• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 noob questions...sorry in advance

6shootr

I believe Fulton armory sells criterion match barrels, and for $300, it can't be beat  <thumbsup>

That's exactly where I bought mine...Fulton Armory.  Since I already had a BCG, I just sent them my bolt and they headspaced it for me to be sure it would be right.  Quick turnaround also...I think 7 business days from when I sent my bolt to them until I had the barrel in my hand.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Fulton armory sells criterion match barrels, and for $300, it can't be beat  <thumbsup>

I will thanks a bunch! i did send you a pm not too long ago.  I'm going to start with the upper reciever; i'm going to do it right so it's going to be a long slow process haha but hopefully not too painful.  Am i going to need any misc. springs or any tiny pieces? 

now they're $340 on fulton's website...poop! haha

Not if you get the one that I got which is the stainless steel, medium contour below the one you're looking at.  It's $280 and about $20 shipping for a total of $300.  The gas block is .936 OD and only weighs half a pound more than the black one you're looking at...that's 8 oz more, practically nothing distributed over the entire length of the barrel and will have more rigidity than the thinner barrel which translates to more accuracy.  Not trying to sell you on what I have, just making some observations to consider.  The black barrel you are looking at also has a chrome lined barrel, so if it shoots well, it will last for damn near forever.

thanks a bunch for the info.  After that comment and what i've heard so far i think building one from scratch is probably the way to go.  Only reason i'm considering piston over DI is because this gun may be getting dirty and i may add a suppressor in the future.  What kind of yardage are you shooting at with the new barrel and what groupings?  Just seeing what i should expect with a little practice.

So far I've only shot at 200 yards or less, but accuracy has been great.  I was competing with my brother who has a custom bolt action rifle and we were playing tic-tac-toe.  Each square had an "X" in the upper left corner and an "O" in the lower right corner.  To establish the square with an "X" or an "O", you had to hit the  x or o.  I was shooting for the X's and my brother was shooting for the O's.  The letters were 3/8" by 3/8" and we were shooting them at 200 yards.  Now, that's not to say we were hitting them with every shot, but we were hitting them consistently enough to be really happy.  You can find the targets at freetargetz.com.  Keep in mind, we were using match ammo, but I was competing with (and beating) a top-end bolt action rifle.  I'm in the process of load development and am looking forward to getting it back from the smith so I can shoot my first developed rounds.  The ammo I've been using has been relatively inexpensive Federal American Eagle 168 grain OTM (for the M1A). 

thanks for the info.  Anywhere on the build that i can save a little money will be a lot of help.  So the one you bought is chrome lined as well as the more expensive one?  If that's the case i'll save the 60 bucks and go that route.  Wow that's impressive.  If you don't mind me asking, what's developed ammo?  Just never heard of that before haha. 

In other news...bought the lower today!  Well in 4-6 weeks it'll be mine haha.  Went with a TM-10

When guys reload, we usually put together a ladder load- meaning we start at a certain grain level and go up in small increments in order to develop a load that shoots well for our rifles.

Whats with the 4-6 week wait on the TM-10? I just picked mine up from my FFL yesterday. It only took about a week to get to me. I was very happy with the fit and finish of mine. It also comes with the bolt catch pin and set screw to hold it in place, and the set screw to hold the spring for the rear take down detent in. It was a nice surprise to me. Sounds like we're in similar stages in our builds. I'll be paying attention to this thread.

When guys reload, we usually put together a ladder load- meaning we start at a certain grain level and go up in small increments in order to develop a load that shoots well for our rifles.

Whats with the 4-6 week wait on the TM-10? I just picked mine up from my FFL yesterday. It only took about a week to get to me. I was very happy with the fit and finish of mine. It also comes with the bolt catch pin and set screw to hold it in place, and the set screw to hold the spring for the rear take down detent in. It was a nice surprise to me. Sounds like we're in similar stages in our builds. I'll be paying attention to this thread.

OOO ok i gotcha.  thanks for the lesson.  Not sure, i called them an hour or so ago and that's what the guy on the phone said.  They're on back order on the website.  Maybe (hopefully) it'll be a lot shorter period.  O awesome! good to know.  Are you using their upper as well or a different upper?  Can you link me to your thread as well?

he's talking about developing a load by reloading his own and tweaking until he finds the powder and bullet combination that yields the best accuracy  ;)

we'll learn you yet

haha thanks.  That's something else i need to get into...reloading.  So much to learn! haha

haha thanks.  That's something else i need to get into...reloading.  So much to learn! haha

me too, but that means i have to stop on a build i have going and my 1911 plans, and finishing off the goodies i want for my existing rifles. got any money i can borrow?? <laughs> :cookoo:

nevermind, your gonna need it, i have a ton of ot coming so i'll be ok, maybe

me too, but that means i have to stop on a build i have going and my 1911 plans, and finishing off the goodies i want for my existing rifles. got any money i can borrow?? <laughs> :cookoo:

nevermind, your gonna need it, i have a ton of ot coming so i'll be ok, maybe

haha after i'm done with med school i'm sure i'll have some to spare lol.  That's another thing i have as a side project as well...getting the slide machined down for a red dot sight on my m and p. Handgun is probably more important but guns are like women, it's hard to pick one and stay with it haha

Are you using their upper as well or a different upper?  Can you link me to your thread as well?

I want to use their upper, now that I saw it came out. I bought a DPMS stripped upper from a guy on another board, which is what kind of sparked this whole project, but I think I was a little hasty on that decision. Its very nice, but I really like the one TM offers. Hopefully I can get mine sold soon so I can off set the price on the TM one.

Here's a link to my build thread. Its not as extensive as yours, more like an into and parts list.

http://308ar.com/forum/building-a-308ar/new-guy-with-a-build-in-the-works!/new/#new

o wow i love that socom!  I almost did that instead of this...i was considering a socom or a beowulf AR but ammo expense and availability turned me away.  Are you happy with the tm-10 lower? I just found a DPMS lower that is around the same price and was thinking of changing my order.

I really like the TM lower, so much that I want to get their upper to match. It has a billet-ish look to it due to their machining, and the finish is awesome. Its smooth like glass, but matte. You know how some AR uppers and lowers feel slightly abrasive, and will show a mark when you run your nail over it (but wipes right off) Thats not the case with this lower. I just put the fulton lpk in it with no real issues. The only minor hiccup was the bolt catch. I had to take the square corner to the grinder and round it slightly because it was rubbing on the inside bottom corner of the slot it rides in (opposite of the pin that holds it in) I don't know if fulton is to blame or TM, but its fixed now so I'm fine with it. I posted pics in my thread of it assembled if you want to take a look.

just took a look at the compensator i intended on getting and it says it's a flash suppressor compensator...we can't have flash supressors in MA so i'm guessing that's out.  Can anyone recommend a good compensator for reducing recoil? Having only shot .223 ar's which have almost no recoil, i'm expecting the .308 to be a decent amount more.