• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS .308-AR 15 Compatable Parts?

Hi,

I have my DPMS .308 lower and I'm looking at lower parts kits,triggers,stocks,ect. Being new to the AR-type rifle in general I'm wondering about parts crossover on this receiver for triggers and the grip especially. Is there a list of what is usable on this receiver from the AR-15 rifle? I keep seeing small pin,big pin on the triggers??? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Trigger pin size is a Colt AR-15 issue, not relevant on the .308. Fulton Armory has a .308 lower parts kit for the DPMS. You can get it in two flavors. One includes a trigger and the other does not. Thats the easiest and pretty cost effective way to get exactly what you need. I typically skip the trigger because I always get an aftermarket. Stocks are mostly the same with a few exceptions like the Magpul PRS. The buffers and springs are 308 specific as well as rifle/carbine specific. Most AR-15 triggers will work however some have issues with the hammer interfering with the bolt carrier group. I buy .308 specific triggers. We discuss them in a few other places at the site.

Mostly it will be easier to discuss what you want and work it from there

Hi imschur,

Thanks for the info. What about the grip on a DPMS lower? I know a grip comes with the lower kit,but what if you want something different? What I want to build is the rifle with a Magpul PRS with the 1 inch extender and a DPMS 308 BA-20 upper with or with out the carry handle. Carry handle comes with the upper. I was going to build my own upper with a custom barrel but the cost of the bolt group,plus barrel plus upper plus hand guard really puts it up there and I have seen the BA-20 upper for under $600 on the Internet! I heard DPMS is using Wilson blanhs for their barrels but they seem to be accurate! Thanks again!

Thanks Gentlemen,

Any thoughts on the DPMS barrels? Am I better off just getting the DPMS upper,rather than making my own or is it better to go with another barrel and spend a little more money. Any favorite barrel or upper makers? Whats the story on the A3 upper forward assist? I see bolt carriers by JP but no forward assist notch cuts??? Any ideas on this? Thanks!

Thanks Gentlemen,

Any thoughts on the DPMS barrels? Am I better off just getting the DPMS upper,rather than making my own or is it better to go with another barrel and spend a little more money. Any favorite barrel or upper makers? Whats the story on the A3 upper forward assist? I see bolt carriers by JP but no forward assist notch cuts??? Any ideas on this? Thanks!

My factory DPMS barrel is very satisfactory and excellent with regard to performance. I'm going to buy an aftermarket barrel for my next .308 build, simply because I'd like to try some of the offerings out there for the sake of comparison, and knowing what I'll want when it's time to replace my DPMS barrel on my current rifle. So far I have no idea of where to begin, because I'm not hearing anything bad about anybody's aftermarket barrel.... Hopefully this thread can shed a little light on the subject.

Whats the story on the A3 upper forward assist? I see bolt carriers by JP but no forward assist notch cuts??? Any ideas on this? Thanks!

Fully functional, even though it looks like it won't do anything.  The bolt is going to ram home on almost anything, and if it doesn't fully close, it'll be at the very last few millimeters of travel (unless you've got a serious problem or stoppage).  The forward assist catches the shoulder machined in the bolt carrier, and fully seats the bolt.  You can see the machining in the pic below - that area where the bolt carrier is smaller, then gets larger.  The forward assist catches that and seats the bolt in the barrel extension.  Again, unless there's something else going on.  You can't "walk it in" like you can with the notches on an AR-15 carrier.

308-Bolt-Carrier-and-Bolt-Assembly-DPMS-308-BCA.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=243.0;attach=419;image

Hi,

Thanks for the pic 98,nice of you. I have a couple of friends that are professional gunsmiths,professional meaning it is what they do to put food on the table. When I mentioned this build they both looked at me and said ,"Don't you have M-14's and FALs already?" I said yes. They thought that those were better platforms for the 7.62/.308 cartridge than an AR-20 type rifle,but it seems like alot of people are crazy for these DPMS-308's!!!

Thanks for the info!

Hi,

Thanks for the pic 98,nice of you. I have a couple of friends that are professional gunsmiths,professional meaning it is what they do to put food on the table. When I mentioned this build they both looked at me and said ,"Don't you have M-14's and FALs already?" I said yes. They thought that those were better platforms for the 7.62/.308 cartridge than an AR-20 type rifle,but it seems like alot of people are crazy for these DPMS-308's!!!

Thanks for the info!

I kinda had to smile at your gunsmithing buddies telling you that. I'd be very curious to know what qualifies their statements with regard to the AR (in .308) being an inferior platform to the FAL and M-14. Given that our military could easily keep the M-14 as an issue weapon, and FALs are not in short supply, it's strange that they would go ahead and give KAC the contract for the M110 anyways, being that it is an inferior platform and all.  <dontknow>

For the record, I don't have anything against those platforms, nor do I regard them as being better or worse. I simply know the reputation that all three weapons hold with men much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself and it doesn't follow what your friends are telling you. If I were making my bread and butter as a gunsmith however, I might have a little different perspective on the issue. Either way, you will soon be in a position to decide for yourself which is the better, but please do it without letting their opinions skew your objectivity.

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

Well your gunsmiths left some thing out of that equation , the DI gas system on AR's is fool proof for the most part . No special tools to time the bolt & operating rod ,not to mention the piston part of the Operating rod that has to be fitted properly.

Of course that's how gunsmiths make there bread & butter . You can build an AR 308 with very few special tools & fitting .

The FN & M14 type rifles are great rifles & the FN is well battle proved ,but its there adaptability that's leaves them behind comparing with the AR 308 type rifles .

"seagiant, any pistol grip that will work on any AR-15 will work on your DPMS 308 lower.  <thumbsup>"

Close but not quite...The Magpul MOE will not work on a LR308. I am not sure about the MIAD but the relief cuts on the MOE are positioned so that they do not put the needed pressure on the take down pin detent spring.  Unlike most AR type rifles where that detent and spring are held in place by the butt stock the LR308 puts the detent and spring through the bottom of the receiver and holds them in place with the pistol grip along with the selector detent and spring. I can tell you the CAA pistol grip will work as will the Tangodown. The Tangodown Dark Earth  Dark Earth color matches the Magpul dark earth color perfectly.

I learned all of this when I tried to put all Magpul parts and accessories on my newest LR308.

"seagiant, any pistol grip that will work on any AR-15 will work on your DPMS 308 lower.  <thumbsup>"

Close but not quite...The Magpul MOE will not work on a LR308. I am not sure about the MIAD but the relief cuts on the MOE are positioned so that they do not put the needed pressure on the take down pin detent spring.  Unlike most AR type rifles where that detent and spring are held in place by the butt stock the LR308 puts the detent and spring through the bottom of the receiver and holds them in place with the pistol grip along with the selector detent and spring. I can tell you the CAA pistol grip will work as will the Tangodown. The Tangodown Dark Earth  Dark Earth color matches the Magpul dark earth color perfectly.

I learned all of this when I tried to put all Magpul parts and accessories on my newest LR308.

You should have registered here before you tried to put the Magpul parts on your newest LR308 - here's a pic of my lower, with a MIAD:

LR30808.jpg

You can put any grip made for an AR-15 onto a DPMS 308 lower - probably any other 308 lower.  <thumbsup>

Here's a thread from the DPMS Technical section here, outlining the mod:

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/topic,74.0.html

Well for that matter I could build up the grip with JB weld and make it work.

I should have specified that there is always a way to make something work and the information I was relaying pertained to opening a box and screwing on a grip without and modifications or extra parts to make it work.

I must be tired...If I sound like a smartA$$ it's not intentional.

No worries, man - no JB Weld and that mess, either.  Little tap and a set screw to hold the spring in - many of us do that to all our ARs for the rear takedown pin, be it 15s or 308s.  All 5 of mine are done, and so will the 6th, in a few more weeks.  <thumbsup>

Hi,

Well I have gone ahead and bought a DPMS lower parts kit from Brownell and got the complete kit. Also got 2 Magpul Pmags so I can check how those fit. I have Powers seris 1 and 2 trigger,hammer jigs and thought I would play with the factory trigger before going to an after market. It also has a grip I'm going to try so I will see pretty soon what everyone is talking about! Right now I;m trying to learn about this platform, thanks everyone for the help!