• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mid length gas system

I assembled & fired my first mid gas system AR -15 & my first 1-7 twist barreled rifle the other day . I must admit ,I will not build another carbine gas system for myself , this rifle was built for a friend to his spec's ,but the mid gas system & H2 buffer was of course my idea.

The worst that would happen is that I wouldn't like it & he would be stuck with it  <lmao>, but I'm sold . The mid gas system & a Spike's H2 buffer & what a dream to shoot .

I'm waiting for him to come over & go to the range right now & let him fire his rifle.

I assembled & fired my first mid gas system AR -15 & my first 1-7 twist barreled rifle the other day . I must admit ,I will not build another carbine gas system for myself , this rifle was built for a friend to his spec's ,but the mid gas system & H2 buffer was of course my idea.

The worst that would happen is that I wouldn't like it & he would be stuck with it  <lmao>, but I'm sold . The mid gas system & a Spike's H2 buffer & what a dream to shoot .

I'm waiting for him to come over & go to the range right now & let him fire his rifle.

Survival.....Yep got several midgas systems in my 6.8' and other ar's...one 6.8 has exactly what you have described....sweet huh? <thumbsup>  all my 308's are middy too..a couple have the tubbs flatwire spring...I dunno why just cause <laughs>  every build for friends and family is always middy...never a hiccup <thumbsup>Wash

Mine is a mid carbine, but it's the only AR anything I have ever shot, besides a 450 Bushmaster. But with the Slash's Car 10-XH it is very smooth and comfortable shooting off hand. But with no comp on the end and shooting prone or on the bench with the bipod the muzzle jumps more than I like. Oh but I shot an SR25 from the bench and bipod. That one is HEAVY with a 24" bull barrel no threads, doesn't jump as much if I remember right.

[move] :P :P  WE TOLD YOU SO :P :P [/move]

<lmao> <laughs> <lmao> <laughs>

I love my 14.5" mid length system! Now you are hooked for life too!!

This goes back to my theory that you really should attempt to fit the longest possible gas system your barrel will allow. We all know that the gas moves exponentially faster than the bullets, otherwise there would be no BOOM. As long as the hole under the gas block is large enough, the gun should be able to handle it. Compare the size of the gas hole in the barrel to the inner diameter to the gas tube... That is a considerable size difference. The gas tube can take a LOT more gas than most barrels will release.

ALL gas tubes, from CAR to Rifle, are shorter than the distance the powder requires for a complete burn. The fact that burnt carbon builds in our gas tubes is further proof that the powder is continuing to burn inside the gas tube. This equates to continuously expanding gases inside the gas tube. There is a lot more force inside those itty-bitty bullets than people are lead to believe.

The only time I ever plan on a carbine gas tube ever again, is if I build a 10" SBR. Anything 16" or longer gets a Rifle length gas system.