• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision Carbine Buffer Tube

It seems that there is some kind of issue or concern with the Aero Precision carbine buffer tube assembly, so far I have used 3 of the enhanced versions without any apparent issues so far, is the length of the tube a problem?, all 3 have orange springs, 2 with 5.7oz buffers and 1 with 5.3oz buffers. Just wondering about it, quality issue?, long term concern perhaps? If there is concern, what is the general consensus as the best tube (carbine length). As always any input or suggestions are always greatly appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Primeh1alpha said:

It seems that there is some kind of issue or concern with the Aero Precision carbine buffer tube assembly, so far I have used 3 of the enhanced versions without any apparent issues so far, is the length of the tube a problem?,

Internal Depth is the spec that everyone should look at, over everything else.  Very first, and last AP .308 Carbine Extension kit that I bought - was my last.  the 3.8oz buffer is too light, I have no idea what the spring was, didn't match up to anything that should be in a .308AR, and here's the malfunction part that took forever to find, once the buffer and spring were fixed - the source of the malfunction that I was having was because the actual Carbine Receiver Extension wasn't machined properly.  It's exact problem was, it was machined 7.100" deep.  No bueno.  Once I replaced it, no more issues.

So, if someone insists that they're gonna run the AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension on a .308AR, they better make sure that the internal depth of the extension is 7.000" deep.  Not more.  The REAL spec is the Armalite spec, and that's 6 15/16" internal depth.  For years and years, the aftermarket has gotten away with 7.000" internal, with no detrimental affects, so 7.000" works.  7.100" internal - that doesn't work.

If that base for the recoil system is what someone chooses, just purchase a legit "mil-spec" AR15 carbine extension from a reliable vendor, and you shouldn't have any issues, and the internal depth should be 7.000" internal. 

The real answer for Carbine Recoil Systems on these large-frames is to run the parts that mimic the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System.  Mil-spec diameter extension (1.14" OD) that is 7 5/8" internal depth.  AR15 Carbine H3 buffer that weighs 5.4oz, and is 3.250" long, and the Armalite AR-10 Recoil Spring, the EA-1095. Done.  Bulletproof carbine recoil system for any average .308 Win-firing large-frame AR.  When the genuine Armalite parts aren't available, there are a few verified substitutes that work very, very well, and meet the specs needed.

My $0.02.

Thanks for the info once again, off with the tape measure to find out for sure, never had the M5 kit, just bought the tubes only. Only used the highly recommended orange springs and also the buffers. Did not want to go down that rabbit hole not even once (read way too many horror stories here) And good sir any wisdom you hand out is WAY more than the advertised 2 cents. You all have a good evening and thanks once more.

Ok, just checked all three of my buffer tubes and thank goodness all of them are just under 7" . Really very close to the magic 6 and 15/16. At least with my poor Dewalt tape measure (seen some better days) There may be a chance that I'm reading way too much stuff and getting a little freaked at times. 

2 hours ago, Primeh1alpha said:

Ok, just checked all three of my buffer tubes and thank goodness all of them are just under 7" . Really very close to the magic 6 and 15/16. At least with my poor Dewalt tape measure (seen some better days) There may be a chance that I'm reading way too much stuff and getting a little freaked at times. 

You are good to go with those extensions, man.  Fret not.  :thumbup:    7.000" is okay, works.  More internal depth than that is not okay.  Under 7.000" - as long as it's not crazy, is even better.  The real number from the originator, is 6 15/16" internal depth. About the only place on the planet that you'll find that is from Armalite themselves, or a real Colt part from the M4/M4A1 program. 

Alot of people forget this part - Eugene Stoner was the brains behind the gas-gun project at Armalite.  However, he worked for Colt, and Kinght's Armament, as well, after his start at Armalite.