• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 noob questions...sorry in advance

6shootr

So as the title says, i am new to the .308 ar platform world.  I own a few normal ar's but nothing other then the .223 cal.  I've recently been toying with the idea of a .308 ar combat/sniper rifle.  I've done some re-search and searched on here a bit but figured i'd ask some questions.  I'm looking at a gas piston gun for the fact that i was told they are better if you intend on adding suppressors.  Although i won't be doing that anytime soon, i'd like that option open for the future.  Second is the prices of a lot of the .308 ar platform rifles especially the gas guns are through the roof right now and everyone makes their own parts that aren't interchangeable between guns.  I'm looking into building my own .308 rifle whether GAS or DI and was wondering of the general cost that i would be looking at.  I looked at the DPMS gas .308 which is around $1300 and was wondering if i could build something better/lighter with various parts or if i'm just better off buying that off the shelf.  Again i am a noob to .308 ar platform guns so if there is another thread that i missed that answers this i apologize and please direct me to it.  Thanks in advance.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Welcome to the site

2. All questions are welcome.

3. I own both a direct impingement and a gas piston ar308 (larue obr 20" and a 14.5"Pws mk214)

To answer the question which is better is like asking why a Chevy not a Ford. Arguments can be made for both, so I say just buy American! As far as I have heard, there is no definite reason one is better than the other, although there are many claims.

Now for the answer to the best question you asked. Building one will allow you to get exactly what you want. Yes, it will cost more. No,its not that difficult. You will end up with exactly what you picture you're rifle to be.

Pro's to building are you don't have to get it all at once, you get exactly what you want, buy once cry once.

Con's are it's more expensive usually because you most likely won't cheap out, you will buy better parts off the shelf costing more, and may go through a period of waiting for parts.

I think its "Cheaper" to get the dpms at first, but if you start changing things out, say the stock, trigger, handguard, now you are into build price range.

Choice is always yours,  I think you'll here many opinions on this, and would say think of what you want in the end and go for it.

thanks for the reply.  If i did get the dpms, i would without a doubt be adding a quad rail but not sure about the trigger or the stock.  The trigger on my .223 dpms seems fine, but then again i haven't shot too many other ar's, at least not custom built ones anyway.  My end goal is to basically have a battle rifle that i could use like a .223 but also reach out and touch at the distances as well.  I'm almost positive i don't want the 20 inch barrel; but would the accuracy of a 16 inch be a lot worse then a 20 inch at say 400 yards? decisions decisions

At 400 yds a 16" is more than enough, but not to 700 and beyond. I can hit 6" plates at 300 with my Pws and and it has an eotech, so I have no reason to believe it can't go 400. But the farther you go, the longer barrel will give more velocity and stabilization to you're projectile. The happiest medium is an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas port.

By the way, a trigger is the first mod I would do for accuracy,imho.

well i think i'll go with the 18 inch barrel.  2 inches shouldn't be too much extra to make the length feel all that much bigger. Any idea how much over $1300 an average build would cost?  I know that's kind of like saying how much would a corvette cost...well is it a base model or a zr1.  could anyone maybe lead me to a prior thread of someone who did a build with prices?  Also i guess weight is an issue with these so is there a thread with someone who also watched the weight as well?

i just found a recent post of someone who was building a light weight .308 ar rifle and i stopped 3/4 of the way up when i hit the $1600 mark.  The best bet for me may just be buying an off the shelf DPMS and upgrading a few things as i go.

Inquire about the Armalite AR-10A carbines, should be in your price range too

I built mine and it's about $2200 with scope and mount.  I went with a TM10 lower, DPMS upper receiver and BCG.  Then I made sure I got the barrel I wanted and picked my parts carefully to were I can buy "cheaper" parts that I can upgrade later - mainly the hand guard, flash hider and stuck with the stock trigger. These will be upgraded in the future. 

You can always buy a 18" upper or rifle and upgrade later. 

I think what i'm going to do is either go for an armalite or a DPMS in .308.  Not sure if i'm sold on an 18 inch barrel yet or if i want bigger.  Does anyone recommended a certain barrel that would be better then the stock DPMS one? And if/what is better, what's the reason?  Is it more accurate by a large margin or just by a little?

If you go with a DPMS platform, I would easily suggest getting a Rainier Arms barrel, either their select or match.  It's much lighter than a DPMS bull barrel but still accurate.  Many people, that I've read, are able to get close to MOA on the Select barrel and sub-MOA with the ultra match barrel.  My best 5 shot group on my select barrel was pretty close to MOA but I'm not a great shooter, it outshoots me right now.

A "standard" DPMS is far from insufficient. A target DPMS barrel will shoot a MOA or better.

Aftermarket barrels can increase accuracy, but only if the shooter is capable. If you can't shoot MOA with a DPMS barrel, upgrading it wont make you a better shot.

A Rainier Select barrel wouldn't be considered an upgrade. If you are a professional shooter, and you want a barrel that will maximize your skills, expect a $400-$1k price tag on a stainless barrel.

thanks for the info so far everyone.  I'm positive the gun will outshoot me at the beginning as i don't have any practice shooting much over 200 yards so i'll hold off on an aftermarket barrel until i feel i've reversed that problem.  I'm sold on getting a DPMS and calling it a day then...only thing i'm contemplating now is getting a LR308 or getting a carbine model.  I'm thinking an 18 or 20 inch barrel now; in MA our stocks are pinned , and on my .223 it is all the way out from the factory and pinned (DPMS).  If i re-pin the stock on a .308 in the shortest position the length won't be much more anyway.    Can you change compensator/ flash hiders easily on the LR.308?  reason i ask is someone recommended a PWS and said it gave the gun the recoil of a .223 ar. any truth to this?

I just went on the DPMS website and "built" an LR-308B with the 18 inch barrel.  with all this stuff below it ended up around $1600.  Anyone suggest not doing any of those upgrades and getting something aftermarket instead? How much lighter would an aftermarket barrel be compared to the stock dpms one?

Panther™ LR-308B

Model: RFLR-308B

$1,189.00

Barrel Threading **Must choose a comp/flash hider after build process**

Model: UG-THREAD

$50.00

Current .308 BoltCarrier to: Chrome .308 BoltCarrier

Model: UG-308CBC

$50.00

Standard Safety Selector to: Ambi Safety Selector

Model: UG-87

$35.95

Current Trigger to: JP Adjustable Trigger

Model: UG-69

$129.95

Current 308 Smooth Side Upper Receiver to the A3-Style Upper Receiver

Model: UG-308A3

$79.95

10 Round Steel Magazine LR308 Rifles

Model: MA-3081

please do not order from DPMS as you will wait an eternity. Find one on the shelf close to what you want and go from there.

+1 you seem to have your mind set on dpms and that's fine but AR's & AR parts are selling like crazy right now so IMO you should keep your options open, search/call a few places to find out the wait times....than double what they tell you <laughs>  http://308ar.com/forum/308-ar-manufacturers/

o no i know.  i'm in no rush.  I just did that so i could relay that info to my local gun store when i go in tomorrow and see if they could order the setup that i want.  Only reason i'm saying DPMS is because it's the closest to my budget that i have found.  Everything else seems to be around $2500.  Someone said armalite...any other brands that would be in that price range and quality?

o no i know.  i'm in no rush.  I just did that so i could relay that info to my local gun store when i go in tomorrow and see if they could order the setup that i want.  Only reason i'm saying DPMS is because it's the closest to my budget that i have found.  Everything else seems to be around $2500.  Someone said armalite...any other brands that would be in that price range and quality?

Yes, check out this CMMG > http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/Mk3-18-Stainless-Steel-308-Rifle-1807 and look on gunbroker.com <thumbsup>

Where in Massachusetts are you? I'm in Westfield and have some good sources on things and an awesome ffl. If you in eastern mass I have bought from four seasons several times

Eastern Ma, right near four seasons...that's my local dealer.  Bought my .223 from there as well as most everything else.  if you could i'd appreciate that a bunch!

I'm looking at a gas piston gun for the fact that i was told they are better if you intend on adding suppressors.  Although i won't be doing that anytime soon, i'd like that option open for the future. 

Sorry man, saw this again and realized something, we can't have those here. But on the bright side you just save a grand!  8)