• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

going to give it a try ... 12 gauge first

telluwhat

Well being I am getting this nice new shotgun I want to do a lot of shooting. So I am going to start loading my own. Once I get decent with it I want to move on to pistol rounds and then lastly to my 308. I have been watching a lot of you tube (lots of crap on there) and finding some gems and I have ordered several catalogues, one of which is from Lee. They have a special set up just for shotgun shells. I learned more in one day then I imagined I would. So I have a lot of learning to do and many questions too. Right off I want to know if there is a press that does shotgun, pistol and rifle and if so do I even want to go that route? For the shotgun I am thinking of casting my own shot just to save even more $. While this may be OK for the pistols too I doubt it for the 308. I would like to know what you guys think before I go crazy ordering stuff. It is likely to be several weeks before I even get my new shotgun and nothing is happening before then and part of me want to get it broken in with factory ammo first.

Good job telluwhat!

Short answer is no.  You will need one for shotgun separately.  You can do rifle and pistol on the same press.

I like the Lee presses for rifle and pistol and have mostly their dies also.  Had an issue with .30-30 RCBS dies, though some swear by them.

If I were going to start from scratch today I would get set up with a Lee Turret press.  A single stage is hard to beat also.  I know a dude that has a documented 700,000+ rounds on a Lee Turret Press, so don't think they won't hold up to what you're doing.

Shotgunners all swear by MEC shell reloaders.  The Lee looks chinsy and the others are darned expensive.  I need to get setup for shotgun loading also.

Jon

Wow that Dillon SL900 is sure pricey. I don't think I could even afford to dream about that. LOL The MEC 600jr is more down my alley or even a Lee that fits in a shoe box. I know if I got the MEC I could afford to shoot a lot more than I could other wise. Especially if I got a small 10 pound smelter and a mold or three to make my own shot. Could cast pistol rounds then too just so I could have some fun shooting up paper. Keep the factory stuff for the "I hope I never need to use it mags".

• 1 month later...

Well I finally ordered myself a MEC 600 Jr Mark V for 12 gauge. I also ordered enough supplies for 100 shells of buckshot. I did order extra powder being I had to pay a special handling fee to UPS. I guess they don't want the driver to get himself hurt or something. Only thing I know for certain I forgot is some extra primers. The 100 hulls are coming with primers in them so at least I have that. So I guess I get to go shopping again :-)