• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pact scale & Lee factory crimp

survivalshop

I got some new toys the other day , a Pact electronic scale & factory crimp dies for .223 & 308 , to try out .

The Pact scale is nice, but my cheap battery operated pocket scale was only off by 1-2 tenths of a grain, didn't even try the RCBS 10-10 scale , its thirty years old & I didn't want to embarrass it .

I loaded a couple hundred .223 last night & the crimp die seems to work & absolutely no case set back , which I was impressed with . The Hornady 55 gr. FMJs  were crimped & I did not have the case mouth far enough in the middle of the crimp groove to have it seated into it , but you can tell it did crimp it  pretty good.

I would not use these on my match bullets ,because I do not want to disfigure them in any way , Though it may not make a difference & I may test this to see .

I have a couple of K of a solid copper bullets for both 308 (169 gr.) &  .223 ( ( close to 60 gr. ) , these bullets are on the small dia side , being .3075" for the 308's & .2225" for the .223 bullets . I have bushing dies for more neck tension ,but I still like to crimp them more securely than my taper crimp die's. This may be the ticket.

Any one using the Lee factory crimp dies  & what do you think of them ?

I bought the Lee crimp die for 300BLK and loaded a couple hundred a ran them through the die. I think I posted something on it. I was impressed with the design, and found it easy to adjust. I have to admit that I have not tested any of the rds that I crimped, so don't know how it affected accuracy, (if at all) I bought it because I have my 300 loads with the case loaded full of powder, and the bullet seated as shallow as possible, and I had some concerns of bullet setback causing an over pressure condition due to the compressed load, but so far have had no problems, so the crimp die will just be for added insurance.

By the way, where did you get the 169gr copper .308 bullets, sounds like it might be a good setup. How do you find their accuracy to be vs a copper jacketed bullet?

I have 7 Lee FCD's and they work great. The trick to these is to do a light crimp and DO NOT put a hard crimp on the neck. An over pressure situation would be the only draw back to using the FCD. I put a light crimp on the rifle rounds so there is no set back because of movement in the magazine or during chambering.

I've had them for quite a while ,like my stepped boat tail 170 gr. 308 bullets that I only have about a hundred left. I will take some photos of both bullets, they are different & both shoot very well.

I got the solid copper or it may be a gliding metal composure , from a buddy of mine at hunt camp , not sure who made them or where they came from , they were free bullets .

When you say solid copper brother survival,are they eally solid copper? Given the price of copper they must be very expensive. <dontknow>

Was shopping bullets awhile back, looking over the vast seletion with a vapid expression on my face, when it hits me that the Barnes copper solids are about the same price as the Sierra bullets.  Holy crap!  That's a great deal!

Wait a minute...why is the Barnes box so much lighter?  20 bullets compared to 50?!?  What the hell?

Time to purchase that desktop CNC lathe I want and start cranking out pure copper bullets!  Some tungsten core stuff might be cool too!

Actually the alloy they use isn't quite pure.  They've messed with it enough to get proper tension and ductility.

Yeah...they are expensive.

All the more reason for me to invent a coin squasher that will squish quarters into a nice 190 BTSF (boat tail squish face).

Jon

When you say solid copper brother survival,are they eally solid copper? Given the price of copper they must be very expensive. <dontknow>

Not exactly sure what there composition is as far as metal is concerned , but did notice one thing all the .30 bullets have a little nipple/point dead in the middle , at the bottom , could have been turned ?

Bullets didn't cost me a cent . I originally had problems with bullet set back with some of them . I have fixed that in two ways , no expansion ball & or  bushing dies . both work well . I have found with commercial brass , the bushing die works great with the bushing size I ordered & with mil spec brass , just not using a expander ball gave good neck tension to keep the bullets securely .

Now Lee factory crimp dies for a positive crimp ,just to make sure  the bullet won't move .