• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy with a build in the works!

Hey guys-

I'm new to the site, but not to ARs and the forum scene. I built my first AR about 2 years ago and BRD ensued! I do my own reloading for a lot of calibers, and I've come up with loads for each of these rifles that print under .6moa. I took the 18" out to 200 and was able to get under .5moa. Here's a couple pics of my two 6.8 builds.

18" Bison SPR

dscn3060f.jpg

16" ARP SOCOM

dscn3061n.jpg

I recently came across a good deal on this upper:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4775

So I'm going to build an AR in .308. Here's a few of the parts I plan to use. Feel free to give me my input on what will or won't work, and any suggestions that may help:

-TM-10 Stripped Lower

-Bison armory BRX 18" 1:10" Barrel (I got in on a group buy to get the word out on Bisons introduction to the .308 world)

-JD FF Tube

-JP Enhanced Bolt (Still need to pick/ find a carrier)

-BCM Gunfighter CH

Thats my list so far. I'm pretty excited about this project!

Make sure of your rail heights match the hand guards . The newer DPMS rail heights on there 308's uppers were lowered a few years ago & some hand guard rails heights are not compatible .(looks or BUIS )

Just ask JD if they match the newer 308 DPMS uppers.(If you plan on using rails that is )

+1, and welcome to the club

I have a few questions in regards to this build?

-Which carriers will be compatible with the JP bolt other than the JP carrier (and also compatible with the dpms upper)?

-Users of the TM-10 lower and DPMS upper, how was the fit between the two, and are the pin holes the same size or will I need bushings?

-Should I stick with the TM LPK, or are there better options out there?

Thats it for now, thanks for the help guys!

In regards to the TM-10 lower, I used the TM LPK.  I believe your lower should have come with a pin and set screw for the bolt catch which will allow you to install any brand LPK you choose.  The DPMS upper fits the lower ok, has a little slope to it but it's not annoying.  The take down pins fit perfectly. 

I have a few questions in regards to this build?

-Which carriers will be compatible with the JP bolt other than the JP carrier (and also compatible with the dpms

upper)?

You can use any bolt carrier with the JP Enhanced Bolt, except Armalite, I'm not sure about Armalite.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, It's coming along now, so here's a little update:

I decided to change the FF tube I'm using to the 12" Apex. I'm still waiting on my barrel and bolt to ship, but I received my TM-10 (great looking lower!), carrier, and LPK (minus FCG).

I'm currently shopping around for a good price on a Magpul PRS and need the buffer set up as well. I'm also waiting on midway codes to come so I can purchase the misc parts like gas block, ergo grip with palm shelf, etc.

I noticed that TM came out with their upper, so I'm also trying to sell the DPMS upper I bought, which was the whole reason I started this project in the first place. Funny how things work out like that with black rifles HAHA!

I'm thinking about a Gissell(sp) SSA trigger, and a comp from ARP. For optics I'm going to get a Millet TRS-1 and put it in a LaRue mount.

I'm currently shopping around for a good price on a Magpul PRS and need the buffer set up as well.

Here's How I went -

MAGPUL PRS $184.95

http://westernsportonline.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=tgf595ke2b3qrvu5nu2lgcbid3

MAGPUL PRS Completion Kit (tube, spring, buffer) $36-

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Magpul-PRS-Completion-Kit.html

I see the PRS is out of stock right now on Western Sports - hopefully they will be back in stock there soon.

Hope this helps!

Just found a midway code, so I ordered: Buffer/ tube/ spring, BCM Gunfighter, Ergo with palm shelf, LP gas block, and gas tube.

My list is getting shorter! Muzzle device, optics/ mount, mags, PRS, and Trigger.

Thanks for that link, I ordered a FF tube from western, and was happy with their service. I'll have to bookmark them and be ready to jump on it when it comes back in stock.

I'm really happy with the handguard I chose. It mounts up really solid, and the thinner diameter will really compliment the thinner barrel diameter I think. I found a guy selling a 308 version PRS on my 6.8 forum for 180 shipped so I nabbed that sucker too. Just need the trigger and optics and she'll be ready to rock! (well, Mags too..)