• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

YHM locknut wrench

392heminut

Anybody here have the wrench for the Yankee Hill Machine AR15 free float tube locknut that they wouldn't mind loaning out? Just picked up a YHM Smooth FFT for my AR15 and that lockring looks like something I could really booger up quick without the right tool! :o  <lmao>

Thanks Johnny, sounds like a good idea. I've got a couple of square aluminum punches that Dawson Precision sends with their dovetail pistol sights that should work good for that.

I would shy away from Aluminum or brass - they will deform the material and leave unsightly marks. Stick with nylon or Phenolic....

Well, I got it done! Got everything assembled and lined up and used one of the aluminum front sight drifts from Dawson. I used it on the bottom notch so if it marred the aluminum collar it wouldn't be so noticeable. I guess the drift is a softer aluminum than the lock ring, as it worked just fine and didn't leave any marks. I also put a couple of drops of the purple Locktite on the collar threads that YHM sent to use on the front endcap. I don't think the collar will go anywhere. Thanks for the responses guys! <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...

That lockring is the same one that Midwest Industries uses, and it's a very solid steel composition.  I use a drift and hammer on them, and none have been deformed in any way.  Sometimes they get the "black" taken off them, but that's what a Birchwood Casey Alumablack pen is for.