inches away, and completely unprotected. The result was NOT lethal, but it did result in a trip to the emergency room.

When simunition first came out we used it in my Police Academy. We weren't instructed very well on the minimum engagement distances. During a sims battle one of our trainees was hiding behind a low wall. A second trainee snuck up behind the wall and shot the first trainee in the top of the head. The shot was only inches away, and completely unprotected. The result was NOT lethal, but it did result in a trip to the emergency room.

No offence but  should have been common sence not to put a firearm inches from someones head and pull the trigger,just saying :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Yeah, I'm the sucker ! I bought a case of 1000  in the fall of 2009. It is german miltary practice ammo. It is accurate up to 200 yards ,the tip separates from the body and could kill small animals at close range. It will not cycle in any of my AR guns, two of my freinds were shooting them in their shops and it is quite loud. One bolt gun had problems with the firing pin not having enough pressure to set them off. Plus side super cheap to shoot and almost no recoil. I still have an untouched half case{500}

Would be good if you were teaching a teenager to shoot but that would be it , PITA to do single shots.

Mike

So you would not recommend these?