• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

POF 308 Scope Mounting/Boresighting

Hello all,

I have a POF 308 20".  I ordered and received a Leupold MARK AR 3x9 40mm scope, and a DNZ freedom reaper medium height piccatiny rail mount.

Being my first AR, so maybe a dumb question but here goes...

I have mounted and boresighted many rifles.  I have a Leupold zero point boresighter....but cannot seem to get it to work on this rifle...

I seperated the upper and lower, and went old school....picked an object while upper was held stationary.  Then moved scope to match the item I was sighted on through the barrel.

My scope is bottomed out now on the "up"  elevation adjustment....and still seems to be a little high.

Is this normal?  Distance from center of barrel to center of scope is about 2.75 inches. 

I have plenty of "down" adjustment in scope left.....I hope it will be alright...

Won't know till I get a chance to get to the range....maybe next weekend.

Thoughts?

I hope the medium mounts were correct....just leaves me enough room to clear front picattiny rail....

R/

Chris

That is too close.  The closer you are to your target, more adjustment is needed to get lined up. At ten feet you are beating a dead horse.

Adjusting a new scope at 25 yards, I've had to go as many as 27 clicks on a 1/4moa elevation adjustment to move a couple of inches.

Give yourself some distance first.  If that doesn't work we'll talk about other corrections.

Jon

It could be parallax......

I started it at say 15 yards....out off my deck.  Lined bore up with a light on my shed.....same deal....few inches high....and maxed out on elevation adjustment.

I have had awesome luck with the Leupold zero point.....and could not even make out the target on the zero point....

Will make a few calls tomorrow.....to DNZ, Leupold and POF....

Need to figure this out....never have I been this maxed on elevation...

Once...on a Browning BAR Grade2, I had issues similar to this....givin the BAR's high hump back....played hell trying to get the scope to boresight....

Was able to get it dialed in....

Would a low mount work?  40mm objective...

R/

Chris

Don't know if this helps but on Redfields I centered reticle went max in one direction then max the other direction counted clicks divided in half set.Did both elevation and windage the same.Went 25yrds. set 2" above bulls then 100 yrd.But you probably did that also. <dontknow>

OK all...

I know how to factory center a scope...2 ways, count clicks, or use a mirror on front objective and align crosshairs....tip I got from Leupold a few years back.

Back to topic..

I am not at the range....have yet to shoot it, I am boresighting...

Due to muzzle brake, my leupold zero point boresighter will not sit properly on muzzle brake.  So went old school.

But I was doing it in my house at say 8 feet....took upper off, removed bolt and charging handle....looked down barrel at a fixed object and moved crosshairs to meet object in barrel.  Ran out of UP elevation...

Someone mentioned parallax?  I am not too up on that....but could not sleep (as on the facebook forum someone mentioned possible barrel sag/elevation issue?)

Anyways, went back on deck and aimed barrel at a fixed object at 20 yards.....I was able to move crosshairs down on scope about 12 clicks or so...

It is lining up now.

Does the distance make that big of a difference when old school boresighting? 

Everything appears to line up, and I hope to be high at 40 yards or so when I try to get on paper at the range next weekend.  Then I will be ecstatic.

I appreciate the replies.  I am hoping I am just a dum ass....trying to get it in at 7 feet.

Does this makes sense to you all?

For instance....if you were to remove your uppers...on a sighted in weapon...and look at an object thru the bore at say six feet or so....would your crosshairs in the scope be a few inches high?

Probably a real dumb question....just looking for some clarification.

Thanks all!

Chris

10 ft. is WAY too close! I do the same as you, but bore sight at an object 50 yards away (local newspaper office! <lmao>) and have always been close enough to be on paper at 100 yards when I get to the range. At 10 ft. I'm not surprised you ran out of adjustment!

;D

OK....Progress. Appears I was not that far off....Shop here has a laser boresite, and some computer software. Software was a 1st for me, they took the caliber (.308) and entered that in the computer. Then measured from center of scope to center of barrell (2 3/4") and entered that. Target was a 125 yard target....as lowest distance it would go/print for .308. Then it printed a target on a piece of paper...Large crosshairs, and then about 6 to 7 inches below a small circle. Dude posted that on wall 10 yards away.....got laser from barrel centered in small circle......then we dialed scope to match crosshairs. Evidently that will have me on paper and close at 100 yards....Dude swears by it....We shall see...I feel much better. I am used to normal bolt action rifles and break actions where the distance from scope center to barrel center is normally one inch or so. I am confident it will be just fine now, and I have over 15 clicks left for UP elevation....Now I cannot wait to shoot it! Dude at gun shop was drooling over the POF 308! <thumbsup>

Thanks!  The easy part is done...LOL

Next comes my part on the target.  I am very excited!

My wife is getting pissed....says the barrel is cold on her legs at night when we sleep...hell it is summer time...what is she complaining about? LOL

<lmao> <lmao> Now I have to clean Dr. Pepper off the keyboard

• 3 weeks later...

Would be interested to see if the setup works for you. I am having same problem with my P308, GG&G mount and a Viper PST 6x24. On the range at 25 yards could not hit paper until I adjusted to 52 MOA above bottom of travel, only have another 12 MOA left. It groups great at 100 yards and I can get out to 300 but dont have much more room left. I am sure I could change to a 20MOA mount and help the problem but I would like to figure out where the real problem is. Changed the scope and mount the other day and still looks like it is somewhere in the upper or barrel since I still have the same problem.