• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

new texan here

filthy phil

i signed up hoping you good folks would help me put together a quality .308 ar.

i've had a couple colt 223's and a springfield pos .308 and that's the extent of my rifles.

i want a 20" bbl fwd assist dust cover upper but can't decide on a lower.

have heard different things about dpms and armalite lowers on sites like m4carbine.net. i really dont wanna dump a bunch of $ into a pos. been there done that with the springfield 91 copy

currently own just 3 g3 glocks: 17, 20, 26.

plan to get a dillon 550 to reload.

any unbiased info will be appreciated

Welcome fellow Texan!!

I'm sure you will find the info you need here.

What range do you use mostly?

went to spring guns & ammo on spring cypress last. they promptly warned me for rapid fire violation hehe.

need to get back to one of the stinkadena ranges: marksman or pasadena fun center, where i can let er rip.

maybe marksman next wknd as i'll likely get an 870 out of layaway and can try that out there.

hopefully the following wknd i can get a .308 lower and get this project rolling.

a shop off 45s has some for $250. stripped lower. that a deal or no?

thx

Welcome! The .308 is a great choice. You mainly have to decide if you want a plinker, a combat piece or a long range bell ringer. Plinkers can be built for around $1000. The other two are limitless on their price ceiling.

If you want the Armalite, I suggest the newest model they just released. It accepts the vastly inexpensive Magpul LR20 magazine. Although any Armalite is of quality design. DPMS has a bit more availability for parts, and those parts generally run a little bit cheaper. All the hogwash about DPMS problems can usually be pointed back at the builder. Either route you have the beginnings of a very decent rifle.

As for the stripped receiver you found for $250. I say that's a fair price to get started. If you can stay around $500 for a complete receiver set, you off to a good start.

Check out our FOR SALE page too. Plenty of guys off loading gear here for decent prices.

• 2 weeks later...