• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Who Loads Heavies?

planeflyer21

Alright then, from reading here it looks like the AR308 may be fun to do some experimenting with handloads.

Anybody messed around with heavy loads < 200gr in .308?  I was looking at reviews on heavies on MidwayUSA...some look like they have some pretty impressive performance on game out to 500-600 yards.

The roundnose 220gr and semi-spitzer 220gr look like they would be fun to play with.  They even have a 240gr by Woodleigh!

Jon

Nobody?

Looking at some of the reviews online, some people claim to have used them with good results in 308AR type rifles.

<ssiiiiiiggghhhhh>

This looks like a job for Planeflyer21 and the Rock River Twins, Liberty and Freedom Machine!

"Wonder twin powers...ACTIVATE!  Form of a carbine!"

"Form of a rifle!"

Looks like we need to get our hands on those pills!

Jon

I honestly haven't fired anything heavier than a 150gr round yet.  I have some 180gr rounds loaded to find out how much powder works best but haven't even been to the range to shoot those yet.  I was hoping someone was going to respond to this so I could see what they had to say  :p

I honestly haven't fired anything heavier than a 150gr round yet.  I have some 180gr rounds loaded to find out how much powder works best but haven't even been to the range to shoot those yet.  I was hoping someone was going to respond to this so I could see what they had to say  :p

Me too mantawolf!

I saw elsewhere on 308AR that the DI system is much more forgiving to force than an op-rod gas system, ala M14/M1A.  Load data for those rifles was so very specific it didn't seem worth while to experiment.

Lacking a .358 Winchester upper for launching husky heavies, this is the more affordable route to play with.

For now.

Until I plop down for the .358 upper.

It never stops...

Jon

I only shoot target and the only range I have reasonable access to  is limited to 100 yards.  I load bullets in the 160 to 190+ range.  At 100 yards there is no significant difference in group size or aim point.  That is,  my own talents are not sufficient to see a difference.  I have noted that on a good day with comparison shooting of my handloads and factory loadings of similar bullets,  1.e.,  same weight and same nominal design as in HPBT or Spitzer BT,  my conservative handloads tend to print 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches lower on target than factory.

Most of the literature within the internet and in magazine articles that I can recall says that the 190+ bullet weight should be considered maximum for the 308 Win.  Pressures can easily reach maximums within the action at these bullet weights and wear and tear within the throats and bores are at maximum levels.  Thirty caliber bullets at and above 200 grains are appropriate for larger capacity chamberings,  30-06 for the low 200's,  the bigger magnums for the heavier bullets. 

I like heavier bullets but consider that for my own collection of 308 Win rifles,  I will limit myself to 160+,  up to about 180/185 grain,  preferably HPBT and Spitzer (often plastic tips) BT.  I have some boxes of square-base spitzers and soft-point,  also,  but all within the 160 - 170+ range.  And one box of 190 grain bullets just for experimenting.

All that said,  I am on hold with this caliber because of the lawsuit at my shooting range.

So far the heaviest were some Federal 180gr JSPs out of the Freedom Machine, which the rifle liked more than the lighter 147gr FMJs.

I've found some reference to heavier pills out of .308 and claims that pressures were within limits.  Nothing yet about over pressure rounds.

Something about the heavies...and bigger holes too.

A friend of mine was experimenting a few years ago with .45acp and 300gr bullets.  Said he found a couple of ideal powder loads and he would dig them up for me to try.

We'll see what they look like first.

Jon