• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

P226 Loaded Mag Rattle

skeeter

I have a question about my new p226, it seems once the magazine is fully loaded it rattles like a box of rocks, i have unloaded and loaded, tried various levels and anything above 9 rounds it will feel like the rounds are floating loose inside.

It doesnt seem to effect feed but it sure bugs the crap out of me.

Any ideas, or after market mags that dont have this issue?

Is this the 9mm?

I have the P226R .40 and the P220R Carry Elite, both of their mags are tight as drums.

I'd upgrade/update the mag springs. There should be enough power under the follower that the bullets don't move.

If you are shooting 9mm, I seem to remember something about the mags being modified .40 mags. Not sure where I heard that though. If that's the case, there's sure to be extra room inside the mag body. Still worth checking to see if there are something like a Wolf spring available.

It is common with double-stack magazines for some type of ammo to rattle around.

Like was already said, sometimes rapping the back of the loaded magazine against your palm will settle them, sometimes not.  Sometimes pushing the rounds down further into the magazine and shaking and tapping will work.

With the XD9 the 15-round mags will rattle but the 16-rounders do not.  With the XDm 3.8 Compact RNL or FMJ rattle until tapped, JHP just rattle...not much but enough for this obsessive compulsive to spend lots of time on it.

Jon