• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy with a build in the works!

I was doing a little function testing and encountered a small snag. I pulled the bolt back with the empty mag in it to check the bolt catch. It locked back perfectly, then I went to release it ant notice the bolt catch wasn't going down far enough. Turns out the corner of the bolt catch was riding on the slot in the lower when pressure was applied by the mag.

At this point I'm thinking I'm completely boned because the way that the TM-10 secures the bolt catch is very difficult to remove, if possible at all. I started manipulating the catch by hand finding exactly where the contact was between the two parts.

Then I did something that nearly made me break out in a cold sweat; I pulled out the dremel. I proped the catch in the 'up' position (while in the lower) and slowly beveled the offending edge. Worked like a charm! NOW its functioning the way it should have from the start. I just neet to take a little emery cloth and smooth out the area I dremeled and find some way to cover up the bare metal areas. I may use my Birchwood Casey super black pen to protect the metal unless anyone has a better solution.

For those that are interested, the part was from Fulton Armory's LPK and here's a pic of the edges I altered (in red)

30834904.png

Sounds like you have a burr in the lower"s slot for the bolt catch . Look in there with a magnifing glass & good light.

The pin & set screw would cause some problems ,but as was said a good magnet will probably pull the pin out .

You really need to try the magnet ,because I will be getting one of TM's lowers here shortly. <thumbsup>

I polish all my catches (and just about every thing that moves ) to de-burr them & cold blue them when done , you can't see the catch part that rides in its slot any way.

I may try to remove it. If I do, I'll get back to you. Cold blue is a good idea. I'm not as worried about appearance as I am corrosion. I think the catch itself was the issue. When I initially assembled it before I put the set screw in, I could tell that it was going to be an issue so I rounded the corner. I guess I just didn't take enough off.

Sounds like you have a burr in the lower"s slot for the bolt catch . Look in there with a magnifing glass & good light.

The pin & set screw would cause some problems ,but as was said a good magnet will probably pull the pin out .

You really need to try the magnet ,because I will be getting one of TM's lowers here shortly. <thumbsup>

I polish all my catches (and just about every thing that moves ) to de-burr them & cold blue them when done , you can't see the catch part that rides in its slot any way.

Well, I got it out! I held a magnet to the hole for the pin, held the catch so the spring tension wasn't restricting movement, and hit the buffer tube on the ground (on carpet) as it walked its way out. I wish I could tell you it was easy, but in all honesty, it was a pain in the ass! It took me about 15 mins to get it out once I got my method figured out. Once I got the catch out, I could see that the corners of it were digging into the rounded edges of the slot in the lower. I rounded both vertical edges and the bottom corner a little more and polished it up nicely. Its like butta now, releases with ease! I put an extra milspec trigger I had laying around in it for now, and have my stock on the way. Hopefully by this time next week, I'll be able to test fire it!