• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 noob questions...sorry in advance

6shootr

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe that's the same thing haha but thanks!  I know i'm going with the FA criterion 18.5 inch but still undecided if i should get the lighter chrome lined one or the slightly heavier one...all said and done with the black and threaded barrel it is only 15 dollars more for the lighter one but if it would increase the vibrations i'm not sure it'd be the right decision.  Any thoughts?

believe that's the same thing haha but thanks!  I know i'm going with the FA criterion 18.5 inch but still undecided if i should get the lighter chrome lined one or the slightly heavier one...all said and done with the black and threaded barrel it is only 15 dollars more for the lighter one but if it would increase the vibrations i'm not sure it'd be the right decision.  Any thoughts?

Well I prefer the HB of the two . If you look at the weight difference , its not much at all & the SS HB , IMO ,will shoot better.

They will both shoot just fine.

From my understanding, its kind of a crap shoot for accuracy with chrome lining. I know that if there's imperfections in the chrome, it can cause accuracy issues since the chrome won't smooth out at any reasonable rate. With the stainless barrel I'm getting, if I get good accuracy out of it, I'm going to send it out for melonite. That process hardens the surface without changing the bore dimensionally, meaning it will be an accurate barrel for longer.

O nice.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  I'm looking at the Fulton Armory criterion 18.5" match threaded barrels...still unsure if i'm going with the lighter chrome lined one or the .5lbs heavier.  Stainless steel or not is still going through my mind.  I figured i'd give the company a call when i'm ready to buy it and get their opinion to.  Sucks because i need to buy the compensator and bolt carrier group first and send it to them before i get the barrel cause i need the comp pinned, probably the gas block and barrel nut on their first to because i doubt i could get that stuff over the compensator and i also have to have the bolt and the barrel headspaced...who knows how much that costs to.

well got my lower...now gonna order a lower parts kit and a stock/buffer tube.  Anyone recommended any stocks? I like the magpull stock but i found a MAKO (recoil reducing stock) while recently searching that doesn't seem bad.  Anyone have any experience with them?  I've never shot a semi auto .308 so i'm wondering how recoil is on these guns...anyone wanna chime in? AND does anyone reccomened a buffer tube?  I'd like to go milspec if i could...does the stock LR308 have a mil or commercial buffer tube assy?